Trying to force player into Idle Animation

I'm working on an expansion to my mod "Fort Blackrock Slaver's Fort" that adds a mini quest and NPC's. I am trying to figure out how to have the player enter an idle after some dialogue. I have the dialogue and quest set up, but can't figure out how to have the player enter into an animation.

Help would be appreciated...

PS

I know how to program, but do not know how to do scripting in the creation kit fully yet...

16 minutes ago, rrr787mlpx said:

I'm working on an expansion to my mod "Fort Blackrock Slaver's Fort" that adds a mini quest and NPC's. I am trying to figure out how to have the player enter an idle after some dialogue. I have the dialogue and quest set up, but can't figure out how to have the player enter into an animation.

Help would be appreciated...

PS

I know how to program, but do not know how to do scripting in the creation kit fully yet...

No reliable way to do it without scripting.  You can have the player character enter some idles in some cases during/slightly after dialogue, but it isn't all that controllable.  You would need to "disable player controls" and the "playidle" via scripting.  Hook them into the dialogue to play "OnEnd".

Make sure that if the player controls are taken away that there are some safeties built in for the myriad ways that Skyrim can accidentally do something really wrong, like playing the idle to clip right through the terrain or something.

8 minutes ago, Seijin8 said:

No reliable way to do it without scripting.  You can have the player character enter some idles in some cases during/slightly after dialogue, but it isn't all that controllable.  You would need to "disable player controls" and the "playidle" via scripting.  Hook them into the dialogue to play "OnEnd".

Make sure that if the player controls are taken away that there are some safeties built in for the myriad ways that Skyrim can accidentally do something really wrong, like playing the idle to clip right through the terrain or something.

So, what would that look like in the script tab on the quest's dialogue tree?

game.getPlayer(),playidle(AnimObject)?

11 minutes ago, rrr787mlpx said:

So, what would that look like in the script tab on the quest's dialogue tree?

Generally, it wouldn't.  That would be attached to the dialogue as a fragment.  You could of course use a single quest script and have the dialogues call it, but you could just as easily give each dialogue its own.  However you want to do it.

(My own preference is to use small fragments in the dialogue to start a function in the quest script.)

Replace "AnimObject" with the exact name of the idle you want to play, but otherwise, yes, that should work.

6 hours ago, Seijin8 said:

Generally, it wouldn't.  That would be attached to the dialogue as a fragment.  You could of course use a single quest script and have the dialogues call it, but you could just as easily give each dialogue its own.  However you want to do it.

(My own preference is to use small fragments in the dialogue to start a function in the quest script.)

Replace "AnimObject" with the exact name of the idle you want to play, but otherwise, yes, that should work.

This is my code as of right now:
GetOwningQuest().SetObjectiveDisplayed(20)
GetOwningQuest().SetStage(20)
game.getPlayer().playIdle(ZazAPC014)

It is not compiling and I am getting an error when I try to compile it.

I have spent way too much time googling answers to still be at this stage...

3 hours ago, rrr787mlpx said:

This is my code as of right now:
GetOwningQuest().SetObjectiveDisplayed(20)
GetOwningQuest().SetStage(20)
game.getPlayer().playIdle(ZazAPC014)

It is not compiling and I am getting an error when I try to compile it.

I have spent way too much time googling answers to still be at this stage...

Would need to see the whole script to know what might be wrong, but to start: did you declare ZazAPC014 as an idle?

On 3/5/2020 at 11:38 PM, Seijin8 said:

Would need to see the whole script to know what might be wrong, but to start: did you declare ZazAPC014 as an idle?

Thanks for continuing to helping me, I really appreciate it!

How do I declare a zaz idle?

BTW, that was the entire code; I have included a snip of my code attached to the end of the dialogue that I want the idle to occur. I did change the last lines several times to try and play the animation, but I can't seem to get it to work (or I'm just dense, lol)

code snip.PNG

You need to declare it as a property.

Once you have compiled (or attempted to compile, since it won't work as-is) that script, you will need to "edit source" and add something like:

Idle property ZazAPC014 auto

... either before or after the fragment sections.

If it compiles then you know it is in the right place.  At that point, you will need to link the property to the script, which is fairly straightforward if you have the script compiled right.

If anything I said went over your head, you should really start with some papyrus tutorials (because everything I mentioned here is very basic papyrus/scripting use).  There are many videos and pages with information on this.

Archived