Few Questions Regarding Custom Races

After pouring over 300 hours into Skyrim I have finally decided to try a custom race. However I have never used one and I would like to know the important details about it. More importantly what has me concerned is knowing whether I can use showracemenu to change into said custom race without any hassle. Any help is appreciated :)!

After pouring over 300 hours into Skyrim I have finally decided to try a custom race. However I have never used one and I would like to know the important details about it. More importantly what has me concerned is knowing whether I can use showracemenu to change into said custom race without any hassle. Any help is appreciated :)!

showracemenu is horrendously unreliable. It scrambles your skills. Some people have had success using the God mode command, but I wouldn't trust that either. I've had characters revert to the previous race or lose their head as many as 15 saves deep.

Start a new game. It's much safer, guaranteed not to scramble months of progress, and many times replaying previous content with all new abilities proves to be quite enjoyable.

Trykz

showracemenu is horrendously unreliable. It scrambles your skills. Some people have had success using the God mode command, but I wouldn't trust that either. I've had characters revert to the previous race or lose their head as many as 15 saves deep.

Start a new game. It's much safer, guaranteed not to scramble months of progress, and many times replaying previous content with all new abilities proves to be quite enjoyable.

Trykz

Or get http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/20394/?

You'll still get a levelup but your skills won't be all over the place anymore.

Not much else to know about custom races. Some have custom folder locations for their body meshes and textures but that's pretty much it.

I would like to note that changing your race mid-game gives problems in any case. Not just for custom races.

For instance, as Vamp or Werewolf after switching races, you will always revert to what your character first was. In any case.

If you don't mind your skills getting slightly scrambled (due to the change in base skills for instance), and don't want to become a vamp/werewolf then it's probably less of a problem. Still never recommended, though.

I hope that helps.

Archived