i am willing to create an alternative to simblr

akw0207

as we all know, tumblr has banned adult content. for a lot of simblrs in particular this has been a hard hit. i am willing to create a mastodon instance for the sims 4 adult community as an alternative to tumblr, as i have the time necessary to dedicate and i have found an affordable hosting plan should there be an interest.

i'm not well-known and i only create cc for personal use, but i care about this community and want an alternative to tumblr for those who would use it. i've checked and no sims-related mastodon instances currently exist as far as i can tell, but mastodon seems the best alternative to tumblr there is at the moment. if there is sufficient interest in this project i will purchase a domain name and hosting to run the community.

(if you don't know what mastodon is, it is an open-source microblogging platform similar to tumblr but separated into instances, each of which is its own social network functioning independently. i wish more people knew about it and that there were more instances because it is truly great)

the official mastodon website is joinmastodon.org if you would like more information on what i'm proposing here. please let me know your thoughts on this as any input would be appreciated.

edit:

i'm also looking at other open-source social network creation tools, and would appreciate input on what features of tumblr simmers want to keep and which they can do without, as well as suggestions for names. if mastodon isn't something the community feels will adequately work as an alternative to simblr i can definitely create a social network on my own, as i did freelance web design for 3 years and know my way around wordpress and web coding.

edit 2:

i've found a social network software i want to use where i can create a completely customized platform. i've decided on the name simblrofourown, inspired by the ao3. i will post updates as i work on the site.

Does the server choice matter? I would like to join the server with the largest nsfw Sim community, if that choice does matter.

Edit: I am so bad at reading. I just read that you were willing to create an instance. I think it would be better as a general Simming instance, which allows NSFW content, because I can't find a general Simming instance either. I am also able to help pay for and maintain such a server, if you need help.

Edit 2: Call it simstodon.

7 hours ago, heartbeatsandbrainwaves said:

Does the server choice matter? I would like to join the server with the largest nsfw Sim community, if that choice does matter.

Edit: I am so bad at reading. I just read that you were willing to create an instance. I think it would be better as a general Simming instance, which allows NSFW content, because I can't find a general Simming instance either. I am also able to help pay for and maintain such a server, if you need help.

Edit 2: Call it simstodon.

thanks for the suggestion. yeah, a general simming instance would get a broader userbase and would be a place for more than just adult content creators to post things. the only downside to mastodon is the character limit for posts (it's the same as tumblr's for asks, iirc), and it makes me wonder if that would be something that some people might take issue with. i mainly used simblr to reblog cc and post my builds, and a summary for a build wouldn't take up 500 characters, so it wouldn't be an issue for me, but i know some people like to post longer things.

i'm also looking into other open-source social network bases to see if there's something more tumblr-like i could create. i know you were far more active on simblr than i was so you probably have a better idea of what the community would need. mastodon is much more well-known and established than the others i've looked at so far, so it seems the best choice, but if i'm going to create a platform as an alternative to simblr i want to take into account what the community at large would require.

8 hours ago, akw0207 said:

thanks for the suggestion. yeah, a general simming instance would get a broader userbase and would be a place for more than just adult content creators to post things. the only downside to mastodon is the character limit for posts (it's the same as tumblr's for asks, iirc), and it makes me wonder if that would be something that some people might take issue with. i mainly used simblr to reblog cc and post my builds, and a summary for a build wouldn't take up 500 characters, so it wouldn't be an issue for me, but i know some people like to post longer things.

i'm also looking into other open-source social network bases to see if there's something more tumblr-like i could create. i know you were far more active on simblr than i was so you probably have a better idea of what the community would need. mastodon is much more well-known and established than the others i've looked at so far, so it seems the best choice, but if i'm going to create a platform as an alternative to simblr i want to take into account what the community at large would require.

Yes, I agree that Mastodon is already well-established, and that is an advantage the platform has. I've only been on Simblr since August, although I was lurking for a while before then. I'm not an expert. But I have noticed that a lot of people on Tumblr seem to want to "start their own simblr". It's full of scammers, dead-end projects, and people who generally have no idea what they're doing. And making a Mastodon server is probably the practical way to create something like that.

I don't see many Simblrs making very long posts, although some use that format. I saw one person more worried about the 5 picture limit, more than the character limit, lol.

Some people on Tumblr are discussing a site called Pillowfort. I'm not a massive fan, but I've heard it has a more tumblr-like structure, so a lot of people are looking to it as an alternative. It also has a lot of the potential problems of the original Tumblr, so I am not sure if I like it.

I set up a mastodon on the social server. https://mastodon.social/@heartbeatsandbrainwaves

I'm willing to join a new server and redirect this account, but I'm interested in if this'll get any followers.

• 2 weeks later...

I know OP vanished, but I am still willing to set up a Sims Mastodon instance. I am doing an interest check on my personal Discord right now, so take a look at let me know Things. https://discord.gg/fVqvYVV

I am going to be using masto.host and I want a custom domain name. Initial set up costs are a bit high, and I am willing to cover them, but only if there's a genuine community interest. Stop on by and chat to me!

How about a minds.com page/group? You can make groups there and post whatever you want without censorship (at least that's what they advertise, "free speech"), just tag it as explicit and you're good to go, also it has kind of a cryptocurrency reward system that I'm not really familiar with, it's a rather unknown social network, maybe you can start something big, who knows?

Archived