Anyone here have experience modding Dragon Age Inquisition?

jimmywon34

Looking to throw a handful of mods into Dragon Age Inquisition GOTY edition, but from what little I understand so far it looks like it's a bit different from Bethesda titles. Also looks like it's different from modding DA:Origins as well.

I have some questions starting off, thought i'd ask here if no one minds. also trying to get help on the DA:I forums on nexus but no responses on there so far. the modding scene for this game obviously isn't very active so looking for any answers I can get from anywhere.

my first question would be is it much of a pain to mod this game? does it affect performance and cause a lot of crashing?

I've modded it a bit before, and was about to get into it again actually. (My next mage is going to dress like Viv, rather than the ugly Inquisitor styles.) Here's an old but good guide on how to get set up: link

Basically, it works by tricking the game into thinking there's a new update, and all the mods you use have to be merged into an update patch that adds their changes to the base game. You have to be a bit careful not to install two mods that change the same things - for example, some mods can add resource materials to a vendor's stock, while others might stock him with crafting schematics, and you can't have both; in Skyrim the second would simply override the first, but in DAI it will stop the patch from being built at all as far as I remember. Most mod pages on nexus will explain what they're compatible with though.

The only crash/stability issues I've ever come across are with the Descent and Black Emporium dlcs. In Descent there's a specific scene where you inspect a pile of bodies that will always crash if you have any mods installed at all. At least, that was the case when I last modded the game, and I would assume still is. You have to remove your mod update patch, renumber the official update patch so the game doesn't think it's been downgraded, get through the scene, then reverse the process. Googling DAI mods Descent, or something along those lines, should give you the details. In the emporium, the appearance change mirror won't work with many appearance mods - like hairstyles and make-up - and the entire zone may cause a crash just upon entering in some cases. Most mods will warn about that on their file pages, and usually tell you how to avoid it.

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:01 AM, SleepyJim said:

I've modded it a bit before, and was about to get into it again actually. (My next mage is going to dress like Viv, rather than the ugly Inquisitor styles.) Here's an old but good guide on how to get set up: link

Basically, it works by tricking the game into thinking there's a new update, and all the mods you use have to be merged into an update patch that adds their changes to the base game. You have to be a bit careful not to install two mods that change the same things - for example, some mods can add resource materials to a vendor's stock, while others might stock him with crafting schematics, and you can't have both; in Skyrim the second would simply override the first, but in DAI it will stop the patch from being built at all as far as I remember. Most mod pages on nexus will explain what they're compatible with though.

The only crash/stability issues I've ever come across are with the Descent and Black Emporium dlcs. In Descent there's a specific scene where you inspect a pile of bodies that will always crash if you have any mods installed at all. At least, that was the case when I last modded the game, and I would assume still is. You have to remove your mod update patch, renumber the official update patch so the game doesn't think it's been downgraded, get through the scene, then reverse the process. Googling DAI mods Descent, or something along those lines, should give you the details. In the emporium, the appearance change mirror won't work with many appearance mods - like hairstyles and make-up - and the entire zone may cause a crash just upon entering in some cases. Most mods will warn about that on their file pages, and usually tell you how to avoid it.

thanks for the link to the guide and info. first question would be,

what do you think of frosty tools mod manager, I believe that's what it is called, that is another mod manager for the frosty engine, I've read somewhere that there are more mods for DAI Tools Suite Loader, so that'd ultimately be the way to go since it has more compatible with it, is that right?

Also, is it like Bethesda games, where outdated mods will not or might not work with the latest version of the game? i'm not sure when the last update for the game was, i'm on the goty edition, there might be some mods I might want from as far back as 2015 but not sure if they'd be compatible with my version of the game.

Honestly, this is the first I've heard of the Frosty manager. It's been about a year since I last played DAI on PC, so I missed all of that. Having just had a quick scan of things it looks like it could be the better option if enough mods are converted for it, as it sounds like it will avoid some of the crashing problems in the dlcs. But there don't look to be many mods available for it. Going with the DAI Tools manager will give a much wider selection at the moment.

As for out of date mods, there are bound to be some. Reading through the posts/comments for individual mods on nexus is probably the best way to see if they still work. People will likely have complained about a mod if it doesn't. From the looks of it, the game hasn't been updated since I last played it, and I'd be surprised if they're supporting it with updates any more. There should have been plenty of time for mods to be patched or outdated ones to be noted.

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 4:01 PM, SleepyJim said:

Honestly, this is the first I've heard of the Frosty manager. It's been about a year since I last played DAI on PC, so I missed all of that. Having just had a quick scan of things it looks like it could be the better option if enough mods are converted for it, as it sounds like it will avoid some of the crashing problems in the dlcs. But there don't look to be many mods available for it. Going with the DAI Tools manager will give a much wider selection at the moment.

As for out of date mods, there are bound to be some. Reading through the posts/comments for individual mods on nexus is probably the best way to see if they still work. People will likely have complained about a mod if it doesn't. From the looks of it, the game hasn't been updated since I last played it, and I'd be surprised if they're supporting it with updates any more. There should have been plenty of time for mods to be patched or outdated ones to be noted.

any mods you can recommend that have no problems?

I am looking mainly for more gold, or cheaper vendors, or both would be nice, or at least the higher quality schematics to be cheaper. More of the unique or the rare ingredients dropped that you need to craft the high quality gear, armor, weapons and runes. Also, I was looking at this,

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonageinquisition/mods/414?tab=description

for more inquisition perk points I can use, have any experience with this mod by chance? I see a couple people say they couldn't get it to work and another say he did with the latest version GOTY edition so thought i'd ask here first if you've played with it. The description also mentions that if you're already at level 20, which I am, you need to use something called Cheatengine but Idk what that is. I tried to search it on nexus but didn't find anything.

I've never used a perk mod before. To be honest, I'm usually struggling to pick perks by the time I get the Inquisition to about level 12-15, as there isn't much left I want. I haven't used the cheat engine either, and not sure what it is.

Most of the mods I've used are cosmetic stuff.

If you don't want to wear the mercenary coat during the prologue (all races, classes and backgrounds wearing the same starting outfit is a bit ridiculous) something like this is great.

For wearing a follower's unique armour styles I use Live like Viv, Sera's Breeches and Inquissandra for a human female. (Sera's an elf but uses the human body, so only human females can wear her stuff.) There are also similar mods around for male Qunari to dress like Bull, male dwarves like Varric, male elves like Solas, and male humans like Blackwall, Cole or Dorian.

To be able to craft lots of the multiplayer armours in singleplayer, this one's great. The schematics are in the optional files, and you can only install one of the recipes at a time, because they all alter the same vendor's stock, but you can buy one pack's recipes then install another and buy those, and so on. As long as the crafting pack for each set remains in your game you can get quite a collection of high-powered gear depending on your tastes.

A few little touches that I often use: portraits, no beige dirt build-up for Inky, an anti-gold dress for Josie (some cinematics will still have her vanilla look, as will other npcs if you use mods to change them.)

For cheap resources I have used this one before and it worked perfectly. There's an extra version with dlc materials as well, linked to in the description.

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 5:41 AM, SleepyJim said:

Most of the mods I've used are cosmetic stuff.

ah nice, there's some good ones in there. i'll have to wait 'til after this playthrough to install that one then since i'm already past level 20. I'll keep looking for a mod for more gold or cheaper high quality schematics. i'm looking up guides right now on how to make a bunch of gold so maybe i'll find something that way.

thanks for the links.

Archived