How to ruin a buisness in America.

Kashiwaba Tomoe

Fire an employee for stopping an armed robbery.

Needless to say, boycott's are already starting.

Long story short, guy that's wanted for 30+ armed robberies robs an auto parts store with two employees working inside.

While the manager was on his hands and knees, the other employee sneaks out, grabs his gun from his car, and chases the thief away.

AutoZone has since then fired the guy, because he re-entered the store and broke their zero tolerance policy on weapons.

Obviously this only really matters us in the US where the store chain is located, but I'm sure everyone can appreciate how stupid this is.

A terrible marketing move, while they could have let this story run its natural course or even exploited it to improve their public image instead. Very shortsighted of them.

Out of personal curiosity, would he have been legally authorised to shoot the robber in that situation?

Playing the devil's advocate here...

The company is only taking heat because everything turned out okay. If the robber had instead, say, started spraying bullets randomly and someone died, this would be a different story.

In most retail jobs - even in banks - it's drilled into you to never, ever, ever confront a shoplifter/robber/deranged individual, because it could easily escalate a situation into something far more dangerous. If a criminal with a weapon feels cornered, or violent, a theft could become a hostage situation, or a shootout.

Firing the employee is a little too extreme - they probably should have congratulated him for being a hero, and told him never to do it again.

Out of personal curiosity' date=' would he have been legally authorised to shoot the robber in that situation?

[/quote']

Well for that I'll just read the article.

“One of the officers asked why I didn’t shoot the robber' date='” McLean said.[/quote']

Sounds to me like even the cops wanted him to shoot the guy, I certainly would have myself.

Archived