Need help with setting up Papyrus (SSE) and Papyrus Logs

Hi,

I have installed PAPYRUS via MO2 but I cannot enable LOGS...

(a) MO2 installed papyrus.dll into my custom SSE MOD Folder (I use MO2 for FO4)... but I think the placement of the dll is not good... where does it need to go?

(b) I have seached google to set up PAPYRUS logs and have modified skyrim.ini file with MO2 as follows:

[Papyrus]
bEnableLogging=1
bEnableTrace=1
bLoadDebugInformation=1

[EXTRA QUESTION... any recommendations for value of fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS ?... THANKS]

I understand that the LOG files will be generated in ...Documents\My Games\ but not sure if in "\Skyrim Special Edition" or simply "\Skyrim" folder ... if Skyrim folder, do I need to create it?

THANK YOU!

Papyrus is the scripting system of the game engine, not a mod you can install. So where does that dll comes from?

Changing the default settings is a bad idea (other than to enable logs).

To enable logs you just need to add the settings you mention to the skyrim.ini (good call on editing the MO ones and not the default under My Docs/my games...)

[Papyrus] 
bEnableLogging=1 
bEnableTrace=1 
bLoadDebugInformation = 1 

The logs will be under "My Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\Logs\Script" if that folder path doesn't exist it will be created automatically. You may need to start the game and play for a while a couple of times to start generating the logs.

Sternum

Thanks for the fast reply... I downloaded PAPYRUS UTIL from NEXUS (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/13048?tab=description) which contains the ddl in a loadable (MO2) form... but as I said, MO2 installs papyrus dll into Skyrim Mod Folder and not elsewhere <-- I think this may be the problem but am unsure (new player) as to where to install the dll (SteamLibrary\Steamapps\Common\SSE\Data\SKSE... ???)

PapyrusUtil is an extension, not needed unless a mod you want to use require it. You don't need to install it to have logs, as I said Papyrus is a part of the game itself.

But you can totally install it through MO2, its a simple dll and some script files. You can add it as any other mod and it would have this structure

...\Mod Organizer 2\mods\PapyrusUtil\(mod files)

the part after \mods\ is just the name you give the mod when you add it. The mod files would be the Scripts and SKSE folder + the source stuff if you want to add it too (not needed).

6 hours ago, Sternum said:

PapyrusUtil is an extention, not needed unless a mod you want to use require it. You don't need to install it to have logs, as I said Papyrus is a part of the game itself.

But you can totally install it through MO2, its a simple dll and some script files. You can add it as any other mod and it would have this structure

the part after \mods\ is just the name you give the mod when you add it. The mod files would be the Scripts and SKSE folder + the source stuff if you want to add it too (not needed).

My setup was/is exactly as you have described but I do not get the PAPYRUS LOGs enabled (so no LOG Folder). I want to examine the LOGs in order to determine why each time I am arrested I get CTD. Thanks.

1. check that your skyrim.ini contains only one [Papyrus] section, sometimes it comes with the header + "bEnableLogging=0" and if that's the case, you won't generate logs even if you have another section with "bEnableLogging=1".

2. perhaps you'll need to change folder/file ownership to allow the creation of those logs. I've never had to do something like that (disabling Windows UAC and keeping my games and tools out of Program Files is enough) but here is how you could do it.

And out of pure curiosity, why do you want to enable it? Most of the times that log won't tell you anything useful and keeping that setting enable is not recommended for normal gameplay.

Hey, thanks again Sternum for the fast reply!

1. I checked for second PAPYRUS section in skyrim.ini (only one) but then checked both skyrimprefs.ini and skyrimcustom.ini too. My SKYRIMCUSTOM.INI has PAPYRUS section with the 3 variables set at zero, so I set them all to 1. Maybe I added this section by mistake a couple of weeks ago? I also edited the \Documents\My Games\SSE\skyrim.ini file as well so that the 3 Papyrus settings are again set to 1 (not sure if this was required... I'm guessing not).

2. Noted for Ownership properties but I am also guessing that the problem may be above (1).

Why enable it [papyrus logs]? My load does suffer from some CTDs (SD+ Spriggan encounters, Guard Arrests [though I think I have solved this one], Jail scenes...) and often when googling for solutions I see people offering advice/help and requesting logs. So I thought it would be useful. I take it you disagree. Now I am utterly confused :)

Big thanks anyway!

9 hours ago, FO4Life said:

My SKYRIMCUSTOM.INI has PAPYRUS section with the 3 variables set at zero, so I set them all to 1.

I forgot about skyrimcustom.ini was a thing. Yes, the settings there will overwrite whatever settings you have on the skyrim.ini so go ahead and change these to 1 until you don't need the logs anymore.

9 hours ago, FO4Life said:

My load does suffer from some CTDs (SD+ Spriggan encounters, Guard Arrests [though I think I have solved this one], Jail scenes...) and often when googling for solutions I see people offering advice/help and requesting logs. So I thought it would be useful. I take it you disagree. Now I am utterly confused

Papyrus logs will contain information relative to scripts and scripts alone. There are many many more things that can cause CTDs other than scripts. Even a bethesda dev had to include this line in the FO4 logs to clarify the use of papyrus logs

This is a script log only and does not contain information on any other part of the game, including crashes.

Source

If you keep getting CTD with a particular mod your best bet is to post on that mod's support thread, there may be known bugs or issues. If its more than one mod, then check if there is any factor in common (a particular animation, location, type of actor, and so on) to try to pinpoint the issue. For Skyrim SE there was this tool to get more info about crashes, but it hasn't been updated in a while, so it won't work if you're using one of the latest versions of the game/skse.

Archived