No visible files when navigating through MO??

I started a new build from scratch after I accidently let my game update. I'm back to a new, clean SSE version 1.5.97. I am currently on Step 04.2 Installing SKSE, 4. Open MO and press the Install mod button 5. Navigate to the skse64_<version>.7z file and select. 

ISSUE: When I navigate to Skyrim SE through MO and open the folder there are only empty folders inside. No visible files. But outside of MO all of the files are present. Where did I go wrong??

The attached screen print is a picture of: (Left) the Skyrim SE folder opened through MO with no visible files and (Right) SSE folder opened with visible files.

The reason I say not visible is because the files are there I think but just can't see them because if I copy a file from (using screen print as example) the folder on the right and the paste it inside of the folder in MO on the left, it duplicates the file on the right side and names it as (2) (second file with same name. 

Any & All tips/help appreciated. Thanks...

example of MO issue.docx

Edited by soileau

How did you open the folder from MO?

(Personally, I use MO2 rather than MO, but there's several ways of opening the folder from MO2 and I imagine that that would also be true in MO. The MO2 action which I imagine corresponds to what you want is selecting "Explore Virtual Folder in the upper right hand corner drop down and then hitting Run.)

((I cannot see the folder on the left clearly, but it looks like there's a "Mod Archive" button in the lower right. This suggests that you used a mechanism which is looking for a specific file type, so the browsing window will filter out everything which is not a folder or an example of that type of file.))

I'm using MO2 and I'm ticking image.png.3bc44a004d6c7876cd015ce31b48d316.png  to navigate to my SSE folder but when I open the folder there are no files. Actually I can navigate to and open any folder on my PC and the files are invisible. But if I'm out of MO2 and go to my folders the files are there. I did something wrong or missed something following the guide and I haven't figured it out. This didn't happen on my first build. Not this early in the step anyway, Lol.

I see the "Mod Archive" button in the lower right that you speak of and it is there every time I open MO2. I think I'm going to backtrack a bit and see if I can find what I missed. Thank you for taking the time to help!!

Mod Organizer 2 & Other tools v1.1.3.pdf

1 hour ago, soileau said:

I started a new build from scratch after I accidently let my game update. I'm back to a new, clean SSE version 1.5.97. I am currently on Step 04.2 Installing SKSE, 4. Open MO and press the Install mod button 5. Navigate to the skse64_<version>.7z file and select. 

ISSUE: When I navigate to Skyrim SE through MO and open the folder there are only empty folders inside. No visible files. But outside of MO all of the files are present. Where did I go wrong??

The attached screen print is a picture of: (Left) the Skyrim SE folder opened through MO with no visible files and (Right) SSE folder opened with visible files.

The reason I say not visible is because the files are there I think but just can't see them because if I copy a file from (using screen print as example) the folder on the right and the paste it inside of the folder in MO on the left, it duplicates the file on the right side and names it as (2) (second file with same name. 

Any & All tips/help appreciated. Thanks...

example of MO issue.docx 250.47 kB · 1 download

It is working as intended. MO uses a virtual file system for skyrims data folder. So your actual skyrim data folder should be empty if you are using MO, When you run skse through MO the plugins will be loaded in order in the right pane and mod assets will be loaded in order on the left pane.

When using MO once you have these 2 concepts down everything else is easy

- MO only handles the data folder, In the Case of skse  it has binaries that need to be manually installed in skyrims main folder. The skse scripts that belong in the data folder need to be installed through MO (the folder/disc icon second from left).

- All tools/3rd party software needs to be run through MO so it uses the virtual file system this includes skse. Some stuff like FNIS and bodyslide you install like any other mod. Other stuff can be installed anywhere. Easier for you to look up a tutorial on YT than for me to explain it.

Good luck

On 12/3/2021 at 2:04 AM, scarebear2403 said:

It is working as intended. MO uses a virtual file system for skyrims data folder. So your actual skyrim data folder should be empty if you are using MO, When you run skse through MO the plugins will be loaded in order in the right pane and mod assets will be loaded in order on the left pane.

When using MO once you have these 2 concepts down everything else is easy

- MO only handles the data folder, In the Case of skse  it has binaries that need to be manually installed in skyrims main folder. The skse scripts that belong in the data folder need to be installed through MO (the folder/disc icon second from left).

- All tools/3rd party software needs to be run through MO so it uses the virtual file system this includes skse. Some stuff like FNIS and bodyslide you install like any other mod. Other stuff can be installed anywhere. Easier for you to look up a tutorial on YT than for me to explain it.

Good luck

Thank you very much. Your explanation made me realize I was not understanding two steps in the guide and attempting to apply them. Now I know why it wasn't working. This is my second time using the guide and I didn't bog down here the first time. Well I had deleted everything so I'm currently installing new game and starting from scratch.

Thanks again..