Questions about TERA Online

Ark of Truth

Has any one here played it? I was thinking about downloading it but at a massive 50GB download and 25GB install it's a lot of space to waste if I am not going to like it.

My questions are:

• Is it any good?
  • Can you progress to end game without spending RL cash?
  • Is PVP optional or is it forced in some areas?
  • Is combat click on to attack or hold left mouse to attack? (Like Oblivion)
  • Any other things I should know which make it good or bad.

Cheers

I found it to be horrifyingly boring. It's really grindy and the combat, at least for the class I was playing, felt really slow and clunky. The way combat works is rather than selecting an enemy to auto-attack, you press or hold the left mouse button and it'll just go through the auto-attack cycle and anything that gets hit by your weapon and is a valid target will be damaged; despite being advertised as "true action combat" this really doesn't feel like an action game and more feels like an MMO where you don't have to tab-target...which is still good in my book, but not what I was expecting. The most boring aspect are the quests, which are almost all summed up as "kill X, gather Y" and presented in the typical MMO chore-list fashion. Your mileage will vary there, but after playing GW2, I really can't go back to that old system.

Also in typical MMO fashion, I'm told that it gets better later on, but I really can't be arsed to force myself to play through something I don't enjoy just on the off chance that things will be justified later on when I have so many other games available to me that I do already enjoy. So I'd certainly not recommend this if you don't have much patience.

As for the free-to-play model, what I've seen seems pretty fair, though I never really touched the cash shop, but it seems like you can get by just fine even when doing that; so that's good! I wish I could help you more in that area of the game.

I wasn't really that fond of the game's insistence that my character must wear combat bootyshorts at all times and the little rabbit-girl race that run around in skimpy lingerie was also kind of a big red flag for me, the game is very much intended for an audience that likes more Asian-inspired aesthetics and doesn't have a problem with seeing things that invoke a mental image of pedobear hiding behind every bush and rock. To put it simply, this game made me feel very uncomfortable taking part in it for several different reasons. But if you can tolerate such things, more power to you.

Tera is maybe a good in some points the design is really good. but the gameplay is the same as any other new action combat MMO...

The quest system is old likke Kargrin sayed, but with alot of group quests after lvl 20... ( thats why i stopped playing it)

the most ones paying a bit money in it for some items yes. So high level isnt in any game cheap :/ sadly...

PvP is optional you have a Arena for that in the town , and some battlegrounds didnt tested it enough ...

The dungeons are nice , they are not so time consuming , and the loot form boss creeps is the best on the lvl what you can get.

- Better do not play alone or it getting fast boring...

- its a bit to boring after you played it

- similiar to the most quest systems of new and old MMOS

- crafting system is farm your ass off

+ Nice graphic and lovely design ( even for anime freaks)

+ Cool classes and nice races and a nice character design

+ Good Dungeons

+ at lvl 20-30 you have much fun

+ at 50-60 it will take really long and its getting boring

+ at lvl 60 the game begins in his full path

= IF you really love MMOS then try it

In my opnion it has the best combat system of all MMOs (I also playsed GW2 and Neverwinter and had not as much fun in combat as in Tera). The combat is not as fast as in the TES series or other singel playertitels because you a still mostly dependent from skills to deal dmg, evasion or heal etc. and those have cooldowns and sometimes casttimes. So the very litllte tactical component you have in MMOs like WOW is still there.

Leveling up your character goes rather fast, but the quest are very oldschools and boring as already stated. PvP is optional and I even think it's not the best choise if you are looking for a PvP game, the focuse here is definitively PvE

I play Tera Europe and I think it's one of the fairest f2p systems I experienced. You get the whole game content for free, have access to all chats and the auction-house. In the real money item shop you can only buy cosmetical items, faster mounts, pets that collect the drop for you and the usual convenience items like exp-booster etc.

But this may differ if you play the US-version or Asian version as they have for every region a other publisher.

So if you are looking for a new MMO experience would recomand you try it. It's complete free so you have not much to lose if you don't like it beside a bunch of usless downloaded pieces of information ;)

• Is it any good?

I did enjoyed it. The only down point I saw is if you don't have a good 5 man party you won't get last tier equipment.

• Can you progress to end game without spending RL cash?

Yes you can. The game is more focused if you can actually beat the last dungeon you will get the money to buy everything you need.

• Is PVP optional or is it forced in some areas?

There are pvp servers and pve servers. In pve servers there are battlegrounds if you wish to pvp but no pvp whatsoever besides that.

• Is combat click on to attack or hold left mouse to attack? (Like Oblivion)

You can hold left click to do your combo attack wich is the most basic skill, which pretty much is used by most classes to refill mana, rest are skills with CDs.

• Any other things I should know which make it good or bad.

The only bad I can think of It's the party thing for last dungeon only a few can do it and are filthy rich and the rest have to buy the stuff from them, and the best tier equipment can only be carfted with materials that binds on pick on last dungeon, so most people wont have it and most people don't even bother trying to get it.

In my opinion it's a good game you should give it a try and judge it for yourself.

I played it for about a month and well...im ready to drop it.

While the graphics are truly amazing, the game is incredibly boring (actually i never got so fast bored with an mmo like i did with Tera), the classes feel as if they only added a few ideas and didnt expanded them further, they lack depth, the feeling "hell yeah this is awesome" just wasnt there, atleast not for me.

From the 8 classes, none felt particulary memorable, maybe the berserker was okay but spamming 2 skills 1-60 can be only so much fun (yeah i know there are more skills but why use them anyway when you just spin to win).

The combat felt okay for the first time, but after a while the whole "action" part just went down to spamming skills and dodging/blocking here and there, just another mmo where i press skill numbers.

I am truly dissapointed.

Archived