Character Creation

Kadmeian

Do you want a tip to create you're own unique player character with her own charm point or a tip to basically duplicate the same faces?

Since April I have been showracemenu'ing Skyrim like it was the main quest of the game. Lots of trial and error, dislike or GODDAMMIT SO CLOSE moments however when I see you Dovahkiins question the mods used for the character in the SS I realize that you are making a mistake. And just an additional info, if you see SSs like the one posted above this post it probably would look weird from the side perspective or in outdoors. Trust me, I know this by experience.

Tip Nuamber 1:

Don't ask

no jkjk, the real tip number 1 is to:

- Have the character menu sliders moved to something decent.

Normally you can achieve this by setting a random preset. However in most cases it DOES not get close enough to the face you would want to be at(probably can be achieved with some people because of tastes). In my experience the presets were all out of my taste in most of different face mods I used and having all the sliders to the left wasn't good enough either. I realized that when I reached the "minimal requirement" that fit my preferences whenever I used different face mods I would just have to do minor changes (e.g mouth, nose shape etc.) So how do we do this? Remember that the face doesn't need to be perfect at this point you just need to get a setting that is close(but far) from you're taste. You can simply do this by downloading saves and the face mod used in them. And when I mean download I'm talking about examples on nexus where most modders have their mods used listed(and at the same time, having the save) or in old forums where the modding community just started concentrating on basic character creation using Bella's face textures or the Envision face. Its pretty easy considering that you have to just type words in the search bar. Oh yea and don't forget that each race have different kind of sliders. I mean this by saying: If you use the same custom preset for different races (e.g. Diff between Nord & Imperial) you will get a different result most likely to be you don't like. And also, don't stay in the saves you downloaded and keep on showracemenu'ing. Use CK to pull out the face or remember the slider settings and copy it onto you're own.

This step can be ignored if you already have a custom preset.

(Not editing this later)

One interesting way to create diverse faces:

1. Hit "random"

2. Set every slider to the far left or the far right. Your face should look absolutely terrible

3. Tweak each slider from the extreme so that it looks better than what it was.

4. Repeat for every slider.

Apparently this technique generates a very diverse collection of faces pretty quickly.

Depending on what you're going for, I think the most important factor is the set of .tri files you'll use to make faces. I believe the most popular ones are Enhanced Character Edit and Better Female Facegen. You can only use one of these mods at a time if you're using showracemenu, though, unless you make a new race for a different set of .tris.

If you're skilled at Blender, you'll have the most freedom generating faces exactly the way you want by creating your own .tris.

Like others have said, you should keep tweaking slider values in showracemenu to get the look you want. The face textures you use can play a big part in the range of looks you can achieve. Search for race/follower mods here and on the Nexus, and note the credits section if you like how they look. I highly recommend browsing this thread for resources.

Archived