Rayman Legends' Barbara (Request)

On 2/17/2023 at 1:53 PM, ChronicleKeeper said:

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Saw this thread and thought I’d have a go doing a topless edit of Selena’s sprites. With a higher screen resolution it seems to blend in pretty well with the original art.

Here’s a quick collage of the edit from various screenshots.

image.png.082825b2faaf748e57cb4bb8e593501b.png

Taking the screenshots, my eyes were suddenly drawn to the fact that the animation of going from stand, to jump, to glide, has this sudden boob thrust/boob popout that I thought was an error on my part, but it’s actually present in all of Barbara’s skins. Maybe she just wants to set her puppies free???

One thing I’d like to point out for other people wanting to attempt these kind of edits this is that the game only takes into account the painted areas that exist on the original sprite sheets. So, if your dream is to have Barbara with a rack the size of her head, I don’t think it’s going to happen without some kind of modification to what the game recognises as each section of her body.

This problem is why keen observers may notice a slight decrease in Selena’s bust size from her original one in my edit. It took me a bit of trial and error to get her nipples still within the margins.

As GloopyTyper4 has shown, trying to do the torso sections is pretty tricky. I think if you were to use onion skinning with a screenshot of each frame from Barbara’s various in game poses, you should be able to get a good idea of where her hips and legs match up when drawing them.

Here's my Topless Selena edit if you want to try it out:

image.thumb.png.8e2fd4d7a97658196097aa694ba02918.png

Replace "barbara_pack_mexicandark_001_0.tga.ckd" with my edit using Rayman Control Panel. Look at NotHereForever's post above for instructions.

Hey, well done on the edit, it matches the original sprite fairly well! I tested it in game, and it worked without issue. 

I'm hoping to make some edits of my own eventually, but look forward to any more that you create!

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished a topless version of the nymphs for Rayman Origins and learnt how to use the patcher in the Rayman Control Panel, and so I thought I’d make a quick .gp file for my Selena edit so you can easily activate and de-activate it in RCP! :)

Please mention if there's a problem with the patch!

If anyone is interested in making their own patch, you can check here for instructions:

Just note you’ll need to pick ‘Bundle_PC.ipk’ in part 1. of the instructions rather than ‘GameData\bundle_PC.ipk’. It should be the second choice in the list either way.

Rayman Legends - Selena Topless 1.0.gp

Looks like a lot of progress has been made over here. Nice work to those working on topless mods for this game!

(I'd wonder if we could get mods for the rest of them, but that's a ton of work, even for a bunch of characters that share similar sprite sheet layouts)

On 4/1/2023 at 5:52 PM, EdgarShrodinger said:

I just finished a topless version of the nymphs for Rayman Origins and learnt how to use the patcher in the Rayman Control Panel, and so I thought I’d make a quick .gp file for my Selena edit so you can easily activate and de-activate it in RCP! :)

Please mention if there's a problem with the patch!

If anyone is interested in making their own patch, you can check here for instructions:

Just note you’ll need to pick ‘Bundle_PC.ipk’ in part 1. of the instructions rather than ‘GameData\bundle_PC.ipk’. It should be the second choice in the list either way.

Rayman Legends - Selena Topless 1.0.gp 927.28 kB · 4 downloads

It's been real long, and I forgot how to make use of these patches.

On 4/4/2023 at 5:15 AM, Icantevenname said:

It's been real long, and I forgot how to make use of these patches.

image.png.01baa4c0117cba6cdb9c786fda7545b1.png

Open Rayman Control Panel.

First A:

1. Click the little arrow next to 'Launch' on Rayman Legends (assuming this is the game you want the patch to work on).
  2. Click Patches.

Then B:

1. Click the little (+). An explorer window will open. Locate the .gp file and click 'OK'.
  2. Click the checkbox for the mod that you want to enable or uncheck it to disable it.
  3. Click 'Apply'.

The patcher will take a minute or two to apply the mod.

If it says it's successful, you're good to go!

--------

image.jpeg.6aacd6b85248cff23839ff70266ab406.jpeg

On a side note, I was being driven mad yesterday (illustrated by Pepino here) trying to fix of one of the Rayman Origin patches I made and went through all the possible problems it could be, one after the next for about 3 hours. Turns out there was some issue with the original export of the .png through RCP with two separate sprite sheets of the same character. I re-exported them and after opening them both in Krita, dragging the edited layers to the new file, exporting it and testing it out, it finally worked!

So having learnt a few things, here are a few tips for people making patches or overwriting sprites in Archive Explorer:

• When 'Import'ing over a sprite sheet in file explorer and clicking apply, check the thumbnail after the compiling is done. If there is a thumbnail and the file size when you hover over it is roughly similar to other similar sprite sheets in the same folder, it should function. If there is no thumbnail then you've got a problem on your hands and should replace your corrupted file with a backup.
  • The game will crash when the player character begins to get close to a corrupted sprite sheet (even if they're in the next room off screen). You can use this to slowly eliminate possible culprits. ie: Crash = Sprite sheet corruption, No crash = Sprite sheet is accepted. 

A long story made short, just re-export from Archive Explorer -> Open file in your illustration program -> Do your edit -> Import back into game via Archive Explorer to test it.

Hope this helps out a bit.

Edited by EdgarShrodinger
Typos
22 hours ago, EdgarShrodinger said:

Open Rayman Control Panel.

First A:

1. Click the little arrow next to 'Launch' on Rayman Legends (assuming this is the game you want the patch to work on).
  2. Click Patches.

Then B:

1. Click the little (+). An explorer window will open. Locate the .gp file and click 'OK'.
  2. Click the checkbox for the mod that you want to enable or uncheck it to disable it.
  3. Click 'Apply'.

The patcher will take a minute or two to apply the mod.

If it says it's successful, you're good to go!

Thanks for the instructions! Your mod's great! Hopefully someone comes through with a full nude mod.

Then after that, people could use GIMP to shift the colors of the nude parts and apply them to any other Barbara sprite sheets they wish.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/29/2023 at 7:36 PM, izakamiz said:

In the tutorial at the beginning, the extractor.rar won't let me download it. I don't know if you could send it to me in another way or how you could tell me how to convert a png into a tga.ckd

The tutorial link in the OP is a little out of date now.

You should skip that method and instead try using the Rayman Control Panel to export/import the sprite sheet. It’s a lot less work than the old tutorial.

If you’re wanting to convert your .png sprite sheet file into a .tga.ckd for Rayman Legends/Origins, just follow the guide below.

------------------

Here’s a quick visual guide to:

Importing and Exporting a Sprite Sheet in Rayman Control Panel (with Ursula)

image.thumb.png.15f5ca6870118c23ce0da5fc2661e27d.png

First A.

1. Having already installed and opened Rayman Control Panel, click on Utilities at the top.
  2. Under ‘Archive Explorer’ click the dropdown menu on the left and choose ‘UbiArt Archives (.ipk)’.
  3. Choose ‘Rayman Legends (PC)’. (Assuming that this is the game you wish to import/export your sprite sheet into.)
  4. Click ‘Open’.

Then B.

1. In the explorer window that opens, click ‘Bundle_PC.ipk’. (If you don’t see it, check that your game path is correct. this may vary depending on how you installed the game.)
  2. Click ‘Open’.

Finally C.

1. The Archive Explorer window will open. Navigate to the location of your sprite. In this example, we’re working on Selena’s sprite sheet which is in the same location as her sisters, so the path is the following: Bundle_PC.ipk:/cache/itf_cooked/pc/world/common/playablecharacter/barbara/animation - Click on each folder on the left side of the window till you’re at your destination.
  2. Once you’ve found the sprite sheet you want, right-click on it and then:

For Exporting:

3. Select Export

4. Click on .PNG. (or whichever file type suits your needs best, though it should be something with transparency so don't choose a .JPG or .JPEG)  A window will open for you to choose where to save it.

Done! Go make an edit!

For Importing:

3. Click Import. A window will open for you to choose which file to import. As long as the file type (.dds, .png, etc…) matches one of the export file types, the RCP will create a new .tga.ckd to overwrite the original.

4. Optional: If you wish to create a .gp file (A patch file that you can give to others.) or want a .tga.ckd copy, then after doing step 3, click export and select ‘Original (.TGA.CKD)’ and you’ll receive a .tga.ckd file with your edit you just made. You can follow the steps in the link below to make your game patch.

Also Optional: Either click ‘Cancel’ to undo all the changes you’ve made to the chosen game since you’ve opened the Archive Explorer (good for when you just want to make a quick .tga.ckd), or click ‘Apply’ to apply your changes to the game.

Done! Bask in the glow of your edit!

----------------------------

How to make your own game patch:

On 4/6/2023 at 12:20 AM, Icantevenname said:

Thanks for the instructions! Your mod's great! Hopefully someone comes through with a full nude mod.

Then after that, people could use GIMP to shift the colors of the nude parts and apply them to any other Barbara sprite sheets they wish.

Thanks! You're welcome! ?

Like you, I initially thought that changing the colours would be a good idea too, however when you examine it closer, you run into a bit of a problem.

image.png.be82b7ddec6773058f3ca509b9b8d783.png

At first glance in A. they all look pretty much the same and it's somewhat true.

The sisters left to right are: Barbara, Emma, Ursula, Aurora and Selena. Twin sister variants such as Emma and Ursula obviously have no difference in their torsos.

When you stack them in B. you start to notice the slight differences between them. Selena (and Estelia) are the skinniest of them all and every torso has a slightly different width and curve. Copy-pasting each body section to the other sisters would probably result in pixels being chopped off or needing to fill them in, not to mention there is slightly different shading for each sister.

If you were to do a full nude mod, the hip positions would also be different based upon the size of the skirt area you had to work with.

In C. you can see that Barbara (and Elysia) are the 'odd lasses out' compared to their sisters. Totally different breast position, higher skirt, rounder butt and slightly shorter stockier torso.

They even have a different neck shape which makes me think they were most likely designed first, before any of the other sisters.

Realistically, I think you'd actually save more time and have less of a head/heartache simply starting from scratch on each sister with a new body type. Colour changing would work for twin sister variants as long as you plan accordingly and have everything on different layers for ease of colour transition.

Edited by EdgarShrodinger
I don't like automatic emotes
19 hours ago, EdgarShrodinger said:

Realistically, I think you'd actually save more time and have less of a head/heartache simply starting from scratch on each sister with a new body type. Colour changing would work for twin sister variants as long as you plan accordingly and have everything on different layers for ease of colour transition.

I see. Though I'm still holdin' out for a full nude mod. Do you think it'd still be possible?

On 5/1/2023 at 2:49 AM, EdgarShrodinger said:

The tutorial link in the OP is a little out of date now.

You should skip that method and instead try using the Rayman Control Panel to export/import the sprite sheet. It’s a lot less work than the old tutorial.

If you’re wanting to convert your .png sprite sheet file into a .tga.ckd for Rayman Legends/Origins, just follow the guide below.

------------------

Here’s a quick visual guide to:

Importing and Exporting a Sprite Sheet in Rayman Control Panel (with Ursula)

image.thumb.png.15f5ca6870118c23ce0da5fc2661e27d.png

First A.

1. Having already installed and opened Rayman Control Panel, click on Utilities at the top.
  2. Under ‘Archive Explorer’ click the dropdown menu on the left and choose ‘UbiArt Archives (.ipk)’.
  3. Choose ‘Rayman Legends (PC)’. (Assuming that this is the game you wish to import/export your sprite sheet into.)
  4. Click ‘Open’.

Then B.

1. In the explorer window that opens, click ‘Bundle_PC.ipk’. (If you don’t see it, check that your game path is correct. this may vary depending on how you installed the game.)
  2. Click ‘Open’.

Finally C.

1. The Archive Explorer window will open. Navigate to the location of your sprite. In this example, we’re working on Selena’s sprite sheet which is in the same location as her sisters, so the path is the following: Bundle_PC.ipk:/cache/itf_cooked/pc/world/common/playablecharacter/barbara/animation - Click on each folder on the left side of the window till you’re at your destination.
  2. Once you’ve found the sprite sheet you want, right-click on it and then:

For Exporting:

3. Select Export

4. Click on .PNG. (or whichever file type suits your needs best, though it should be something with transparency so don't choose a .JPG or .JPEG)  A window will open for you to choose where to save it.

Done! Go make an edit!

For Importing:

3. Click Import. A window will open for you to choose which file to import. As long as the file type (.dds, .png, etc…) matches one of the export file types, the RCP will create a new .tga.ckd to overwrite the original.

4. Optional: If you wish to create a .gp file (A patch file that you can give to others.) or want a .tga.ckd copy, then after doing step 3, click export and select ‘Original (.TGA.CKD)’ and you’ll receive a .tga.ckd file with your edit you just made. You can follow the steps in the link below to make your game patch.

Also Optional: Either click ‘Cancel’ to undo all the changes you’ve made to the chosen game since you’ve opened the Archive Explorer (good for when you just want to make a quick .tga.ckd), or click ‘Apply’ to apply your changes to the game.

Done! Bask in the glow of your edit!

----------------------------

How to make your own game patch:

Thanks! You're welcome! ?

Like you, I initially thought that changing the colours would be a good idea too, however when you examine it closer, you run into a bit of a problem.

image.png.be82b7ddec6773058f3ca509b9b8d783.png

At first glance in A. they all look pretty much the same and it's somewhat true.

The sisters left to right are: Barbara, Emma, Ursula, Aurora and Selena. Twin sister variants such as Emma and Ursula obviously have no difference in their torsos.

When you stack them in B. you start to notice the slight differences between them. Selena (and Estelia) are the skinniest of them all and every torso has a slightly different width and curve. Copy-pasting each body section to the other sisters would probably result in pixels being chopped off or needing to fill them in, not to mention there is slightly different shading for each sister.

If you were to do a full nude mod, the hip positions would also be different based upon the size of the skirt area you had to work with.

In C. you can see that Barbara (and Elysia) are the 'odd lasses out' compared to their sisters. Totally different breast position, higher skirt, rounder butt and slightly shorter stockier torso.

They even have a different neck shape which makes me think they were most likely designed first, before any of the other sisters.

Well, I've been doing some and if they really work, I could do it completely (it should be noted that I'm not very good at drawing digitally) although it would only be the drawing part since I don't know how to put it in a mod, I only know change it files.

maybe.png

On 5/2/2023 at 5:14 AM, Icantevenname said:

I see. Though I'm still holdin' out for a full nude mod. Do you think it'd still be possible?

It’s not impossible, just a LOT harder. If Barbara had a single frame to edit for each pose of movement (such as in Skullgirls, like Cerebella below), it would be significantly easier for edits, though quite time consuming depending on the amount of frames.

image.gif.75319f9f444e3d586a9a5673dec485f0.gif

Due to the way that the Legends sprite sheets are made, trying to find the correct leg parts and figure out where they go, not to mention getting the leg positions to work and look right with the characters movements in game, is a challenge.

As a quick example, let’s look at my favourite Rayman Legends character, Selena. The sprite sheet this time is from the end-of-level screen, just before you total up the lums you’ve collected.

From the sample pic, I’ve taken a copy of each part of her body from the sprite sheet to build a rough copy (A.) which you can see in the blow-apart.

image.thumb.png.7bffcb727de8f8f5b8cc26cd10da92a0.png

Like this, it’s pretty easy to make a quick edit (B. for boobs) for a single frame outside of the game engine. (Unlike in my topless patch, I’ve made her breasts a bit bigger, similar to how they normally look since I don’t need to take her nipples into account for this little edit.)

The skirts that Barbara and her sisters wear are designed to hide any need for leg to hip movement and fluid animation. Without them, they'll look a lot like Rayman with floating limbs which I think would look very out of place if you do it haphazardly.

If you took the time and made a screenshot of each and every torso pose in the game, grabbed the legs and torso sprites in your paint program to match exactly over your screenshot and made them line up directly behind the body parts on the sprite sheet, you’d have an easier time making it work. Then you’d have to put them back where you found them on the sprite sheet. To edit one character, it’s 9 to 11 torsos/bodies, plus 36 to 44 legs and arms. The amount varies per character and limbs may or may not need an edit depending on the skin. (Barbara is a good example of all the arms being fine, but all the legs needing an edit.)

Again, it’s not impossible, just a lot harder.

Though I am sorely tempted to do it for Selena now… 

--------

A bit of trivia I’ve learnt from this little experiment:

• Selena’s body is made up of 17 parts. (It’ll vary depending on the sister.)
  • Each eye counts as 1 part.
  • Her right arm is a copy and flip of her left arm for this pose.
  • And I couldn’t figure out which one is her left leg as nothing matches directly on the sprite sheet. I have a sneaking suspicion it’s probably the most bent left leg and it’s been ‘Gilderoy Lockhart-ed’ for her pose. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya9QZXWCIyE&t=40s