CK's Food Column - Today's Recipe - Dhal, aka Lentil Stew

So I'm a foodie. I'm also something of an accomplished cook, so I thought it only natural to share with my favourite community some of my favourite recipes and recent eatings (which I could be bothered to photograph and share). I'll be maintaining this "column" with recipes for stuff I like every now and then, so feel free to try and share!

Today's flavour is a Cuban/Spanish inspired dish with my own twist - Cuban Rice! It really doesn't get simpler than this, all you need is cooked white rice, leftover roast chicken, a bunch of spring onions (scallions), some form of tomato sauce (ketchup will do just fine) an egg and either bananas or if you can get a hold of them, plantains. Basically mix it all up for a quick, inexpensive, and truly heart-warming dish! I add my own twist in the form of the sausages, but they are by no means necessary.

Cuban Rice:

30rpjdc.jpg

Also known as: Arroz a la cubana

Recipe: (Serves 4)

200g cooked rice (see next post for a good recipe for perfect fluffy boiled rice)
1 bunch of spring onions, green and white parts thinly sliced
4 eggs
225g shredded roast chicken, skin and all
4 thin sausages, ie frankfurters, nurembergers, merguez or even chorizo, sliced diagonally (Optional)
2 ripe plantains (or bananas if plantains are not available) sliced diagonally
2 tablespoons of olive oil
A good dollop of your favourite tomato sauce/ketchup/tomato pickle
Salt and pepper to taste

Preparation:

Grill your sausages, or lightly fry them till done. Put two small frying pans on the hob, on a medim heat. Meanwhile, preheat the cooked rice and chicken. Lightly fry the spring onions in olive oil on a medium heat, constantly stirring, until the rings separate and they are nice and tender, roughly 3-4 minutes. One on frying pan, fry your egg to desired state (I like my yolks runny, but do them as you like) and on the other, place the plantains with a little oil. You basically want to sear them, so it should only take 30 seconds to a minute on each side, but not much longer if your hob is hot enough. If using bananas, make sure your slices aren't too thin, or your banana will simply melt in the pan. While these are frying, use scissors or a sharp knife to cut your sausage into small slices and mix with the warmed chicken, rice and spring onions either in a bowl or pan, season with salt and pepper, and keep warm while the egg and banana are frying. When ready, dish out the rice, place the egg on top, crack the yolk if you like it runny, season with salt and pepper, and on either side serve your plantains/bananas and on the other your tomato sauce!

Miscellanea:

If someone is willing to help you, this dish can be done in under half an hour, provided you have the necessary ingredients ready (ie the pre-cooked parts). When I did it, I simply brought a pre-cooked chicken from the local supermarket, which was nice and moist, and made my own rice from scratch, something that takes me roughly 12 minutes from extensive practice. I can't stress this enough, a good, fluffy rice really makes this dish. You know your rice is fluffy if each grain can be separated from the next, ie they are somewhat loose. The texture should also be almost "al dente" that is, with a little bite (but not a lot!) and it should definitely not be bland, having been cooked in either salted water or stock. Seeing as proper rice making is apparently beyond the powers of ordinary British people (and Americans by extension, I assume) and Chinese rice is far too glutinous and sticky, below I give my recipe for a perfect, tasty and fluffy rice!

Apparently cooking tasty, fluffy rice is a feat that only Latinos, Indians and Iranians have mastered to perfection. The Western world is sadly devoid of rice that is cooked both right to texture, and taste. Chinese rice (boiled and fried) is nice, but tends to be clumpy, and if simply boiled, is completely bland, which is the way most rice here in Britain's households tends to taste. Overcooked, bland and just not nice, it is hard to believe such a simple ingredient can be so horribly massacred on a daily basis in kitchens across the nation. The worst, I say, WORST advice you can be given is to use a 1:2 rice to water ratio. Whoever told you that isn't your friend! 

So below follows a recipe for tasty, fluffy rice, which can be eaten on its own, as part of a meal, mixed with something else or what have you, that is tasty in its own right and puts most other recipes to shame. Extremely quick to make, tasty and going with anything, there is really nothing better!

Fluffy White Rice:

wlorwn.jpg

Also known as: Boiled rice, Arroz cozido

200g long-grain white rice (preferably basmati or other Indian variety)

3 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced or grated (yes, you can grate garlic - saves a heck of a lot of time!)

3 tablespoons of vegetable oil

1 stock cube of your preference, ie vegetable, chicken, etc - dissolved in a few tablespoons of boiling water

2 teaspoons of salt

Enough cold water to just cover the rice

Preparation:

With the heat on medium, pour the oil in a pan with a tight fitting lid, and allow the oil to heat up. Meanwhile, add the rice to a sieve, and run under cold water for approximately 2 minutes, until the water runs clear. This step is essential. Add the garlic, and fry lightly until golden, but not browned. Depending on heat, this can take anywhere from 30 seconds to three minutes. Add the rice, and mix allowing the oil to coat the rice. Fry for about thirty seconds, and then add the stock and the cold water. The water should ONLY JUST cover the rice. Add the salt, and mix only once. Bring the temperature down to under medium (a 2-3 on most hobs) and allow to boil for roughly 8-10 minutes. As the water evaporates, add only a few tablespoons more of hot water if the rice is not yet at the desired texture. Check for salt. After about 10 minutes, the rice should be slightly resistant to the bite but soft, and if fluffed with a fork, should spread and not clump together. At this point, the rice is ready.

Miscellanea:

If you're in a hurry, you don't even need to fry the garlic, nor do you need the stock. Salt in itself makes a good substitute, adjust appropriately. In addition, all manner of spices and herbs can be added to the rice, ranging from cumin, onions, coriander, tomato paste, bay leaves and even turmeric (which is extremely helpful and is known to be effective in combating Alzheimer's disease). This rice makes a perfect accompaniment to other dishes, beans, dahl, or even a base to mix with other ingredients. Try mixing it with scrambled eggs, spring onions/scallions and a little soy sauce to make Chinese fried rice, and so forth.

I swear CK is Oliver! XD

Do you mean Jamie Oliver? Hah, that would be funny, imagine what that would do to his career lol.

So while we're on the subject, here's another favourite of mine which is the epitome of simplicity and taste. Quick, cheap, yummy and extremely versatile, this is a standard recipe I have for those days when you're short on time and want something nice and filling to eat!

Spaghetti With Garlic & Olive Oil:

64qkjd.jpg

Also known as: Pasta all aglio e olio, Spaghetti ao alio e olio, Garlicky pasta

200g spaghetti, spaghettini or tagliatelle pasta.

4 tablespoons of olive oil (use garlic infused olive oil if available)

6 cloves of garlic

4 small anchovy fillets (optional)

bunch of fresh parsley, chopped (optional)

grated parmesan cheese (optional)

chilli flakes (optional)

salt and pepper to taste

Preparation:

Boil the pasta in a large pan with either salted water (this usually requires a few tablespoons of salt) or a stock cube (if using anchovies, omit the salt and the stock). Cook according to pack instructions. Meanwhile, finely slice 3 cloves of garlic, and either crush finely or grate the other 3. When the pasta is ready, place in a colander, pour over a little olive oil to coat, mix and cover to maintain warm (I usually use the same lid as the one for the pan). If only using the garlic, lightly fry until golden in the same pan with the remainder of the olive oil, and if using the chilli and the anchovies, add these too and fry them all on a medium heat until the anchovies dissolve into the oil. When ready, place the pasta in batches into the pan together with the parsley (reserving some for the garnish) and mix well, ensuring the oil and its contents evenly mix with the pasta. Serve immediately, and to garnish use the grated parmesan, with sprinkles of ground black pepper and then the remaining parsley. Enjoy!

Miscellanea:

This dish is so incredibly cheap and economic that, at its simplest, it uses only three ingredients (Pasta, Olive oil, and Garlic). It can also be cooked in a hurry, and can be done in under 20 minutes. The optional ingredients are by no means necessary, but they do add depth and variety to the dish. Any combination of oils, herbs and cheese can be used with this, from basil to thyme and even grated lemon rind, which tastes delicious, with any infused oil, be it garlic or lemon or chilli, and if you have garlic oil you can even omit the garlic itself. The advantage of this dish is that, in addition to being incredibly cheap and quick, it is also filling! We have the Italians to thank for that.

Today's recipe goes out to my friend Cozy, who could do with a healing, satisfying and deliciously moreish dish! A particularly effective combination of ingredients known to fight cold and other ailments, chicken broth has been traditionally held as a good regenerative dish, and has recently been accredited with being one of a few ingredients scientifically proven to fight the common cold. Originating in China where it is called "Congee" and brought to Europe by the Portuguese via trading with the former and known as "Canja" or "Canja de galinha" (Chicken broth) the simplest form of this soup/broth is rice boiled in a chicken stock. Here, I present my substantially improved version, which is Brazilian in origin, and packs a much bigger punch in fighting ailments. (Or at least it did with me in my childhood!)  :) 

Chicken, Rice & Mint Broth

24g1rut.jpg

Also known as: Canja, Congee, Canja de galinha

200g rice, raw or pre-cooked

200g chicken meat; pre-cooked and shredded, on the bone (skin and all, thighs and wings are good for this), or cut into small chunks, according to preference (I cannot stress how much better this tastes with chicken on the bone, with skin, so those are preferable)

500ml cold water

1 onion, finely sliced

4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced or grated

2 large potatoes, cut into small chunks

2 carrots, diced into small squares

1 large bunch of fresh mint, about two handfuls

3 spring onion/scallion stalks, thinly sliced

3 tablespoons of olive oil

1 tablespoon of fresh/powdered turmeric (for its antibacterial properties) - (optional)

rind of half a lemon, grated (optional)

salt to taste

Preparation:

In a large pan, add a tablespoon of the olive oil, and heat to a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and 2/3 of the spring onions/scallions, and fry gently till soft (Do not let the garlic burn, that is, before it browns). Add the water, and if using raw rice and chicken, add now. If not, reserve till later. Add the potatoes, carrots, 2/3 of the mint, a tablespoon of the olive oil, and a tablespoon of salt. Keep on a medium heat for about half an hour, adding more water if the broth thickens too much. You will need to oversee very 5-8 minutes, skimming the top of the broth from excess fat/scum, especially if using boned chicken with the skin still on. You will know it is ready when the rice, potato and carrots are soft. Depending on how you like the consistency of your broth/soup, it can either be watery (but should still retain its flavour!) or thicker and more "soupy" in consistency. If bland, add a little salt until the taste is right. After about 30 minutes cooking on a medium heat, if using boned chicken meat, pick these out with a fork, and run under cold water till cool. Peel the meat from the bone (discarding unwanted parts) and shred, returning to the broth when ready. If using pre-cooked rice and chicken meat, add now. Before serving, add the turmeric (which will turn the broth a bright yellow - omit if undesired) and add the remaining mint, olive oil and spring onions. Check for taste, it should taste "chickeny" with all the vibrant flavours of the fresh mint, olive oil and spring onions coming through. Serve into warmed bowls, and if you're an uber health nazi like me, add the lemon zest at this point. Stir, and enjoy!

Miscellanea:

Personally, this dish was always there whenever I was ill. I found the mixture of chicken broth, olive oil, mint and (whenever I could be asked) lemon zest highly invigorating and really refreshing on those terrible days when you have a runny nose, or aching muscles and anything between a minor cold to full blown dengue (a lesser form of malaria). The garlic, chicken stock, mint and turmeric (if using) are all known anti-oxidants and anti-bacterial agents (which help ward off infections and other ailments) and the rice, potato and carrot add the nice and filling starch and carbohydrates required to keep your tummy full for the rest of the day.

• 4 weeks later...

Dhal, in its simplest form, is an Indian version of a lentil stew. It is an extremely versatile and flexible dish, which can be made in minutes and to the utmost simplicity, or take hours and be elaborately prepared and garnished and is traditionally presented at Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi weddings. Here, I present a rather simple version, with an outline as to how you can improve it and make it more prestigious if the occasion demands it. Basically, a Dhal is a stew of lentils and spices, liberally softened with butter (ghee if you’re picky) and oil, and served as a side-dish, traditionally to rice and Indian breads, such as naan, parathas or rotis. Here, it makes a perfect accompaniment to my previous “Fluffy White Rice” recipe. Throw in a pork steak, a grilled T-bone and a salad or some veg and you’ve got yourself a meal in under half an hour depending on type of lentils used.

Dhal, aka Lentil Stew

11c3wie.jpg

Also known as: Dhal, Daal, Lentil stew

200g lentils, either split red lentils, split yellow lentils, or whole lentils, mixed or individual
500ml cold water
2 onions, finely sliced into strips (3 for a garnish)
1 cube of vegetable stock
2 tablespoons of turmeric
1 tablespoon of coriander seeds, freshly crushed or powdered
1 tablespoon of cumin, freshly crushed or powdered

1 tablespoon of mustard seeds (yellow or black, or mix of both)
2 teaspoons of chilli powder
65g butter
salt to taste

Preparation:

There are two ways to prepare Dhal. The first is to add all the ingredients minus the onions and butter into a pan, and gently boil the lentils till they are soft, usually under 20 minutes for split, and over an hour if using whole, gradually replacing lost water and incrementally adding the butter throughout, reserving a tablespoon or two for the end, just before serving. Either let the water evaporate for a thicker consistency, or allow it to remain somewhat for a more liquidy consistency. Fry the onions on a medium heat until golden brown, about 5-7 minutes, and then mix half with the dhal, and use the other half for the garnish, which adds a nice crisp texture.

The second, slightly more complicated, but which imparts a more complex flavour to the dish, is to begin by first frying the onions as described above. Remove from the hot oil, and then gently fry the spices on a light to medium heat for 2-3 minutes. When you feel the aroma of the spices filling the kitchen, and the mustard seeds begin to pop (your eyes will also burn slightly!) add the lentils, half the butter and the stock dissolved in the water, and allow to simmer for 20 minutes. Frying the spices helps them impart their flavour into the dhal, but you must be careful not to burn it, or the burn flavour will come through in the food.

Mix every few minutes, ensuring the lentils do not stick to the bottom of the pan and burn. When adding more water if necessary, add half of the remaining butter, reserving the final half for just before serving. As described above, allow the water to evaporate for a thicker texture and remain for a more soupy consistency. When ready, add the remaining butter, half the fried onions, mix and then serve with the remaining oions as a garnish. Voila! Serve with a nice Indian bread, or besides rice.

Miscellanea:

Any number of spices and other ingredients can be added to this dish. Onions, whole chillis (fresh or dried), garlic, sweet peppers and shallots can all be fried and added during cooking and after as garnish. Spinach, fresh coriander leaves, and a number of other herbs can also be added towards the end for a richer flavour. Turmeric, either fresh or powdered, is a key ingredient, and gives the dhal its distinctive yellow colour, not to mention it is also a significant anti-carcinogen and generally very good for your health – the more of it you eat, the better. As a side dish, Dhal is about as versatile and easy to make as they come, and can be adapted for a number of occasions.