Basic texture editing

Sathe

So basically, I took a texture made by someone else, scaled it up to 2048x2048, added a few things and then plopped it back in the game. The problem however, is now the texture seems to have some lighting issues that are rather hard to describe(making them hard to google). How can I fix this? I realize not much texture modding goes on here so if this is the wrong section feel free to point me in the right direction please.

A few screenshots of the lighting issue...

post-123137-13597882366187_thumb.jpg

post-123137-13597882366972_thumb.jpg

post-123137-13597882367778_thumb.jpg

post-123137-1359788236834_thumb.jpg

Also, there is an annoying neck seam, but as I understand that is not possible to fix.

Again, if there's a better place to ask this question please point me to it. :D

Oh, what settings you used to save as dds format?

Do they 'glow' ? (yea hard to describe)

appearently this looks like because of the black rgb in the normal map.

*Generally* for the skin texture, you can use dxt 1 no alpha np with it

But you must use dxt 5 interpolated alpha for the normal map as the alpha channel in it has various gray area between black and white.

If you save it as dxt1 1bit alpha format with black alpha channel then rgb information may be lost. Only white area will remain

Additionally just scaling them up has not much good effect. No effect on visible resolution change, 2^ times of memory use, if you want 2048 texture then use 2048 from the beginning. or use 4096 to edit and downsize it.

I scaled it up to add bits (pink bits :P) to the texture that didn't look very good at the old resolution, I used gimp with the normal mapping and dds plugin, for the DDS I saved as dxt1 with generate mipmap and for the normalmap I used dxt5 with mipmaps.

I wouldn't say they glow, it more looks like its amplifying the light, the sides that are directly exposed to it are very bright while the sides hidden from the light are extra dark.

In photo 1 you can seen the darkness and in photo 2 the bright (compared to the tail)

EDIT: the exact format I used in gimp was BC1/DTX1 for DDS and BC3/DTX5 for the normal map.

I suppose so' date=' I'm rather embarrassed by my artistic skills (cut, paste, eraser) but take a look if you want.

Did you want the DDS's or the PSD.... I'l post both...

Forum doesn't like those file types.... to Media Fire!

Texture

You have the nvidia dds plugin then you should be able to apply the normal map filter.

Ever opened up any normal map file? They are full of strange blue or rainbow colors with bumps. You cannot do it yourself, allow nvidia plugin to do its job.

Or just leave the origianl normal map alone. The size of the color map and the normal map don't need to be identical, you can use it without any edit

=====

edit: wait a sec don't ninja me

edit2:

here's the quick edit.

open your psd, you need 'genitial' layer

apply the filter to that layer and copy it to the original normal map.

I don't know much about gimp as I use photoshop myself. But it should be simple to use the filter. This seems to be helpful.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Normal_Map_Creation_in_The_GIMP

Oh well anyway thanks for the good file. On reflection I've always needed the hi rez textures for khajiits. Probably I'll use your texture. If you end up with creating a normal map yourself post it too please :D

trying to learn the normalmap, whenever I open a normalmap all I see is this:

post-123137-13597882379266_thumb.jpg

but when I make them I get something similar to this:

post-123137-13597882379341_thumb.jpg

at first I thought all the normalmaps were blank but they have a very subtle amount of blue..

why do existing ones look like an empty document?

Archived