I still wish they had done more with Maverick Hunter X.

Kamen Rider Kuuga

I'll be the first to admit that MHX is a damn fine game, and for a remake, it's amazing. Really, I could say I would play it over the original if ever given the option, especially Vile mode.

Of course, I also freely admit that Capcom could have done a lot more with MHX to make it feel like more than just a graphical facelift with voice acting tossed in.

Capsules

It was neat that they decided to change what upgrades you got in the stages with capsules... it wasn't so neat that the capsules themselves remained in the same stages, and almost exactly in the same damn places.

Seriously Capcom, why didn't you just change the capsules to the other four stages? When I first played the game and found that the capsule in Chill's stage wasn't where it always was, I got excited at the thought that maybe it would be in another stage. Thoughts of having to rehunt the capsule locations after so many years truly made me want to explore...

... and then it was all crushed when I realized that no, they were all in the same stages, just moved slight in Chill's case and now the upgrades were slightly different.

Sub Tanks

In the same stages as before. Basically none of their locations were moved at all. This is a bad thing.

Heart Tanks

At this point I lost hope, because granted, while there has to be one in every stage... THEY'RE STILL IN THE SAME FUCKING PLACES. I meant really now, why do this Capcom? You're remaking the game, FUCKING CHANGE THINGS UP A LITTLE BIT!

The Buster

It was really cool how, upon getting Zero's Buster, you had a totally different max charge shot animation. It was less cool, however, that it was exactly the same thing as the Capsule Buster.... only with a different animation.

Zero's Buster really should have been wholly different from the Capsule version in use; perhaps, instead of allowing special weapon charging, it simply got another level of charge, or perhaps it was made faster or more powerful to compensate for not being able to use the awesome sled from Shotgun Ice.

Weaknesses

Same as the original... why didn't they change this up as well? Seriously, how amazing would it have been to shoot Flame Mammoth with a Storm Tornado and find that not only is it not his weakness, but it also does almost no damage at all? Or going into Spark Mandrill's room, hit him with Shotgun Ice as he charges, and then learn all too late after he plow right into your tiny blue ass that it doesn't freeze him in place any longer.

Boss Rush

While it was neat how they did change the order of the Mavericks you faced in Sigma's fort, why not go back to the teleport room from every other X game? I mean, even Powered Up decided to ditch the refights in the actual stages for a teleport room.

And the greatest nitpick and fantard rage moment of all...

(why no) ZERO MODE

I had a fucking blast in Vile mode; it felt like what X mode should have been, since so much was changed up. Really, if I'm to ever play MHX again, it would be Vile mode, because I don't have the item locations burned into my memory. But while I love Vile mode, I have to wonder... why no Zero mode?

One could argue that it would be more like X mode, a reskin if you will. My answer to that is X8; no story, just have Zero run through the levels. Hell, to give it its own flavor, don't let him copy abilities at all; make him do a buster only run. Better yet, make it a super hard mode and don't let him get any upgrades.

It would have been simple, given that Zero literally is a boss fight in Vile mode. Almost all of the animations needed are already in the game; why not use them for more than just that one little battle!

Archived