Mod idea: Sanguine's Curse: a Bound Armor mod

I just came up with this and wanted to share. I don't think I'll be making this since the creation kit is such a turn off for me. You're free to use this for inspiration though.

Sanguine's Curse: a Bound Armor mod

Every time you're hit by a Daedric being, there is a 1% (configurable) chance that you get Sanguine's Curse. You can also get it voluntarily by completing a ritual for Sanguine.

When the player has Sanguine's Curse, they cannot equip armor. In return, the player is gifted a bound armor spell.
When the bound armor spell is cast, armor is equipped that protects the caster.

• In the MCM, you can select whether you want the armor to be light or heavy.
  • You can improve and enchant your bound armor. These improvements will be kept.
  • The spell is active until cast again, which then disables the armor.
  • The armor is blue/purplish just like bound weapons, but it's mostly not transparent. It covers the caster's private parts.
  • When the player tries to equip armor while the curse is active, it is immediately unequipped and the player will get a 'burning' animation and will take a small bit of damage as punishment from Sanguine.

The spell has several levels of power just like most other spells: Novice, Apprentice, Adept, etc. With the novice spell, the armor looks weak. It looks like iron or leather armor. With the more advanced spells (eg. master), It looks like Daedric or Dragonbone armor.

Difficulty
There is a consequence to keeping the spell active. In the MCM you can pick a difficulty for this:

Easy: While the armor is active, Magicka regeneration is halved.

Standard: While the armor is active, Magicka does not regenerate.

Hard: While the armor is active, Magicka and Stamina do not regenerate.

This is to still make it feel like a curse rather than a blessing. This also means you have to hide naked in order to recover from fights.

That's all I have for now. What do you think?

These parts would be easy to do:

9 hours ago, konimo said:

Every time you're hit by a Daedric being, there is a 1% (configurable) chance that you get Sanguine's Curse. You can also get it voluntarily by completing a ritual for Sanguine.

When the player has Sanguine's Curse, they cannot equip armor. In return, the player is gifted a bound armor spell.
When the bound armor spell is cast, armor is equipped that protects the caster.

• The armor is blue/purplish just like bound weapons, but it's mostly not transparent. It covers the caster's private parts.
  • When the player tries to equip armor while the curse is active, it is immediately unequipped and the player will get a 'burning' animation and will take a small bit of damage as punishment from Sanguine.

The spell has several levels of power just like most other spells: Novice, Apprentice, Adept, etc. With the novice spell, the armor looks weak. It looks like iron or leather armor. With the more advanced spells (eg. master), It looks like Daedric or Dragonbone armor.

Difficulty
There is a consequence to keeping the spell active. 

Easy: While the armor is active, Magicka regeneration is halved.

Standard: While the armor is active, Magicka does not regenerate.

Hard: While the armor is active, Magicka and Stamina do not regenerate.

Not sure about this though:

9 hours ago, konimo said:

• You can improve and enchant your bound armor. These improvements will be kept.

And I don't know how to make MCM menus. Otherwise this would be not too hard to make, and I might just try to do something like this.

The reason for the "improve and enchant" part being that bound objects are temporary and are removed from the player's inventory when the spell effect expires. The vanilla tempering and enchanting systems rely on uniquely generated FormIDs that are created every time the item is spawned, so when the bound item dispels, any of those improvements/enchants would be lost and can't be restored. 

Anyway, I've almost completed a fairly complex mod for a "lawful good" Paladin-style playthrough, and I was thinking about going in the opposite direction and making some "chaotic evil" stuff next. I'm certainly interested in implementing some of the ideas you've written up here.

3 minutes ago, Siegmeyer said:

Not sure about this though:

You could do it by having different variants of each armor set with increasing stats (i.e. Novice Tier 1, Novice Tier 2, Novice Tier 3... and then Apprentice Tier 1, Apprentice Tier 2, and so on). Then you set up some "external" way to upgrade the armor that changes which tier gets equipped by the spell. Like "perform a ritual to Sanguine and get gangbanged by 3 Dremora to upgrade the armor", and once the scene is finished you flip a (logic) switch that causes the mod to equip Tier 2 sets instead of Tier 1 ones when the spells are cast.

Otherwise, you could use the vanilla enchantment and tempering functionality and simply use the exact same item every time the spell is cast. Have a hidden chest somewhere with the armor; when the spell is cast you move the item(s) to the PC's inventory and equip it, and then you warp it back to the chest when the effect wears off. Then again, there would need to be some workarounds to prevent you from dropping/unequipping/selling the items while still making them available for tempering/enchanting, so I don't know if that would be feasible.

1 hour ago, Blaze69 said:

You could do it by having different variants of each armor set with increasing stats (i.e. Novice Tier 1, Novice Tier 2, Novice Tier 3... and then Apprentice Tier 1, Apprentice Tier 2, and so on). Then you set up some "external" way to upgrade the armor that changes which tier gets equipped by the spell. Like "perform a ritual to Sanguine and get gangbanged by 3 Dremora to upgrade the armor", and once the scene is finished you flip a (logic) switch that causes the mod to equip Tier 2 sets instead of Tier 1 ones when the spells are cast.

Yes, I thought of that as a substitution for tempering, but it wouldn't really work with enchantments unless there were "pre-enchanted" versions of the armor. At least, you wouldn't be able to apply them using the vanilla enchanting system.

1 hour ago, Blaze69 said:

Otherwise, you could use the vanilla enchantment and tempering functionality and simply use the exact same item every time the spell is cast. Have a hidden chest somewhere with the armor; when the spell is cast you move the item(s) to the PC's inventory and equip it, and then you warp it back to the chest when the effect wears off. Then again, there would need to be some workarounds to prevent you from dropping/unequipping/selling the items while still making them available for tempering/enchanting, so I don't know if that would be feasible.

Dropping: set an empty nif with no collision as the GND object. Obviously you would lose the item forever this way, so not the best choice. I suppose instead you could flag it similarly to how quest items cannot be removed.

Selling: Just set the value to 0 and don't attach any VendorItem keywords. There might even be a keyword that disables all forms of selling.

Unequipping: whatever script forces the armor to be equipped with the magic effect active could also force re-equipping if the player attempts to unequip it. 

I think the hidden chest method is the most plausible actually.

Archived