Switching skeletons / Tail Troubles

schijnn

I installed a custom race that has a tail, but wanted to get rid of the tail. So, I opened the .esp in the CS, removed the mesh and texture, and saved it. However, when I went to create a character of that race, I found that it still had a tail (though it was black and textureless). So, I went back to the CS, and the mesh had been re-added.

I looked on the CS wiki, and it said that when you select a tail mesh, the beast skeleton is automatically applied. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any information about how to switch the skeleton back, or how to prevent the tail mesh from being automatically reapplied.

I would simply delete the tail mesh file from my hard drive, but the race mod contains several variations, and I would like all the other variants to still have tails.

Can anyone help me figure out how to make this one variant of the race tail-less?

Thanks in advance!

@schijnn

Just a thought, I haven't tested it, but in the CS I think you can choose which skeleton each character uses. Couldn't you tell your NPC to point at a tail-less skeleton.nif? Unfortunately, you'd have to change it for each NPC that you created (if it works).

I believe that the race also has a skeleton-setting.

You'll need to edit both skeletons (race, and IF you have NPC's of that race, theirs too) to point to meshes/characters/_male/skeleton.nif, instead of meshes/characters/_male/skeletonbeast.nif

Oh, and before you commit the changes (e.g. close the edit race/NPC screen), check if they have a tail-mesh set. Otherwise you'll end up in an infinite loop. :P

Archived