The math thread!

Strelky

"Math and science are the work of the devil."

http://politicsandgovernment.blog.my/2012/11/math-and-science-are-the-work-of-the-devil-is-it-any-wonder-that-antichrist-0bama-champions-math-and-science-2/

"I wonder if the school teaches that non-Euclidean geometry is the work of the devil or at least of non-Christians."

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/WhosCounting/story?id=3543453&page=1

6cb5f72c1fd209c77f7d4c2786ad772df1.png

"In mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them."

John von Neumann

"A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there."

Charles Darwin

:P:P:P

"Math and science are the work of the devil."

http://politicsandgovernment.blog.my/2012/11/math-and-science-are-the-work-of-the-devil-is-it-any-wonder-that-antichrist-0bama-champions-math-and-science-2/

"I wonder if the school teaches that non-Euclidean geometry is the work of the devil or at least of non-Christians."

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/WhosCounting/story?id=3543453&page=1

6cb5f72c1fd209c77f7d4c2786ad772df1.png

"In mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them."

John von Neumann

"A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there."

Charles Darwin

:P:P:P

Boy' date=' those sites were entertaining. Fortunately universe CANNOT be calculated (in deterministic way). Bohr was right, Einstain made a fool out of himself by his stubborn arrogance. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

[video=youtube']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zb_bKbs7Js

Did you come to solve equations? Or did you come to try and discredit mathematics?

On topic: I cant solve that' date=' so I'll name it as a path integral.

Right triangle with legs 14 and 54, find C

[/quote']

c=3112^1/2 ~55,7853

I discredit cult of personality, by the way I had problem with that integer too; Should I be able to find antiderivative to this? Anyway, poster didn't mention how accurate solution has to be so answer is roughly (with 4 measurement blocks) is ~0.36409

new one;

(x + 4)^2 = -16

hint - use your imagination or wiki... teachers have been lying to you.

Did you come to solve equations? Or did you come to try and discredit mathematics?

On topic: I cant solve that' date=' so I'll name it as a path integral.

Right triangle with legs 14 and 54, find C

[/quote']

c=3112^1/2 ~55,7853

I discredit cult of personality, by the way I had problem with that integer too; Should I be able to find antiderivative to this? Anyway, poster didn't mention how accurate solution has to be so answer is roughly (with 4 measurement blocks) is ~0.36409

new one;

(x + 4)^2 = -16

hint - use your imagination or wiki... teachers have been lying to you.

Isn't Imaginary numbers high school stuff?

(x+4) = +- sqrt(-16)

x+4 = +- 4i

x = +- 4i -4

x1 = -4 -4i

x2 = -4 + 4i

How about some discrete mathematics?

How many different kinds of full houses can one get in poker?

156 full house combinations.

Two trains are moving on the same track toward each other. One goes 80 meters per minute and the other 120 meters per minute. After 12 hours, they are 1700 meters apart. How far apart will they be one minute before they collide?

156 full house combinations.

Two trains are moving on the same track toward each other. One goes 80 meters per minute and the other 120 meters per minute. After 12 hours' date=' they are 1700 meters apart. How far apart will they be one minute before they collide?

[/quote']

Ah, nice diversions.

From the point of view of one of the train does the other train travel at 200 m/min. If they collide after x min, then after (x-1) min should the trains be 200 m/s * 1 min = 200 m.

What country You're from? I've been going to math/physics profile in h. school and heard about them in some sience mag. first time...

Sweden. Imaginary numbers, solid of revolution and differential equations are the highest level of 'ordinary' mathematics taught in high school. One can also read about discrete mathematics, vectors and matrices with additional courses.

What country You're from? I've been going to math/physics profile in h. school and heard about them in some sience mag. first time...

Sweden. Imaginary numbers' date=' solid of revolution and differential equations are the highest level of 'ordinary' mathematics taught in high school. One can also read about discrete mathematics, vectors and matrices with additional courses.

[/quote']

No suprise then. I would be suprised I you were from USA...:rolleyes:

Don't worry, when States will officially take over the world, the education system in your country will drop sharply...

On the side note; do you belive in purely mathematical/objective reality; "randomness" is truly random?

Sweden. Imaginary numbers' date=' solid of revolution and differential equations are the highest level of 'ordinary' mathematics taught in high school. One can also read about discrete mathematics, vectors and matrices with additional courses.

[/quote']

No suprise then. I would be suprised I you were from USA...:rolleyes:

Don't worry, when States will officially take over the world, the education system in your country will drop sharply...

On the side note; do you belive in purely mathematical/objective reality; "randomness" is truly random?

It's already happening with the privatization of schools and lazyfication of school kids.

What do mean by objective / mathematical reality? - That everything can be broken down into mathematics and follow fixed rules?

Most of the world follow very strict mathematical rules so I can't see why phenomenon we call 'random'; nuclear stuff, thermal noise, etc can't be governed by some other laws which we have yet to discover. I do however know to little about modern physics to say anything about it.

On the other hand, mathematics builds on axioms so there is no guaranty that the laws governing the universe can be written down using 'our' mathematics.

Most of the world follow very strict mathematical rules so I can't see why phenomenon we call 'random'; nuclear stuff' date=' thermal noise, etc can't be governed by some other laws which we have yet to discover. I do however know to little about modern physics to say anything about it.[/quote']

Well, first of, pure randomness contradicts causality (there must be a cause of particular draw). For example our logical computers cannot produce randomness. It's either pseudo-randomnes (like time algorithms) or external "randomness" (like radiation waves). Logic can produce only logic (you cannot derive false from truth); if we experience incoherence (We can produce incoherence) then implication of this is that we do not live in objective causality realm.

The only way to preserve objectivity inside randomness would be to draw all result simultaneously inside one realm. Many worlds theory is based -sort of- on this premise to explain quantum mechanics, but M theory suggest that each draw creates separate universe; so the objectivity is broken anyway; what's the cause that I'm inside this universe, not the other if the odds are identical, more what's the purpose of my "choice" of being here if my parallel "me" will experience all possible scenarios (draws) anyway?

Objective causality realm would have to be perfectly coherent alghoritm; perfect coherence cannot contain any data (except the alghoritm itself), as you have no means of writing any data without breaking the perfect coherence of the structure. In my perspective we live in subjective causality universe; framework that regulates subjectivity of consciousness is objective, but based on possibilities (probability distribution) which allows free will aspect to operate within tree of those possible results. What do you think?

On the other hand' date=' mathematics builds on axioms so there is no guaranty that the laws governing the universe can be written down using 'our' mathematics.

[/quote']

Many axioms are just assumptions that some scientists take for granted; the complex numbers were discovered in 16 century, but in that time even negative numbers were dubunked by "sceptics", not to mention -1^1/2...

Archived