NMM and Mod Descriptions - why do some mods show them and others don't??

Hey there! This may, to some, seem like a silly question, but it's not one I've seen answered elsewhere (asked, yes - answered, not so much. I may simply be entering the wrong search terms, but I haven't found anything).

Why does Nexus Mod Manager show a description in a display window on the right-hand side of its interface panel for some mods, yet not for others? I have noticed this even with my own mods - a couple *DO* show a description, another does not (seemingly no matter what I do to try and *make* it show a description - also I cannot seem to edit the appearance of the description for the ones that do)?? :huh:

Hey there! This may' date=' to some, seem like a silly question, but it's not one I've seen answered elsewhere (asked, yes - answered, not so much. I may simply be entering the wrong search terms, but I haven't found anything).

Why does Nexus Mod Manager show a description in a display window on the right-hand side of its interface panel for some mods, yet not for others? I have noticed this even with my own mods - a couple *DO* show a description, another does not (seemingly no matter what I do to try and *make* it show a description - also I cannot seem to edit the appearance of the description for the ones that do)?? :huh:

[/quote']

In the .esp file there is a description field. You can see it with CK, in the open file dialog.

Hey there! This may' date=' to some, seem like a silly question, but it's not one I've seen answered elsewhere (asked, yes - answered, not so much. I may simply be entering the wrong search terms, but I haven't found anything).

[/quote']

In the .esp file there is a description field. You can see it with CK, in the open file dialog.

Here's something weird...

I have never heard of the above, and have never actively *done* anything (I don't even know how - I just checked in the CK & haven't got a clue of even where to begin to look for it) to that effect, yet check this out:

Untitled1.jpg?t=1353024274

This pic shows an earlier mod I uploaded to Nexus - I've never been able to get it to show a description unfortunately...

Untitled2-5.jpg?t=1353024298

In this second pic, we see highlighted the mod I uploaded on the same page last night. It has a description - but how? I didn't do anything different... :huh:

But there's more - it not just *ANY* description, it's not even the current one. It's as though somehow the file is using the description *which was on the page at the time of uploading*. :huh:

How can I actively change this in my mods?

I've downloaded that mod from Nexus site and I have this archive with the fomod file C:\Games\Nexus Mod Manager\Skyrim\Mods\cache\Children of Skyrim - NORD PRESETS 11-20-21184-1.rar.zip

I'm not sure how does this work, seems that NMM knows that mod somehow.

This is an example of how I pack the xml file: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?5l568ozi98l96q4

Edit: I see the description of your two mods in my NMM. I've noticed that the archives in the cache folder are not deleted when a mod is deleted using NMM.

I've downloaded that mod from Nexus site and I have this archive with the fomod file C:\Games\Nexus Mod Manager\Skyrim\Mods\cache\Children of Skyrim - NORD PRESETS 11-20-21184-1.rar.zip

I'm not sure how does this work' date=' seems that NMM knows that mod somehow.

This is an example of how I pack the xml file: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?5l568ozi98l96q4

Edit: I see the description of your two mods in my NMM. I've noticed that the archives in the cache folder are not deleted when a mod is deleted using NMM.

[/quote']

Ahhhh - bingo. It's in the "Cache" folder. Gottit. NMM seems to automatically generate this little piece of info depending on the description as it exists at the time you download. If you junk the mod, it doesn't necessarily remove it from the cache, and then if you re-download/apply the mod again later, NMM reads whatever it had left over in the cache from last time, even if it's outdated, or even if there simply *wasn't* a description at the time you originally applied the mod. :s

SO: if I wish to "add" a description to mine to force NMM to overwrite the cache, I need to physically add a Fomod\info.xml element containing whatever I want NMM to show (I'm assuming a simple cut-&-paste job should do it) to the archive, yeh? :)

(AFTERTHOUGHT: is there a way to force NMM to keep the .xml in the cache up to date?)

Archived