Ada will pretend to be dismissed like any other companion - but instead of going to the settlement she's assigned to, she insists on following me around instead. She also doesn't show up as assignable to settlement tasks.

I've tried:

1. Switching companions back and forth

2. Uninstalling/reinstalling Automatron

3. The paxfool fix

4. cf "actor.setcompanion" false false

and a couple other console commands that showed up googling this

The only thing that seems to have worked was starting a new game, but I'm 44 hours into this playthrough and I really don't want to start over again. :( I was kind of interested that most of the similar bug requests have had companion management mods installed - I don't, the only companion mods I have are the Loving Cait/Piper/Curie series of makeover mods... and AAF Violate which seems to touch companions.

Is there a mod I could install that may fix my issue? Or something I haven't tried? Anyone know?

What happens if you go back to a previous save and dismiss her?

Another suggestion is to tell her to wait and then just leave, if Fallout 4 has the same system as Skyrim they'll go back to their previous assigned place after a couple days (maybe?)

18 hours ago, Marg597 said:

What happens if you go back to a previous save and dismiss her?

Another suggestion is to tell her to wait and then just leave, if Fallout 4 has the same system as Skyrim they'll go back to their previous assigned place after a couple days (maybe?)

Previous saves had the same problem. I did have an old save from 15 hours of play before.... :(

17 hours ago, NotKinkyEnough said:

What is Paxfool?

I have had this happen with a few different npcs, something is driving them to follow even when I put them in TD X-frames and TAI their brains off, they still follow

Paxfool was a user with a similar problem but found a fix and it's kind of complicated so rather than detail it I referred to the user. :)  I think that thread was over at Nexus. And yeah it was a TAI thing!

I actually found a fix for mine, if someone else comes across this problem - purging my mods made Ada ZIP off to her home. So I re-enabled them and started disabling them one by one... Ada didn't leave until I killed Devious Devices and its requirement mods. That could just be a mod memory / Fallout Script Extender thing, though. On the other hand, Fallrim found a lot of dangling scripts related to DD.

So I'd recommend

1. Running Falllrim, then maybe

2. disabling DD.... or

3. just purging, saving and reenabling. Sure you lose "stat" progress and stuff with some mods, and the clothes from mods disappear, but restoring my mod order was actually a pain and AAF needed to be restarted via console before it would work again.

But everything seems to be working now! *knock on wood*