Would like some help or assistant in removing a piece of an armour set in outfit studio.

So Ive been following this video I found on youtube regarding removing a piece of a section of the mesh with outfit / bodyslide program tool. I get the part masked then removed but the moment I save the item then do a preview in body slide the whole armour ends up distorted and looking wierd. Also the whole outfit doesnt fit the body anymore.

The video I followed ;

Spoiler

Now the outfit as I editted to remove the "gag" of the outfit. ;

Then once I save the NIF like the video I followed stated. I get this ;

The outfit I use is the DX Mistress. Use there body slide "Orgasm" Which I tweaked myself to have bigger breast. But I cant figure out where I'm going wrong. Or If i'm hitting the limitation of the program and actually need to load the meshes into a different program to cut pieces away of said outfit. Mind you this is the first time I even remotely trying to do something like this so a few pointers would really be appriciated. Not sure if this should have gone in the adult section either given it involves a NSFW outfit I figured better to post it in adult section xD

14 minutes ago, ghostwisp said:

So Ive been following this video I found on youtube regarding removing a piece of a section of the mesh with outfit / bodyslide program tool. I get the part masked then removed but the moment I save the item then do a preview in body slide the whole armour ends up distorted and looking wierd. Also the whole outfit doesnt fit the body anymore.

The video I followed ;

Reveal hidden contents

Now the outfit as I editted to remove the "gag" of the outfit. ;

Then once I save the NIF like the video I followed stated. I get this ;

The outfit I use is the DX Mistress. Use there body slide "Orgasm" Which I tweaked myself to have bigger breast. But I cant figure out where I'm going wrong. Or If i'm hitting the limitation of the program and actually need to load the meshes into a different program to cut pieces away of said outfit. Mind you this is the first time I even remotely trying to do something like this so a few pointers would really be appriciated. Not sure if this should have gone in the adult section either given it involves a NSFW outfit I figured better to post it in adult section xD

So the outfit comes with a body built into it, what you need to do is remove the feet sticking through the outfit with masking like you did the ball gag, make sure cbbe in the right panel is green then at the top click slider>set base shape then click slider>conform all and save the project but make sure "copy reference shape into output" is selected

Alright will give that go. and see if that will fix it. Granted not sure why the rest of the body would go all wierd if I remove just the legs, since the whole outfit went all wierd. Granted just to double check. I /edit/ the Body slide outfit mesh right not the original armour mesh as this item has a "normal CBBE" version and a "bodyslide version." as I want to later on get it to work with the edited version of the Orgasm body tweaks i made to that body (The creator stated the outfit was already made for orgasm body of theres.) but given I edited that slide figured i have to rebuild that later on so editted the mesh of the file that had the body slide in it. Sorry might sound bit confusing not sure how to explain it otherwise. ;

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/60131 <-- original file.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/60139 <-- the one i edited the meshes from.

Right so I removed the feet , then went to went to the slider, Confirmed. And then when saving the project I cant select reference shape into output its greyed out and none selectedable ; https://gyazo.com/900e21376817ea0970e522041de45bf6

Edited by ghostwisp

I'd just like to mention that what you're doing, ghostwisp, is the best approach to learning how to use Outfit Studio. Trying things and figuring out what fails and then figuring out what fixes what fails is far superior to following a video guide because you're actually learning what effects different actions have, and that in the long run will make you far superior to just following steps because no set of steps will work for every situation.

There are some principles I recommend you practice individually, and once you understand them you'll get a good feel for what to use when. I really can tell from your post that you have the potential to get very good at Outfit Studio.

Here are a few concepts I suggest you investigate:

1. When you need to conform sliders:

Any time you import something or inflate/deflate or change it, you need to conform the sliders. This said, once you have the sliders how you want them, you do not need to reconform the sliders when you change the bones or when you add zap sliders. Changing bones and adding/removing zap sliders does not mess up your conformed sliders.

This is important to keep in mind for more advanced outfits you'll make down the road in which you'll want to conform one piece to Uniboob and other pieces to nude sliders. Work on getting an understanding for what wipes out sliders and how to set them and preserve them while you work on other stuff.

2. When you need to use Conform All and when you need to use Conform Selected.

If you're using something where you want the reference body to have one behavior (such as vagina/anus morphs on some versions of Fusion Girl or on an outfit which uses Uniboob) and the clothing to have another behavior, avoid using Conform All. Instead, click the parts you want to conform to the sliders with which you're working, deselect any sliders you want to avoid, and then conform selected.

Basic outfits for which the body and the clothing will have the same behavior can use Conform All. But advanced outfits should avoid it.

3. When you need to "Copy Bone Weights" (which copies all the bones from the reference body to the outfit piece for the area the outfit piece touches) and when you need to "Copy Selected Weights" (which will keep all existing weights the outfit piece has and only attempt to add the new ones.

For instance, if there's something like a holster or a gag or a plug or a metal piece along the leg or something which you don't want to be affected by twisting and bending of the body, do not copy all bone weights. Just copy the weights you want the item to follow.

If you're using Fusion Girl which has vagina bones, do not copy the vagina bones onto a thong or panties or any clothing for that matter.

If you have short shorts or a bikini or the like which just barely touch the thigh bones, do not copy the thigh bones onto that outfit piece, or it'll distort when the legs move.

If the clothing piece has skirt physics (or long coat physics), never ever ever (ever) copy all the bone weights. Don't risk wiping out the cloth physics.

Basically pay attention to what bones do what and make decisions based on need rather than on procedure.

4. The newer version of Outfit Studio have a wonderful feature called Refine Mesh. In the past if you were working with clothing pieces which were too low polygon for the reference body, you'd get bad clipping on curvier presets, and you'd have to either export/import the pieces into Blender to add vertices (very cumbersome) or inflate the pieces (which can be ugly because it doesn't fit the body well).

But now you can highlight pieces of an outfit (such as breasts or crotch or butt or the like) and refine that part of the outfit mesh while keeping the rest the normal polygon count. This is, in my opinion, currently the best tool for dealing with clipping issues. Rather than inflating and distorting the shape, you can make low polygon areas of clothing match the polygons of the reference body more closely so they don't clip.

5. Methods for zap sliding.

Sometimes you want to only zap parts of a mesh piece, and sometimes you want to zap the whole thing. If you want to zap the whole thing, you can just click that part and add the zap slider and set it to automatically zap or hide as you wish. If you want to only zap a piece, you mask what you want to zap, invert the mask, and then add the zap slider.

Remember this process does not ruin bone weights nor existing conformed sliders so long as you don't move anything or inflate/deflate anything.

Well, I'll stop here. The point I am trying to make is a procedure to follow is fine for the most basic of stuff you do, but eventually you'll start doing things which no procedure can teach you. At this stage, do what you're doing and try stuff, think about it, and learn what the processes are doing rather than worrying about what a video tells you to do.

Edited by Karna5

Appriciate the help. will go back to it. Last night I just couldnt get it to work. So gonna start all the way over. Load the outfit from the vortex folder (the one with the sliders) then redo all the masking. Then the Slider confirm and that and try to save it to said file that I opened. Granted I just want the gag to be least removed partly so the collar stays (looks wierd as hell without it. But the gag is just not my cup of tea looks like a golfbal xD. I'll be happy when I figured that out. Anything more advance ? well that can wait for now first babysteps before I overload myself with overzealous ideas that might creep up in my head. However appriciate the tips and defaintly marking them down in a readme file.

So once again went through all the motions of editing the items. Then ended up with this after exporting the mesh to the file I opened. ; https://gyazo.com/ca7705d58491b1d6c7037a044cd4eb57 not sure where im going wrong. Cause in the outfit studio its fine. I export the item. Then go to close bodyslide. Run vortex let it do its thing then open body studio again do a preview on the first tab and voila that screen xD I swear im doing something wrong and I just got no clue what.

So step one I do is, Load bodyslide up through vortex.

Then go to studio , From there I have an empty screen then go to load outfit.

Once there I select the mesh I want to edit. Give the project a name since it says "new outfit" For sake of it named it DX Mistress Edited V1.

Then I move to the masking stuff to remove what I dont want.

Once done with all that I select the CBBE part.

Go to Sliders > set base shape, followed with sliders confirm all.

Then go to Save project as. I cant select anything regarding Copy reference. Its fully grey out and none selectable so I do a save.

Then close the studio, then the body slide. Close vortex. Reboot vortex up agian it says files been edited outside vortex. Select keep the change.

Boot up bodyslide. And viola the screen shot I just posted

/headdesks xD I'm to stupid for this I swear ><

1 hour ago, ghostwisp said:

Then go to studio , From there I have an empty screen then go to load outfit.

Hi, Ghostwisp. Did a video tutorial tell you to do that? I think that right there is super complicating the process for you and exposing you to extra problems. I'll tell you how I start my projects in a moment.

As for that photo, I've seen the results like that long ago. I think it came from missing the bones in the project. I really think you're getting burnt by starting with an empty project.

I start with the original outfit project and use the Save As feature to begin. This guarantees I start with the bones as the original author painted them (especially useful for skirt outfits), and it means all I have to do with bone weights is delete the lbreast/rbreast bones and add the FG bones.

I made this video when I first figured out the basics of FG conversions, but don't take it as a be all end all. It's just a starting point from which you can figure out more advanced stuff afterward (like what I mentioned above).

Edited by Karna5

Ye video I linked in my first post. Maybe I just misunderstood what the guy meant or did something wrong myself. i'll take a look later after work to your video see if that works. Appriciate the help. Defaintly makes it easier then trying to use google and hoping to randomly stumble onto something to get me off the ground (how i found that video). When I started I figured it was all easy just grab the file from the folder the outfit came from. load it into outfit studio then just "alpha/hide" the outfit parts you dont want. Nop. Doesnt work that way.

Edited by ghostwisp
11 hours ago, ghostwisp said:

Maybe I just misunderstood what the guy meant or did something wrong myself.

I really doubt it was your fault. I've seen some of those tutorials which have you starting with empty projects and doing everything the ridiculously hard way and the quick and dirty ways, and they always distress me because they might have been okay advice in 2015 or early 2016, but they're very bad advice now.

Congrats on getting it to work in game! It'll get easier for you. Soon you'll be past the hard part of the learning curve :)