Normal map exaggerated after mesh tweak

moorman

I've spent the past week learning a lot, but so much of this information is so hard to find I'm running out of steam, so I'm asking for help.

I learned how to modify a mesh and have done a couple successfully, but this one I can't seem to figure out why my normal map goes crazy after just slightly nudging some vertices in the mesh.  I took the Triss Retextured armor and reduced the breasts a little, but the result is that the normal map looks very exaggerated.  

Any ideas as to what can be done to restore the normal map to, well, normal?

Here are some before/after shots:

normal1.jpg

normal2.jpg

Guest SemiPr0

Open the mesh in nifskope, under BSShaderLightingProperty, and in BS Texture Set, click in the list below and find BS Num UV Sets, if thats been set to a 1, set it to 4097, hit enter, then right click on the mesh and choose Mesh->Face Normals, then again and Mesh->Update Tangent Space. Then save.

Open the mesh in nifskope, under BSShaderLightingProperty, and in BS Texture Set, click in the list below and find BS Num UV Sets, if thats been set to a 1, set it to 4097, hit enter, then right click on the mesh and choose Mesh->Face Normals, then again and Mesh->Update Tangent Space. Then save.

Well since this got moved, I must have dropped the post from the wrong tab, so I'm not sure where it came out originally, apologies for any confusion.  My BSShaderLightingProperty is actually BSLightingShaderProperty and doesn't have the BS Num UV; that's under NiTriShapeData which was already at 4097.  For grins I tried setting it to 1, saving, then back to 4097, Face Normals, Update Tangent Space and save, but no change.  :(

Guest SemiPr0

Well since this got moved, I must have dropped the post from the wrong tab, so I'm not sure where it came out originally, apologies for any confusion.  My BSShaderLightingProperty is actually BSLightingShaderProperty and doesn't have the BS Num UV; that's under NiTriShapeData which was already at 4097.  For grins I tried setting it to 1, saving, then back to 4097, Face Normals, Update Tangent Space and save, but no change.   :(

Thats quite odd, I've never seen normals get exaggerated like that from a 3DSMax export unless you did something with the normal while in 3DSMax which I kind of doubt. Generally a 3DS export completely fucks your normals but the other way meaning they go all flat and shiny and you have to fix it in Nifshope.

All I did was prep the nif for export (del shaders, change user vers 12->11, 83->34), pull into blender, del skelly, move some verts, assign parts, assign mats, import skelly, export all, nif fixes. I can use a normal from another version of triss, and it's not exaggerated, but her back half is very dark...the normal from the retexture ver is much better aside from not liking my tweak.

I worked some on learning how to do normals late last night, but my brain was turning to mush. I only have so much time to dedicate to something so frivolous, and I'm really over budget as is; but I'm a little ocd.

Archived