Custom Race NPC *Fixed* + tutorial

Faewyn

Hello everyone

I am having some trouble making a NPC use a custom race in Fallout New Vegas using GECK every time I change the race of an NPC to a custom modded race I get a CTD.

So what I want to do is change a companion (I've been trying to change Cass) to the Silverfox Race by sharky51 race.

What I do is I load FalloutNV.esm, Mikotobeauty.esm, Mikotobeauty.esp (Mikotobeauty is a required file for Silverfox) and Foxraces.esp in GECK I don't set any active file and then I find Cassity NPC and edit her race to the Fox race. Save the file name it test.esp the load test.esp after foxraces.esp which loads after Mikotobeauty.esm and Mikotobeauty.esp.

When I load any save game I get a instant CTD at the loading screen. Deactivate test.esp and the game works perfectly fine again. So I don't know what I am doing wrong if someone could please explain how to make a NPC use a custom race without crashing the game that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help given :)

Here is my load order:

FalloutNV.esm

Mikotobeauty.esm

Mikotobeauty.esp

Foxraces.esp

test.esp

>two hair mods<.esp

Type3mclothing.esp

Vurt'sWFO.esp

I have now fixed and changed a companions race

There is a tutorial below

Your problem is probably that Foxraces.esp is an esp. The GECK removes references to .esp files when it saves. Use FNVEdit or WBash to flag Foxraces as an .esm before using the GECK, or simply use FNVEdit to make the changes as it will properly save .esp references.

Ok well I have successfully converted the Foxrace.esp to a .esm, well I sort of have.

My save now CTD's when I load it but when I create a new Fox character it works fine. I don't really care though because I had only played a few hours on that corrupt character.

It works! :D

Cass is now using the Fox race!

I thought I would also quickly go over how I converted a companion to the custom race. Just note I'm not an expert at all this is only how I managed to change companions successfully.

Make sure you back up your saves and data folder!

I used FNVEdit and GECK.

1. Load up FNVEdit and load the "custom race".esp

2. Once FNVEdit has loaded the .esp click the + sign next to "custom race".esp in the left hand column.

3. Then click header underneath "custom race".esp and right click the right hand side column next to "Recorded Flags" click edit (it will give you a warning but that is fine press OK) then put a tick next to ESM and press OK. "custom race".esp and header will change to a bold font.

4. Exit FNVEdit and save changes. Now we need to change the "custom race".esp to a .esm file extension. Go to the Fallout New Vegas data folder and rename custom race.esp to custom race.esm now it is important that you display file extensions in Windows. If you haven't done this click the spoiler button.

Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.

Click the View tab, and then, under Advanced settings, do one of the following:

To display file extensions, clear the Hide extensions for known file types check box, and then click OK.

5. Before we can load up GECK we need to make a small change to GECK's ini file. Because we are now loading more than one .esm file GECK will crash if the change to the ini file is not made. Firstly navigate to C:\Users\Name\Documents\My Games\FalloutNV and then open GECKCustom.ini once that has opened in Notepad hit ctrl+F and type bAllowMultipleMasterLoads=, once you have found this line by default it will be bAllowMultipleMasterLoads=0 change the 0 to 1 and you will be good to go, this will prevent you from crashing not save the change and exit.

6. Now that you have converted "custom race".esp to an .esm load up GECK. When you open GECK load FalloutNV.esm, "custom race".esm and any other .esp or .esm that the race needs like hair mods etc. You don't need to set any active file, let GECK load.

7. Once GECK has loaded click Actors then in Filter type Cass (I am going to be using Cass for this but any companion should work). The editor ID RoseofSharonCassidy should appear double click on it. A new window called NPC should pop up. In the Traits tab click the drop down box called Race and select the new race you want.

8. You can also change the way the NPC looks by clicking the arrow tabs and selecting face and change out his/her inventory now.

9. Save your changes in GECK and name your new .esp to whatever you like for example MyCass.esp (you don't need to include the .esp at the end).

10. Once you have made your changes and save them in GECK load up Nexus Mod Manager or Fallout Mod Manager or anything that can change load order. Make sure you load your .esm before the .esp and then Launch New Vegas and hope for the best!

Hopefully that will help people. If I have done anything wrong let me know, I am not an expert at GECK/modding. This is just the way I did things to change Cass to the custom race.

:) Enjoy.

Archived