Modding Question; how can I prevent the game from loading pose position when I loaded in sequencer..

HI all,

I have an idea on how to make the game more interactive, and would like the sequencer to disregard the camera position whenever a new pose is loaded...

This way I could "move around" in the room interactively and the pose would have its own course..image.png.3353701207b02ae9bbc73c5f1e7c4b45.png

I managed to track down where the game collects the pose camera position, namely in AcAnim.bs, but

when I remove the part for camera position, the only thing that happens is that in-game camera instead moves and is placed in the bottom center of the pose ( liek 0, 0, 0; ) or somehting..

If any modder here is knowldegeable enough to help me find the right code string to remove I'd be very happy, where is Raistin Kane when we need him

when I remove the part for camera position, the only thing that happens is that in-game camera instead moves and is placed in the bottom center of the pose ( liek 0, 0, 0; ) or somehting..

yep. if you remove the data the camera position defaults to the scene center at 0,0,0.

by hacking the anim01.bs script in this way, you can remove the link between pose and camera location but the game still wants that location data to move the camera.

with no data, the camera has no choice but to use 0,0,0 as the new position or it would end up in a random position that is probably useless

BTW: i admire your courage because anim01.bs is ehh.. complicated. Just make sure you have a backup of the original file becuase it's easy to mess up and that will ruin the game

Hi, 

thanks both of you for the answers,  

It was AcAnim.bs and that is not the same..

(Anim01.bs I dont understand much of.. and respectively do not dare touching.. backed up or not.. ?)

It doesnt return to the scene center, it return to the pose center..( or maybe that is the same?) so for a bed pose it centers somehwere beneath the matress ( her ass) and for a floor pose beneath the floor surface (her feet)

I did that too, tried to add 1 camera in the beginning... but the game reloads the position at 0,0,0, postion for each new pose loaded,  so then I need to either set them up manually just before the pose is loaded as I go forward (which is the way I did it up til now, but becomes cumbersome),

-Or set the cameras on beforehand, but then theres not really any point removing the pose's camer is there?

Since its anyway overridden by a new set camera position..

HAA!!!  SOLVED!!
I did dit.

How it was done; 

1. in AcAmin01.bs remove line 420-435 about the camera positioning and replace it (or better, add in VX-mod)

2. Now in-game, add a camera at position1 (with POV 4th checkbox ticked.)  Game will not remeber this position.. wherever you move the mouse and position, the camera will not return to the set camera postition when clicked but stay with you ( which is what we want)

3. Now go add some poses , and copy the first camera to those poses position. 

4. Voila, it does no longer collect the new pose position. when the pose is loaded. Now I can move around freely and change poses whenever I want w/o the camera to move around when i dont want it to

It is possible that I could get other non-wished side effects, and I have not regression tested anywhere so Im not sure how this will affect other parts of the game though..

image.png

not sure how this will affect other parts of the game though..

that is of course the crux of the biscuit... a quick test confirms that it totally messes up the camera in Quick Mode, Free Mode and most importantly the Customizer where every little change resets the Camera to 0,0,0.

congratulations on achieving your goal but i have to warn other, more casual users against hacking VX-Mod.

Not only is it "dangerous" but most if not all files in VX-Mod will be updated with every new release.

But if you really really really have to, never remove any code but put it between comment markers like this:

/*

AppCharacter . {
        .Name "camera_blend";
        .Pattern "camera_blend";
    };
    AppCharacter . {
        .Name "camera_position";
        .Pattern "camera_position";
    };
    AppCharacter . {
        .Name "camera_target";
        .Pattern "camera_target";
    };
    AppCharacter . {
        .Name "Model01:pose_camera_character";
        .Pattern "Model01:pose_camera_character";
    };

*/

Makes it a whole lot easier to undo any mistakes or rollback to the old way of doing things.

And before you start, always make a backup in a safe location "just in case". Accidents will happen

Ah, thanks alot for the tip!! I will keep that in mind.

One more question for you @Marburg

I have some self-developed script mods in use, like a customised setup of keyboardshortcuts for instance.. but when added to /Addons folder it still does not read it.. doesnt matter if .lua or .bs

I use the scructure like

Custom.LogicX.mods

/Scripts

/Shared

/ ShortcutTable.bs

My assumption was that it reads any format from Addons first and then VX mod/, and if no indentical files are present it reads from the /Archive..

any idea what could be the reason?

Does it prioritise LUA in all cases?

Thanks in advance ?

Very simply put it works like this:

The game uses a virtual drive / file system.
First everything is copied from Archives to the virtual drive.
next everything from VX-Mod is copied to the virtual drive, replacing lots of files from Archives.

then the Addons are copied to the virtual drive.
They can replace files from Archives but they CAN'T replace anything that was copied from VX-Mod.

So you can replace a standard room like the Loft with an Add-on but you can't override anim01.bs or keyboard shortcuts.

A badly coded or indeed a malicious Add-on could totally screw up the game, that's why some things are more or less protected in this way.

So the solution is quite simple: you need to edit the VX-Mod keyboard shortcut file(s) in order to replace the standard key bindings.

You obviously know what you are doing but because this a public conversation I must add that this is NOT recommended for the average user!

Thanks alot, 

Great explanation, and that explains my findings.

This game is very much trial and error, and to learn investigation and trial is needed.. I have have placed several direct copies of the whole game folder in a separate drive,  and always start by doing this, from which I can revert any damages made. I have made several mistakes and suddenly something is broken from a change yo did long ago...I learned this the hard way several times.

I think its genious to have the original game files protected, and should ofcourse not be touched unecessarily, I know this.

But learning is not done by never investigating and trying stuff.

1 hour ago, Logicx said:

I have made several mistakes and suddenly something is broken from a change yo did long ago...

Well, that's programming for ya! If you think THIS is bad, imagine how convoluted things would be right now if we had the SOURCE CODE! :)

But learning is not done by never investigating and trying stuff.

Exactly. That's why i support your efforts ;)

Unfortunately, there's no proper documentation about any of this so self-education and asking questions is the only way to gain knowledge.

I'm still learning about this game of ours every single day. 

suddenly something is broken from a change yo did long ago...I learned this the hard way several times.

Aye... this game is a hodge-podge of many files that are often linked together in quite mysterious ways.

If you tinker with one bit, the whole house of cards may come down.

It takes a while to find your way in the scripts and figure out the overall scheme of things

A background in (object oriented) programming does help a lot