(xEdit Advice Needed) Which Compatibility-Patches Should I Make?

(If you don't understand, sorry! English isn't my motherlanguage. I'm trying to do my best!)

(Go below image to skip opening!)

I was installing a new mod as before. And reading the description, I found a note for compatibility like:

'This mod edits the vanilla race entries directly. It will be incompatible with any mods that touches vanilla race entries. Load at the end of the load order, and use the provided patches. Patching for you own mods should be extremely simple using FO4edit.'

If there are already made plug-ins and if it works, then it is the best scenario for me.

.. I know it's not going to happen. X)

So I want to make my own compatibility-patches (and I should) but, I think I'm not really good/skilled at this tool, xEdit.

I need a few advice.. Can I? T vT

Which_Patch_Should_I_Make.png.eefc391bb6c1f3b7532cb914cd09eb36.png

1. Did I understand 'What color does it mean?' correct?

- Bright green lines mean 'There's nothing conflicted.'

- Yellow lines mean 'There are newly made/adjusted IDs/values but not conflicted.'

- Red lines mean 'There are newly made/adjusted values, targeting the same IDs but values are differently applied among loaded mods. So conflicted.'

2. Do I have to make compatibility-patches in specific case like below?

- When there are red lines in xEdit.

- When the newly installed mod reverts things of other mod(s) that I've installed before.

3. (or 2-2.)

Let's say I have mod A and mod B.

mod B edits the same ID which mod A does, so mod B has its patch. (mod B`)

In this moment, I install mod C.

mod C edits the same ID which mod A does, so mod C also has its patch. (mod C`)

Then now the modlist should look like below:

- mod A

- mod B

- mod B`

- mod C

- mod C`

In this case, Is mod B` still valid?

Or do I have to make a patch(mod B-C`) for both mod B and mod C because mod B` isn't valid anymore?

4. If mods edit the same ID but different records, then no compatibility patches needed?

Edited by Younhee

Wow,  first, it is excellent that you want to learn.  That is great!   Second, you have some reading ahead for you, but if you can follow an English speaking youtube video then I would start with this one

Spoiler
Spoiler

Third, you should be using this site to answer some questions  (https://tes5edit.github.io/docs/5-conflict-detection-and-resolution.html)

Fourth, no that is not what the colors mean.  Right below the paypal button there is the "legend" which tells you want the colors mean, both the highlighted color and the text color.

Fifth, patches are usually put in place to bring specific functionality to an item.   So, lets say that in your example Mod A changes "Nuka Cola" to "Coca Cola", while Mod B makes "Nuka Cola " give you a +4 strength.    Patch B' would come in and make "nuka cola with the +4 strength" into "Coca Cola with the +4 strength".    

In this case, you will see a color bar for the entry for "nuka cola" and it will show you which mod (A B or B') is the conflict winner, meaning which one shows up in game. 

Now you add Mod C, that changes "Nuka Cola" to "Lake Baykal Vodka" with a +20 strength (against Ukrainians only).    So, you have to decide.  Do you want your Nuka Cola to become "Lake Baykal Vodka" or "Coca Cola" as you can't have it both ways (a critical conflict).      Mod C will also conflict with Mod B as one increases strength by 4 while the other increases it by 20, another critical conflict.     Patch C' would have to make decisions suck as calling nuka cola "Coca Cola and Lake Baykal Vodkha" which gives a +24 strength.  

Patch B' is no longer needed because in the case I presented above, it will be totally overwritten and Vortex will recommend disabling it..

Yes, in your case you will have to make a patch for both B and C.

I do not understand your last question.    The final mod that edits the ID will become the ID for everything, so if it is missing one of the things you want, that won't show up. 

Bottom line, you should only have one patch for two mods, that modify different aspects of whatever.    

One more bottom line:   What you ask is like asking to "program code", so read that document I provided above before you start making your own patches.    It will save you a lot of work.   Also consider using Creation Kit instead of FO4edit.    While FO4edit is quite capable, Creation Kit is designed for non programmers (it will "fill in the blanks" where as FO4Edit requires you do make sure you fill in all the "blanks". )

Someone else may have a more succinct answer, but  hope this helps.

12 hours ago, steelpanther24 said:

Wow,  first, it is excellent that you want to learn.  That is great!   Second, you have some reading ahead for you, but if you can follow an English speaking youtube video then I would start with this one

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

Third, you should be using this site to answer some questions  (https://tes5edit.github.io/docs/5-conflict-detection-and-resolution.html)

Fourth, no that is not what the colors mean.  Right below the paypal button there is the "legend" which tells you want the colors mean, both the highlighted color and the text color.

Fifth, patches are usually put in place to bring specific functionality to an item.   So, lets say that in your example Mod A changes "Nuka Cola" to "Coca Cola", while Mod B makes "Nuka Cola " give you a +4 strength.    Patch B' would come in and make "nuka cola with the +4 strength" into "Coca Cola with the +4 strength".    

In this case, you will see a color bar for the entry for "nuka cola" and it will show you which mod (A B or B') is the conflict winner, meaning which one shows up in game. 

Now you add Mod C, that changes "Nuka Cola" to "Lake Baykal Vodka" with a +20 strength (against Ukrainians only).    So, you have to decide.  Do you want your Nuka Cola to become "Lake Baykal Vodka" or "Coca Cola" as you can't have it both ways (a critical conflict).      Mod C will also conflict with Mod B as one increases strength by 4 while the other increases it by 20, another critical conflict.     Patch C' would have to make decisions suck as calling nuka cola "Coca Cola and Lake Baykal Vodkha" which gives a +24 strength.  

Patch B' is no longer needed because in the case I presented above, it will be totally overwritten and Vortex will recommend disabling it..

Yes, in your case you will have to make a patch for both B and C.

I do not understand your last question.    The final mod that edits the ID will become the ID for everything, so if it is missing one of the things you want, that won't show up. 

Bottom line, you should only have one patch for two mods, that modify different aspects of whatever.    

One more bottom line:   What you ask is like asking to "program code", so read that document I provided above before you start making your own patches.    It will save you a lot of work.   Also consider using Creation Kit instead of FO4edit.    While FO4edit is quite capable, Creation Kit is designed for non programmers (it will "fill in the blanks" where as FO4Edit requires you do make sure you fill in all the "blanks". )

Someone else may have a more succinct answer, but  hope this helps.

Absolutely, absolutely it helps!

Although I need more time to catch all the detail and draw an actual result, now I think I find what I should learn first and where I should start. (As mentioned before, English so hard!)

(And I have never noticed the word 'legend' has such meaning.. T vT)

And fortunately, I think I can hear the Youtube video which you give me. I don't know why, but I can. (...)

Thank you, Steelpanther! ^0 ^