Outward Nude Mod

It's been a few years since this game came out and it already has a modding community, so I'm surprised there aren't any nude mods for it anywhere out there. It's probably because there just hasn't been enough interest in the game, but has anyone come across any technical reasons it might not be possible? I'll be away from my PC for about a week but I can look into what it takes to create a nude mod when I get back home if there's enough people who would like to see it happen.

Edited by _DingleBerry_

I did some investigating of my own, and I now understand why this game doesn't have any nude mods. Most modern games that feature an "undressed" base character model use a separate model for the character and their underwear, so it's pretty easy to just remove the underwear and then you have yourself a nude character model. Well in Outward the underwear is part of the geometry for the entire character model, so if you remove it there's nothing underneath.

However, there is hope, because the character models themselves are relatively low poly compared to most other games and it may not be too much work to alter them to create a "nude" model. The female model will be significantly easier than the male model because its underwear is more form fitting. The male model will take a bit more work because part of its legs need to be re-modeled, and then there's also the issue of adding a dong. There is an armor set called the "Dancer Armor" which is more revealing and gives us a little bit more of the body to work with, it can be used to add back some of the missing body parts. Then textures will have to be created, but there are already fully nude skin texture in the files that don't look like they're being used, so we won't need to start completely from scratch.

I'll do my best to work on and manage all of this. Making a nude mod for this game certainly is doable, it's just not going to be as simple as I initially hoped.

• 3 months later...

Personally, I have never really figured out unity modding.

Unity games seem to want you to have an exact copy of the game dev environment, with lots of version sensitivities.

(The kinds of modding I know how to do, instead, start with detailed file format documentation and tools which mostly avoid touching the "version sensitive" aspects of the games.)

Anyways, the "hello world" stage of modding development is sometimes the hardest part. Pulling the right pieces together, and explaining to other people how to make it work, seems to be an essential part of the modding process.

If a nude mod is too hard, maybe a hair mod or a weapons mod would be a better place to start?

• 1 year later...

In this game, Outward contains two main folders, one is for old edition, the other is for "definitive" edition. For some reasons, the game makes you point to old edition to play by default.

Made a mod for the definitive edition one, so in order to use this mod, you change the desktop shortcut for Outward to point to "steam://rungameid/1758860" to play the definitive version.

Female character (without equiping clothes):

image.png.a894d24c0d1903cd59a734053d88351b.png

Tested in Steam.

You can try this mod if you don't mind fighting enemies without armor to see the mod, lol.

Navigate to Outward\Outward_Defed\Outward Definitive Edition_Data, then backup your file before replacing.

Female character.rar

Edited by ZenithMob
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I mean, removing the underwear is the main thing. I have just been editing one of the female retexture mods and adding some abs and a few tattoos. But I am having trouble finding the underwear file so I can make it invisible, as the female base layer is nude already. You just need to remove the underwear file or make it paint it as transparent. I have no idea what the underwear files are kept though. 

EDIT: That being said I use the original version of outward (Mainly as I cba to install the entire game, then install the entire game again to play the slightly different version of the game, like for real the devs couldn't just release it as it's own game, you need to download it as a DLC but you still have to download the normal version first, which the "DLC" replaces. It has been bugging me for ages) and the files are a little different, harder to find texture files in the original game. 

Edited by ThatNorresGuy
More info