Adding a CK Created Follower Messes Up Game

I've created a custom follower in Creation Kit, using this tutorial. I even added him into the world and he's there and he'll follow and everything.

HOWEVER, once I activate the .esp file to use the follower in a game, any time I load a save the game appears to think I'm starting a new game and freaks out (I get the Estrus startup messages, I get mods saying they're initiating, I get SL Survival saying "a little bondage adventure" is compelte, the PC loses all their health, Dripping When Aroused says it's borked (over and over again), schlongs of skyrim says things are missing... it's a complete mess.

Even if I deacivate the .esp (in Vortex), the save games are messed up. But if I roll back to a different profile where I never activated the .esp for the follower, things are fine.

I've messed around a bit. trying to see what triggered it and it really does seem to be the "activate the custom follower .esp" that triggers the weird behaviour.

Does anyone have any idea what the cause could be (and how to fix it)?

I've attached my Papyrus log just in case it's useful in some way.

Papyrus.0.log

Edited by Anunya
6 hours ago, ReverendFelix said:

These 2 statements are confusing me...?

That's probably because it's a poorly constructed post, now that I reread it. Let me try again :)

I followed all the steps in the tutorial (except the hair stuff, I limited myself to vanilla content).

After following those steps, I had a plugin containing my work (just like the tutorial says). If you use Vortex (as I do), the plugin will be visible with a greyed out "Disabled" button next to it in plugin view. You can click it to "Enable" it.

Once I enabled the plugin, I went to where I'd placed the follower in CK. He was there! He had the appropriate "Follow Me" dialogue. He followed my PC. It worked and I'd apparently taken my very first baby step towards making mods and I was pleased.

Except, the moment I saved, quit, and reloaded the save the game puked like I described in my previous post. Even if I go back and disable the plugin in Vortex the game pukes when I load a save. The behaviour even happens if I disable the plugin and go back to a much earlier save, which seems pretty weird to me.

I've tested it a bunch today, and it really seems like it's the plugin with the character that's messing things up... did I miss a crucial step somewhere? Does CK need some additional setting? Did I completely misunderstand something? Did I just pass some arbitrary limit in plugins and this caused a cascading link of failures? I dunno....