Secret of Evermore

Kamen Rider Kuuga

Let me tell you of my love for this game; even to this day, when asked to name a computer, I name it Evermore, in honor of this amazing little American developed SNES gem. I still have the box and manual, a rare feat for those of us raised in the days of cardboard boxes of the mid to late 80s and 90s gaming. When I considered selling many of my old SNES games (which I never did), even among the other jewels like FF3/6 and EarthBound, Secret of Evermore was never among those who faced a potential sell off, I love it so much.

Secret of Evermore, a game maligned by many for no reason other than myth that it somehow made it impossible for Seiken Densetsu 3 to be released, despite this having no actual grounds to stand on. And I still prefer this to SD3 after playing through it; the game just has the charm, the personality that makes it stand head and shoulders above anything even an admittedly cool game like SD3 has to offer.

That's what Secret of Evermore has in spades; personality and charm. The deeply detailed and thoroughly different regions, the interactions with the townsfolk (one of which is infamous), the multiple currency types, the dog that constantly changes and is not just as a sidekick, but its own character with personality despite being unable to talk, the alchemy system that replaces the stale MP based magic system, the abundant use of ambient sounds to immerse you into the world and, of course, the main character himself, who makes absurd references to made up movies at the best of times, be they apt or not.

It's a game that must be played, above so many others. It deserves all the love that so many other classics of the SNES get, yet it sits in the dark of quasi obscurity, hated for no reason other than hearsay and conjecture. I implore you all to play this game if you haven't already!

Guest ThatOne

It's been about ten years since I played Secret of Evermore and Secret of Mana. I liked the latter more due to the multiplayer function, though.

Both were good games.

I've always had mixed feelings about Secret of Evermore.

On the one hand, it's a decent game. On the other, it's producer used the resources that could've been used for translating Seiken Densetsu 3 to make it, thus ruining my childhood (I'm sure you can see the connection).

Is it a myth? I very much doubt it. The producer was notorious for fabricating translations and doing things his own way much to the chagrin of Squaresoft Japan.

When he was eventually fired, he went on to make Shadow Madness, one of the worst PS1 RPGs ever made.

Edit: Now that said, the game was fun enough, with some interesting ideas and very funny dialogue (well, except anything ever said by the main character dude)

• 2 months later...
Guest flingingfeces

Such a fantastic game!  The music in both it and Mana is probably some of my all time favorite classic Snes stuff.  I still play Mana to this day on my phone when I'm bored or don't have internet XD

Archived