Game doesn't start anymore

Everytime I click on SKSE64 the game doesn't start at all. I turned off all mods and it started the game, but it CTD'd in the main menu.

Here's my mod list:

Spoiler

GameMode=SkyrimSE

Skyrim.esm=1
Update.esm=1
Dawnguard.esm=1
HearthFires.esm=1
Dragonborn.esm=1
Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp=1
SexLab.esm=1
SexLabAroused.esm=1
PSQ PlayerSuccubusQuest.esm=1
CreatureFramework.esm=1
Schlongs of Skyrim - Core.esm=1
ApachiiHair.esm=1
FNIS.esp=1
CBBE.esp=1
RaceMenu.esp=1
Schlongs of Skyrim.esp=1
SOS - Smurf Average Addon.esp=0
SOS - VectorPlexus Muscular Addon.esp=0
SOS - VectorPlexus Regular Addon.esp=0
Blush When Aroused.esp=1
RaceMenuMorphsCBBE.esp=1
opmfgconsole.esp=1
DW.esp=1
RaceMenuPlugin.esp=1
SimplyKnock.esp=0
SkyUI_SE.esp=1
UIExtensions.esp=1
SOS - Shop.esp=0
SOSRaceMenu.esp=1
XPMSE.esp=1
SLPleasure.esp=1
MilkModNEW.esp=0
MilkMod_MilkPumpsFancy.esp=0
MilkModNEW HF.esp=0
MilkModNEW Sanbox.esp=0
SL Survival.esp=0
SexLabMatchMaker.esp=1
SGEyebrows.esp=1
AddItemMenuSE.esp=1
ERF - Succubus.esp=1
ERF - Succubus - PSQ Addon.esp=1
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp=1
MoreNastyCritters.esp=1
HornyCreatures.esp=1
Animal_SOS.esp=1
WetFunction.esp=0
[Zynx] Sexy Transparent Swimsuits.esp=0
AIO SE TATTOOS.esp=1
SFO_SkinFeatureOverlays.esp=1
Friendlier Taverns.esp=0
Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul.esp=1
Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp=1
Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp=1
SkinTight Dragon Wear.esp=1
Cathedral Weathers.esp=0
GPPaperMoney.esp=1
AKSkyrimUnderground.esp=0
icepenguinworldmapclassic.esp=1
RichMerchantsSkyrim_x10.esp=1
AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp=1

Before it started about 50% of the time, but now it doesn't anymore at all. Any way to fix this without having to reinstall everything again? If not, what would be the proper installation order of these mods?

Edit(s):

- I just tumbled through the SKSE logs, and they don't give any conclusion about what could be wrong.

RESOLVED: The culprit was a foul DLL from Schlongs of Skyrim FULL. I will revert back to Schlongs lite.

- Apparently I'm kinda ditzy and kept downloading the LE variant, not the SE variant...

I -MAY- be able to help you, but this is only based around LE skyrim, I don't know if it'll help you here in SE....but first, have you deleted a LOT of mods recently? Sometimes skyrim acts up when suddenly a massive amount of things that were in the game aren't anymore.

Two things - let steam check if all files are ok and second is the problem with a savegame or even when you start a new game ? When even a new game does  not work I would recommend - if you decide to make a new install - use the  mod-organizer 2 not the Vortex Modmanager. I got problems without end using Vortex. Modorganizer 2 is more difficult to configure but when it's running you can install mods like you want and disable, enable, change the installorder and loadorder without the problem that you make a mess of your data-directory because MO2 uses a virtual filesystem that only exist at gametime and each mod is in it's own directory. You will find the Tucoguide at Nexus/youtube. It's a relativly actual guide how to install MO2 + MOds and tools with the MO2 for Skyrim SE. You don't need to make every step of the guide. If you don't know what wyrebash, dyndolod etc areand did not use them before ignorte the steps. Installing the MO2, installing FNIS, installing bodyslide and CBBE are the only steps you will need. The rest is learning by doing. If you use other Bethesda games (oblivion, fallout, etc.) the MO2 works with them, too.

If only your savegame crashes try an older version or first try to fix the savegame with a tool like the "Papyrus Data Transfer Gui" - It analyze savegames and gives you most of the time the cause of the crash and ways to solve the problem incl. automatic fixes and a backup of the original savegame. Analyzing ist better if papyrus log in den skyrim.ini files is activated. But a warning - big savegames can take a long time to analyze. the fixed save is only seen in SSE if you klick "show all savesgames"

BTW - If you have to make a new install - if you backup your savegames and install the same mods like before you should just continue your game with the new install. 

1 hour ago, Taven said:

I -MAY- be able to help you, but this is only based around LE skyrim, I don't know if it'll help you here in SE....but first, have you deleted a LOT of mods recently? Sometimes skyrim acts up when suddenly a massive amount of things that were in the game aren't anymore.

I basically wiped out my installation folder yesterday night in order to get a new clean install. That helped, until I started modding again. ?

1 hour ago, seanthiar said:

Two things - let steam check if all files are ok and second is the problem with a savegame or even when you start a new game ? When even a new game does  not work I would recommend - if you decide to make a new install - use the  mod-organizer 2 not the Vortex Modmanager. I got problems without end using Vortex. Modorganizer 2 is more difficult to configure but when it's running you can install mods like you want and disable, enable, change the installorder and loadorder without the problem that you make a mess of your data-directory because MO2 uses a virtual filesystem that only exist at gametime and each mod is in it's own directory. You will find the Tucoguide at Nexus/youtube. It's a relativly actual guide how to install MO2 + MOds and tools with the MO2 for Skyrim SE. You don't need to make every step of the guide. If you don't know what wyrebash, dyndolod etc areand did not use them before ignorte the steps. Installing the MO2, installing FNIS, installing bodyslide and CBBE are the only steps you will need. The rest is learning by doing. If you use other Bethesda games (oblivion, fallout, etc.) the MO2 works with them, too.

If only your savegame crashes try an older version or first try to fix the savegame with a tool like the "Papyrus Data Transfer Gui" - It analyze savegames and gives you most of the time the cause of the crash and ways to solve the problem incl. automatic fixes and a backup of the original savegame. Analyzing ist better if papyrus log in den skyrim.ini files is activated. But a warning - big savegames can take a long time to analyze. the fixed save is only seen in SSE if you klick "show all savesgames"

BTW - If you have to make a new install - if you backup your savegames and install the same mods like before you should just continue your game with the new install. 

I also nuked my savegames, just to be sure. Good call on the file verification, that's something I didn't consider, sometimes my Steam likes to lose files for no apparent reason. I got this game relatively recent and I'm still looking for mod sets I want to play with.

Edit: I downloaded MO2, ran the auto-sort on the mods. I even reinstalled SKSE64. To no avail. When I launch via SKSE, Skyrim just pops up for a few seconds in my task manager and then "bleeds out" on memory (not calling it a memory bleed). When I look at the memory column under details, it starts up at roughly 40K memory, sometimes jumps up to 160K, but usually drops to 40 before terminating.

What OS do you use - Win7, Win8.(1) or Windows 10 ?  One thing you have to consider is that you should NOT install steam in your prrogram folder. Or that you should have at minimum a second steam directory out of the directory. Same for the MO2. My install is on C:\games\steam and a second Lib-Folder on D:\games\steam because not every game should waste the space on C:\  SSD-Drive. In steam you can say in which lib a game should go. Its possible to move between the libs but never tried it. 

The cause for not installing in the program-folders is that Windows has a compulsion to control everything in that folders and in parts of the users folders. It even automatically restores older versions of files or files you deleted.  Only way for windows to  behave is to run programs that needs write and/or change files in their directory is to run them as administrator. Steam installs in standard all games in steam\steamapps \... meaning if you have steam in C:\program files\steam Windows grabs all games installed and tries to  control their behaviour in the directory and only accept the user administrator as responsible enough to not change things it does in these system directories.

That is why I change the paths in MO2 for every game ( Normally evrything goes to your users-directory (...\users\appdata\modorganizer\* ( appdata is a hidden systemdir)) I changed it to d:\games\mo2 as the base dir. For games that needs the SSD for speed I change the mod-path to the C-Drive. The download dir targets a slow data dump on my NAS. After a new install I have all mods back for install immediatly when I change the path. The only access there is for installing the mods and for downloading. When you play the game it does not access to it.

One very annoying thing you should not forget - If you used Bethesda or steam for installing some mods you should deinstall them before installing SSE because they remember your installed mods and install them again without further inquiry. If one of these mods is the cause for your problem ... . I had first installed mods via steam and it took me a time to recognize why mods did pop up in MO2 as "Not managed" that I did not knowingly installed. For me it was game deinstalled, mods gone - but not with steam or the Bethesda site. After installing SSE your directory should look ore or less like in the pic. The only files there that will be added are SKSE, CreationKit (if you use it), enb (if you use it) and the file used for the SSE Engine Fixes. That is the state of the dir you will see if you use the windows explorer. If you want to see how it looks at gametime or if you want to change a file manually and can only find a descrition where to find it in a standard install without MO2 use the fileexploer in MO2. You can copy, change, craete files, start programs etc and the everything you changed in the Data-dir willl pop up in the overwrite dir when you quit the MO2 fileexplorer. Just move the content of overwrite where you want it, you can even create a new "mod" or delete it. 

Start the game, maybe test it a bit, quit the game and check if the folder still looks the same after that to be sure bethesda or steam did not screw you. BTW I found it helpful to use a new dir to be sure Windows does not reuse old registry entrys for the game. Your clean new install should work. Then install MO2 or if its already installed make a new instance for SSE. Change the dirs to be sure it does not goes to users\...\appdata , check if you can start skyrim with the MO (Skyrim SE and Skyrim SE Launcher) After that install the SSE Engine fixes, the unofficial patch, SKSE64, SKY UI 5.2 and Racemenu and start the game this time with the skse launcher. If that works you have a running base system. Next should be the standards like cbbe, Bodyslide and FNIS with the standard animations creatures, spells. After configuring and running fnis and bodyslide you should check again if the game works. At this time I make two separators in the installation order windows. One is  -- Do not change above this line -- and the other is --empty mods--. The don't change separator goes beneath the installed mods excluding the animations (not FNIS itsself) and empty mods does only have three empty mods beneath it - one for the fnis-data, one for fnis-logs and one for bodyslide data. It is no must to have FNIS-Logs there but I find it helpful if there are problems because inMO2 you get no generate window from fnis. If you want to know how much animations etc. you must check the log. I make sure  that everything above dont change is everytime at the top of the install window and everything beneath empty mods is at the bottom. Between that separators goes every other mod I install. This way you don't loose the overview and you are sure changes made by fnis and bodyslide overwrite a playtime other changes that are not wanted. After that install the mods you want. You can enable, disable change the installorder like you want excluding the mods above and beneath the two separators. The loadorder is created with the the help of loot (integrated in MO2 - no need to install loot) when you press the sort button. Don't forget to sort before starting FNIS and don't forget to sort and starting fnis after activating a mod in the installorder window. Disabling a mod in the loadorder or changing the loadorder manually is still avaible. That way its easy to find the a working load and installorder with a new mod without messing your game directory up.

clean-folder.PNG

Like mentioned in the edited top post; it was a dll conflict caused by an unclean install of an incomaptible version of SoS. I didn't check properly which version the complete pack was when I wanted to upgrade from Lite. On top of that, I didn't uninstall the old mod. After a few hours I got the idea of uninstalling the old mod completely, so there were no more files left over installed by SoS and cleanly reinstalled SoSSE complete from a clean slate.

Archived