Are there any people here who are working on a more complex penis mod based on Simple Shafts? Or have we collectively decided that lack of foreskin/pubic hair is ok?

I know there aren't that many ppl capable of 3D modelling here but just curious to see if there was already something in the works or not 

• 4 weeks later...

I've had a play around with it, but it's actually quite a pain to work with.

Basically, the game has a basic male mesh, and twenty-odd "blendshapes" which are based on that mesh and distort it in different ways (obesity, dwarfism, etc).

The basic male mesh doesn't have enough vertices to make a penis, so you need to add some to the model. This, however, breaks every single male blendshape, because blendshapes expect a certain amount of verts in the basic male mesh (in game, this shows up as a Lovecraftian explosion, which you may have seen with buggy mods). The only way to fix this, which is what the author of SS did, is to go through the blendshapes one by one and add the exact same penis model. Unfortunately, this makes it really difficult to do things like update the penis, as any change to the base model needs to be made every single time to every single blendshape, in exactly the same way.

It'd be great if someone was able to write a reusable Blender script, or something of this nature, to attach a penis mesh to the same point in the basic male mesh + every single blendshape, but this is probably beyond the capacity of the average modder. It's more of a professional 3D programmer thing.

One alternative I explored is adding the penis as a separate model altogether - similarly to how Princes of Darkness adds extra limbs and eyes. The problem with this is that you can't always display it (or it will clip through trousers, just like it did in the first few versions of Cyberpunk 2077), so you need a way to toggle it on when the guy is wearing no pants, and off when he is - and it just doesn't look like this is possible with CK3 scripting as we know it (I would be happy to be proven wrong on this).

In the meanwhile, there's nothing stopping someone from doing what SS did and manually adding their preferred penis model to the male base mesh + every single blendshape; it's just slow and tedious, and it's going to be a pain to update later or if the game updates those meshes / blendshapes.

Edited by theodoro
4 hours ago, theodoro said:

One alternative I explored is adding the penis as a separate model altogether - similarly to how Princes of Darkness adds extra limbs and eyes. The problem with this is that you can't always display it (or it will clip through trousers, just like it did in the first few versions of Cyberpunk 2077), so you need a way to toggle it on when the guy is wearing no pants, and off when he is - and it just doesn't look like this is possible with CK3 scripting as we know it (I would be happy to be proven wrong on this).

Doesn't the leaf paradox uses work in this way though? Or at least I think it is, I might be wrong.

1 hour ago, rhipeen said:

Doesn't the leaf paradox uses work in this way though? Or at least I think it is, I might be wrong.

That is an excellent pick up. I tried editing the leaf and I was able to get the below in game fairly quickly. It's bright and shiny because I haven't given it any normal / specular mapping, but that should be fixable.

Given that it's technically clothing, not sure how well it will handle things like different skin colors though. I'll experiment further.

20210616211559_1.jpg

Edited by theodoro

OK, wow. Matching it skin color actually wasn't all that hard. See my friends below.

There are definitely still lots of outstanding issues though - it would need some additional modelling work to attach seamlessly to the body, and some better mapping / texturing work to look a little more realistic. Probably some testing too, to ensure it works for all body types.

Also, unsure how easily I can use blend-shapes to stretch it, so unsure whether it can come in different sizes and shapes.

Finally, there are occasionally dark streak marks across the laps of lighter skinned characters, which would affect the penis too, as it uses the skin shader. I think this may be a vanilla bug.

20210616220027_1.jpg20210616221408_1.jpg.0d0dfe5e65be2c80211d41348a3f34a6.jpg

Edited by theodoro
20 hours ago, theodoro said:

I've had a play around with it, but it's actually quite a pain to work with.

Basically, the game has a basic male mesh, and twenty-odd "blendshapes" which are based on that mesh and distort it in different ways (obesity, dwarfism, etc).

The basic male mesh doesn't have enough vertices to make a penis, so you need to add some to the model. This, however, breaks every single male blendshape, because blendshapes expect a certain amount of verts in the basic male mesh (in game, this shows up as a Lovecraftian explosion, which you may have seen with buggy mods). The only way to fix this, which is what the author of SS did, is to go through the blendshapes one by one and add the exact same penis model. Unfortunately, this makes it really difficult to do things like update the penis, as any change to the base model needs to be made every single time to every single blendshape, in exactly the same way.

It'd be great if someone was able to write a reusable Blender script, or something of this nature, to attach a penis mesh to the same point in the basic male mesh + every single blendshape, but this is probably beyond the capacity of the average modder. It's more of a professional 3D programmer thing.

In the meanwhile, there's nothing stopping someone from doing what SS did and manually adding their preferred penis model to the male base mesh + every single blendshape; it's just slow and tedious, and it's going to be a pain to update later or if the game updates those meshes / blendshapes.

I've been able to increase the vertex counts without having to completely redo all the models (of course the problem is that users often don't understand that mod conflicts create said Lovecraftian explosion). When I update my mod next the models will have plenty enough vertices on the penis to model whatever you want. I was going to try to model a foreskin myself. The issue I ran into was I modelled it fine on the base model and fine on the penis size max model but everything in between didn't work. (the head basically clipped through the foreskin).

13 hours ago, Mange2020 said:

I've been able to increase the vertex counts without having to completely redo all the models (of course the problem is that users often don't understand that mod conflicts create said Lovecraftian explosion). When I update my mod next the models will have plenty enough vertices on the penis to model whatever you want. I was going to try to model a foreskin myself. The issue I ran into was I modelled it fine on the base model and fine on the penis size max model but everything in between didn't work. (the head basically clipped through the foreskin).

Since it's technically clothing, why not just use two models, a cut and uncut one? 

Extra LOL if when uncut characters switch to a cut religion, there's a sound effect, like the beheading sound in this mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2221339737

1 hour ago, SoCalExile said:

Since it's technically clothing, why not just use two models, a cut and uncut one? 

Extra LOL if when uncut characters switch to a cut religion, there's a sound effect, like the beheading sound in this mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2221339737

Well I wouldn't make the penis clothing just because of animation issues, you would have to weight it just right or it might separate from the body weirdly. It would be easier to make an uncut penis and make the foreskin an accessory. But the issue I was talking about is basically an issue with making foreskin at all and having them still be compatible with blendshapes. I kind of decided it would be easier to do with textures and diffuses, but I haven't been able to do those well.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2021 at 5:04 AM, theodoro said:

OK, wow. Matching it skin color actually wasn't all that hard. See my friends below.

There are definitely still lots of outstanding issues though - it would need some additional modelling work to attach seamlessly to the body, and some better mapping / texturing work to look a little more realistic. Probably some testing too, to ensure it works for all body types.

Also, unsure how easily I can use blend-shapes to stretch it, so unsure whether it can come in different sizes and shapes.

Finally, there are occasionally dark streak marks across the laps of lighter skinned characters, which would affect the penis too, as it uses the skin shader. I think this may be a vanilla bug.

20210616220027_1.jpg20210616221408_1.jpg.0d0dfe5e65be2c80211d41348a3f34a6.jpg

wpw there are huge mprovements, i think that they're almost there and could soon be a real option as opposed to SS. Ofc foreskin and better blending are probably the main things stopping that from happening but I applaud your work