45 minutes ago, landess said:

How do 'bones' move the mesh?

OK... I hope that I do not mess this up, as it is a bit twisted and I am still learning to improve my skills with this, but...

Perhaps think of it as 2 sets of bones. A mesh is assigned a bone that corresponds to the skeleton, or rig, which is what animators manipulate. A rig is very black and white. A joint bends, just as a human skeleton. A mesh has bone weights, which are "influenced" by the skeleton, proportionate to the weight. 

BOOBS! There is 1 rig bone to move a boob. There are something like 4 or 5 bones that influence HOW the mesh actually moves. A boob is not 100% connected to only the boob bone in the rig, but also to spine1, spine2 and clavicles, all to certain amounts ranging from 0.0 to 1.0 (100%). You see this in animations when boobs sway or bounce... they kind of stretch a bit, and that is because the other bone weights ease the vertices movement as it transitions to the next dominant bone. 

Fact is that the mesh nipple area is only around 90% controlled by the rig boob bone, and influence decreases as spine1 influence increases. Dark blue = 0%. Red = 100%. This is my "soft" nipple mesh, not the Cmar mesh, which is a bit different.

1124951949_boob1.PNG.56729c23c9a455166adb74b569170a8e.PNG

Spoiler

boob2.PNG.a7a695bbddf6bb29ea74c3b8a2f7977c.PNG

boob3.PNG.51cd4e5fa3640f066d43a095d7bb3fec.PNG

boob4.PNG.6da4ae49198cd578d31939690a72adad.PNG

boob5.PNG.6c6f9ffdaa94063a5f0550b26ab4088d.PNG

If the percentage of influence is off, the body part doesn't look right, especially during any animations. This is also for loose parts, such as studs or buckles, etc, that may not be physically attached to a main mesh. If those bone weights are off, parts distort greatly during movements and morphs, and can "explode".

99% of all sliders (and animations) move the bones using the weights in the mesh. So, one animation or slider can move basically any properly weighted mesh, making them pretty much universal.

The last pic shows the actual vertices... each point where edges meet. THOSE are what the Cmar nipple sliders move, so the morphing of the nipples is specific to the numeric reference of each individual vertices.

This mesh will never work with Cmar's nipple sliders as it has more vertices and numbered differently than the slider sees. AND... I have not been able to correctly make my own morph sliders for the mesh... YET! )

Anyway, hope that explained more than confused.

1 hour ago, Clydie said:

However, some skins work with the nipple and areola sliders, some not. That was my only point, nothing more.

Yes, the alignment and appearance. Erect nipples that protude from other than where they are painted looks really bad! )))

• 2 months later...

people, sorry for necroposting here, but have you try this to fix GnatGoSplat and CMAR package incompatibility like this: 

Breast Fix for Sliders (Female): EA forget to add bone assignment to the bottom of the breast, bra and bikini mesh, it makes the breast shape look ugly when using breast slider to make it big. This is the fix. There's also default replacement for the nude top mesh inside and will conflict with Cmar's and GECK.O's breast mod. To fix it open the package file using S3PE and delete the afTopNude_LOD1.

from here: https://www.loverslab.com/topic/36994-the-sims-3-complete-adult-guide/

Or I have misunderstood something? 

Sorry, I have no access to my computer and can not check it myself.