Just trying to edit a preexisting script

Complete newb here. Not trying to make a mod from scratch or anything fancy. Just trying to start with an existing mod, load it up in whatever, make some tiny changes to the script, save the results, and have the changes actually be implemented.

Far as I can tell, I got everything but the last part working.

With FOMM's built-in TESSnip, I can at least LOOK at the scripts and use that info as a guide. I've tried messing with GECK. It seems needlessly confusing. I did finally, with the use of GECK Powerup fork 1.4, get it to a point where it was willing to save edits, but it seemed to want to save the edits as a new file. I chalked this up to its famous inability to edit .esm files. Whatever. FNVEdit didn't give me any grief. It didn't produce the script in its nicely-organized format (it was all in one line), but I was still able to make changes and save those changes.

Problem is it seems my changes are ignored, and I have to figure this may have something to do with the "compiled script" line above the raw script line. I suspect that FNVEdit is not applying the changes to the parts of the .esm that actually get accessed in the mod itself - like the raw script is there for no particular reason, and edits to it make no difference at all. And there is where my capacity for figuring this out by myself ends.

What editor might I use to, quite simply, load a specific script in a specific mod, make a tiny edit or two, save the results, and have it count?

The raw script is only there so when you load it in the GECK you have something to edit. The compiled script is what the game actually uses' date=' and to edit that you need the GECK.

[/quote']Alright. So I guess what I probably need instead is a quick step-by-step for getting my tiny edits done in GECK. What I've been doing so far goes like this:

1) Load Master/Plugin files.

2) Uncheck everything.

3) Check the lone .esm that I want to edit.

4) Set said .esm as Active, and click OK.

5) Click "All" in the object window because it loaded up a bunch of things unrelated to the target .esm.

6) Under Editor ID, Double-click the script I want to edit.

7) Make edits, save, and close the script.

8) Pick "File -> Save".

Here is where I run into a problem. GECK doesn't automatically save to the .esm file I opened. As a matter of fact, it only seems to want to save as an .esp file, which it wants me to name. I don't know enough about this process to know what I'm supposed to do to get GECK to save to the .esm I loaded up.

Two options:

1. Get the latest version of the GECK-PU' date=' which allows editing and saving of master files.

2. Save to the .esp file like it wants you to do. Then you can either just load the .esp or you can use FNVEdit to merge the changes.

[/quote']

Alright, I tried option #1. I assume 1.4.0.518 is the latest. I used the so-called fork version which I read is the one that is up to date. It does not have the option to save as .esm. Is there a particular place I should be looking for the version of GECK-PU which does enable this? A link?

As for option #2, would loading the .esp conflict with the existing activated .esm? Should I deactivate the non-modified .esm? Does it make any difference that the mod would no longer be a "master file"? Other mods rely upon it, so I have to worry about whether this is something that matters. ;p

I will look into using FNVEdit to merge changes. It doesn't sound like a straightforward procedure.

Two options:

1. Get the latest version of the GECK-PU' date=' which allows editing and saving of master files.

2. Save to the .esp file like it wants you to do. Then you can either just load the .esp or you can use FNVEdit to merge the changes.

[/quote']

Heh. Well, option #2 (saving as .esp and loading that in) worked like a charm. Pretty great. Thanks for the help!

I assume 1.4.0.518 is the latest. I used the so-called fork version which I read is the one that is up to date. It does not have the option to save as .esm. Is there a particular place I should be looking for the version of GECK-PU which does enable this? A link?

The latest version is 0.1.7.3. The first version to allow saving to an .esm was 0.1.7.2b2. It can be found on the Nexus.

As for option #2' date=' would loading the .esp conflict with the existing activated .esm?

[/quote']

Yes, it will conflict. That's the point.

I will look into using FNVEdit to merge changes. It doesn't sound like a straightforward procedure.

It is literally just a click-and-drag.

Archived