HELP! CTD before character creation!

Luna_Natsume

So sadly enough, I have had this bug since I first began modding my skyrim. Sometimes more prevailent than other times... but consistantly now.

Little info:

I have a HP Pavilion H8-1214

AMD FX 6-core

10 GB ram

Geforce 650

windows 7 home premium

I always seem to crash right after I hop off the wagon behind ralof and ulfric. If I try to access the menu to manually save, insta crash.

Thing is, I have a game with a character at lvl 53 and have ZERO crashing problems. I have a ton of mods, Unbleak ENB (Which I turn off for character creation) and realistic lighting... but I tend to switch those off for creation reasons. I also never crash at Showracemenu with my current character, but I want a fresh one... I don't want to keep using the SAME character over and over!

Any ideas or potential fixes?

Well... I grabbed boss as you suggested, installed it, used it, and now even my main game crashes.

Before I could at least play on my main game, but now I can't do that... oh, and right before it crashes, I happen to notice that my female character, now has a man's body mesh, with her female head.

I have no idea how to fiddle with papyrus, so a little help would be grand.

Any ideas?

to be honest yes i do have the same thing...but there is always a workaround..

-Deactivate all mods...just leave only with skyrim.esm (for DLC's, addons, is your choice).

-Play the game, on identity creation just leave it with vanilla presets. then until you escaped alduin and after entering the helgen keep, whether you following hadvar/ralof go create new save, for me i created new save right before going out the last cave.

-Exit the game, and simply copy the save that you just made (in your my document/skyrim). so you can use it later sometime if you want fresh start again.

-Go enabling all your mods again and start the game, you can always go into "showracemenu" with console, to fix your character right up and finally start the journey.

that is my workaround...

Also, it's been stated in several threads that multiple hair mods can be a major culprit in showracemenu crashes. Like anubis said, disable mods until necessary. However, if it's the hair mod issue, you may still crash again. My understanding is if you do the showracemenu in an enclosed space with little background clutter, it can work even with multiple hair mods. Or reduce the number of hair mods...

And like AoT said, please include a load order with technical support questions. It can speed up the resolution of most problems.

Guest Lady Luck

Solution to CTD

Generic problem " GPU and resolution"

use CFF explorer " edit File header " , App can handle 2gb Address Set

What this does?

is to convert The application to 64 bit if you have 64 bit platform this will fix any minor bug in game not only fix it , it will boost at least 5% performance by default the rest is gpu.

update your gpu

to my knowledge on fixing skyrim CTD, always always check your gpu is up to date or not some gpu graphic card have downgrade issues, if your update is higher then usual and cause CTD then you may Downgrade earlier version. " this is common on AMD drives"

set your resolution to 800x600 aka "360p" Resolution

ah don't bullshit me oh its 2012 we need 1k resolution are u dumb 360p is 2012 , anyway by lowering Resolution you have slight 20% suffering from CTD symptoms usually some areas that AMD drives didn't like will likely to crash Unless you patch and update the game.

Disable Anti Alaising , Shadow , MSAA , HDR and gloom to avoid CTD

why skyrim is heavily ported on ps3 version so if you have either AMD original graphic card or any kind of card that wasn't ati highly likely you gonna have CTD trust me i have ati Radeon HD 5450 1gb DDR 3 and i still can play it but require patching on latest version to make the game compatible otherwise good luck if you keep complaining that you want to run HDR but still got CTD get a better rig , AMD cores are meant for casual game setting , it doesn't matter if you got 8-10 cores game like skyrim require alot of attention Tweaking etc reducing mods , use boss to auto sort your mods thats also reduce tweaking.

Keep this in mind if you use generic graphic card that wasn't made by ati or nvidia you gonna have this problem usually integrated graphic card has less memory then actual graphic card.

if above else didn't work

try to buy at least 512mb graphic card and if that work hurrah!

but if the 512mb didnt work i suggest you get 1gb graphic card usually ctd symptom leads to "GPU memory and resolution".

--------

Generic problem " MOD issue"

usually when you downloaded like mods for hair or any character creation mods some of them will conflict on other mod no matter how lite or heavy build.

what i do , i use BOSS auto sorting all my mod order that way i can quickly fix my mod order without any headaches , usually auto boss will get rid of Minor/major CTD crash that leads with high poly models if you use character creation mods.

i hope my quick and lazy tips will help your problem this tips were given to me on other forums before and some of them work some of them aren't. you need to do some work to fix this out other wise if it still occur, then you had to figure out what mod that cause this , usually its very rare that CTD happens on mod the most common mod that will conflict the game ... invisible models , weapon not showing up etc...

Got similiar problem. Reinstalled skyrim and trying to create new character, game just freeze if I choose custom race no matter what. I fixed this problem before but dont remember how.

My order list:

00 skyrim.esm

• 01 Update.esm

• 02 Dawnguard.esm

• 03 ApachiiHair.esm

• 04 moonpath.esm

• 05 RaceCompatibility.esm

• 06 MiniLoversSound.esm

• 07 MiniLovers Idles.esm

• 08 Lovergirl Race.esp

• 09 TemptressVixen.esp

• 0A ArchmageRing75.esp

• 0B archmageSpellcrafting.esp

• 0C ArchmageRing00.esp

• 0D ArchmageRing25.esp

• 0E ArchmageRing50.esp

• 0F moonpath_questdata.esp

• 10 ethereal_elven_overhaul.esp

• 11 2pacarmorclothes.esp

• 12 MiniLovers.esp

• 13 MiniLoversSoundSpell.esp

• 14 SexAddict.esp

• 15 Bashed Patch, 0.esp

• 16 FantasyEyes.esp

• 17 HighResTexturePack01.esp

• 18 HighResTexturePack02.esp

• 19 HighResTexturePackFix.esp

• 1A _eyes_Masker.esp

• 1B Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp [версия 1.2.6]

• 1C PLAYER WO.esp

I just had something really odd happen...

I started a new game, did the prisoner ride in the horse cart... but the entire way there, a soldier on a horse kept bumping into the cart, like he was trying to run it off the road! In actuallity he did at one point, right when Ralof mentions general tullius and the thalmor, my cart suddenly flipped upside down for just a second or two then straigtened out. When it gets to the part that Ralof says, "Why do you think? End of the line..." and everybody is about to stand up and get out of the cart, thats when I crash.

Turned on Papyrus... don't know where the hell it keeps it's logs though.

Guest Lady Luck

I started a new game' date=' did the prisoner ride in the horse cart... but the entire way there, a soldier on a horse kept bumping into the cart, like he was trying to run it off the road! In actuallity he did at one point, right when Ralof mentions general tullius and the thalmor, my cart suddenly flipped upside down for just a second or two then straigtened out. When it gets to the part that Ralof says, "Why do you think? End of the line..." and everybody is about to stand up and get out of the cart, thats when I crash.

[/quote']

treager you might wanting to post your load order , usually we all use BOSS to clear out this problem if it still CTD then it could be either hair mods or you installed ENB mods that cause that .

Here's a tip

disable all mod , enable each one and detect a mod that is conflicting with other ones that's how i usually fix my game.

I started a new game' date=' did the prisoner ride in the horse cart... but the entire way there, a soldier on a horse kept bumping into the cart, like he was trying to run it off the road! In actuallity he did at one point, right when Ralof mentions general tullius and the thalmor, my cart suddenly flipped upside down for just a second or two then straigtened out. When it gets to the part that Ralof says, "Why do you think? End of the line..." and everybody is about to stand up and get out of the cart, thats when I crash.

[/quote']

that will make Papyrus keep a log file of what its doing in

C:\Users\Treager\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Logs\Script

Archived