MERP

Guest Unimatrix0

i have never tried this mod   but following the description in nexus you can read

"Incompatibility
We recommend to have no other mods in your MERP installation (except for recommended ones).

MERP is planned as a Total-Conversion. That means that there will likely be incompatibilities with other mods. Primarily, it may be incompatible with other mods that add a new worldspace. Theoretically, that means that they should not be activated at the same time as the ground could potentially disappear depending on load order, this is an engine issue and cannot be prevented."

I think it means you need to switch off all other mod than try and test the mod itself and after  switch on other mods   correct the load order to see if there is conflics.

Guest Unimatrix0

Thanks for the suggestion kingkong, but I have no other mods installed. I can play the mod, towns npc's landscape all seem to be working, but I have not come across any enimies and there are no structures in Rivendell. I guess I'm not sure if the mod is unfinshed or if I need to reinstall or if it's just a sparsely populated world.

Guest Unimatrix0

I'm not sure what you mean, I seem to be able to launch the game through either launcher. And np thanks for the help anyway. :D

Guest Unimatrix0

did you directed obse launcher to the merp launcher  instead of oblivion launcher  ?  

...erm...how would I go about doing that? I sould note that because I am playing the steam version of Oblivion there are some restrictions on the merp+obse launcher(s) functionality.

Merp is a work in progress that is a long way from being finished.  It is a massive project that will likely take several more years to complete.....that is if the modding team sticks with it of course.

So the download was titled 'final release', are they just moving on to MERP for Skyrim without finishing this one?

did you directed obse launcher to the merp launcher  instead of oblivion launcher  ?  

...erm...how would I go about doing that? I sould note that because I am playing the steam version of Oblivion there are some restrictions on the merp+obse launcher(s) functionality.

Merp is a work in progress that is a long way from being finished.  It is a massive project that will likely take several more years to complete.....that is if the modding team sticks with it of course.

So the download was titled 'final release', are they just moving on to MERP for Skyrim without finishing this one?

Did you not even bother to read the description of the plugin? 

It is right at the freaking top:

Please note that this Total Conversion project is still in an early BETA state.

Followed by this:

The version 0.2.6 is our last Beta release for TES IV: Oblivion. It contains everything we created so far including generated regions, popular sites and some NPCs in the town of Bree.

There will be no further major updates for the Oblivion branch of MERP since we will from now on concentrate fully on developing MERP for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

I suggest you read the OP of plugins instead of going to a completely different forum and asking.  It will save you a bit of time.  ;)

Guest Unimatrix0

You're right, my bad!...on a couple of  levels. 

In my defense I had not visited the nexus page which I'm assuming you're referring to. I downloaded it from mod db where there has been no word about any progress since this time last year. 

But I was also stupid enough to miss this: "The 0.2.65 is the last version of MERP which will be on the Oblivion engine. We are working on Skyrim only from now on."

...right underneath the giant download button no less.

So it is the final release.

Thanks for taking the time guys, I appreciate it...

Right now the team's efforts have been forcefully halted, so they aren't developing anything for any platform at the moment:

Warner Brothers have sent them a cease & desist order.

Seems the MERP developers are trying to reason with WB by sending a message explaining the non-profit nature of their project.

Guest Unimatrix0

Yea, I saw that, I remeber signing the petition. I'll send letters, to me this isnt just about merp. It's like someone walking up to some kids playing a game of make belive lotr and saying, "No, we own these names, images and storylines, you are not allowed to recreate and enjoy it. We will sue you if you keep talking in that Gandalf voice Timmy."

It's like going after fan art. It is going after fan art. It's crazy.

A crime against art, so to speak. I wonder if creators like Tolkien, Frank Herbert or Robert E. Howard did approve of this behaviour? They'd certainly be disgusted by the blatant abuse of power the current copyright owners of their creations are demonstrating here (LOTR being only one example of many).

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add some info,I asked MERP team why they dont complete Oblivion.A MERP team member told me that they moved to Skyrim because Oblivion was becoming increasingly unstable.So we should rather forget about Oblivion MERP and see whats gonna happen with Skyrim MERP.

They have a few ideas/alternative ways to fight C&D,but unless they reach an agreement or WB decides to make a TES-like Middle earth RPG( I highly doubt they can),all we can do is wait :(

Now,if some of our great modders get permission and try finish Oblivion MERP with NPCs-quests etc,I'd vote  for them for congress :)

Archived