Companion Creation

Mailamea

After a lot of work on my DestructionData mod, about 500++ items destroyable, I'm gonna take a break before continuing it, then releasing it..

Why?

I am ready to create my own Companion mod, based on my character MhiaSummers, it will be fully voiced by me, lip synced, quests(when I learn creating companion type quest), companion wheel(when I learn to)

So what do I need?

I need companion creation tutorial, tips, how do I make the face not ugly when I'm using custom race, fixing ugly skin coloring when creating npc. How to create a simple mini quest after quest npc joins you, companion wheel, audio type for voice. Etc

Any info is helpful, thanks.

Well the first thing you need to figure out is what body mod you are going to use and what companion you want to as a base for making it, the best ones would most likely be either Cass or Veronica.

For the face it might be possible to create your character in game and then import the face onto the companion. I know you can do it for Oblivion not sure about Fallout NV though.

The quest side is going to be a pain considering like Oblivion all dialogue is mainly done through quests. It's best to make sure the character is the way you want it before you start doing speech dialogue.

The most important thing is not to rush things. Stuff like this can take months to years to complete fully.

I you need help just shout.

First thing is already done. I have my own race as base fully customized with its own meshes, textures and everything. Yeah I want the companion to look like my character, I have heard of transfering player face to companion, but not sure how to do it in Fallout.

Yep Its already set on my mind to use existing companions as base, cause it will be a pain to make new ones.

Yeah quests and voices are the last. Need to make the companion work first and have a proper ai package.

@astymma : thanks :)

First thing is already done. I have my own race as base fully customized with its own meshes' date=' textures and everything. Yeah I want the companion to look like my character, I have heard of transfering player face to companion, but not sure how to do it in Fallout.

Yep Its already set on my mind to use existing companions as base, cause it will be a pain to make new ones.

Yeah quests and voices are the last. Need to make the companion work first and have a proper ai package.

@astymma : thanks :)

[/quote']

I could most likely transfer the face if you create a character with the face and send me a save and the companion esp and I can do it by hand, tricky as hell but doable.

There is another way but I have to research into it a bit.

You most likely know all this but just in case.

Another thing you want to think about is requirements.

You want your mod to use FalloutNV.esm only. That way you can target the biggest amount of users possible with it.

All meshes, textures and sounds files should be included in the mod. If people have to go finding stuff then they most likely won't download and use it.

Considering you can speak your two languages it might be best to create one English sound set and one Filipino one. Giving you an even bigger audience.

The Easiest way to get the face for your companion is

use fnv Edit and a save game face ripper theres one on the nexus that works pretty well http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/35769

ones you get that installed open the save you want the face data from

and copy and paste it into your companions esp in fnv edit

then open it in geck to make adjustments

Super coincidence, the moment i read this, is the moment i remembered about face ripper.

I used face ripper like 2011 ago. lol. Thanks though :):):)

Update : got the basic AI package running and a basic talk quest to hire working. :)

Here is a very small video test of what is slightly done so far. Of course im gonna change where she is located, and im gonna add a good story to it. Will also include her own custom perk icons, own custom armor mesh icons, custom weapons + custom weapon icons. The machine pistol is included, gonna change the hair of the icon too, and the hair color to Mhia's original Auburn hair color.

EDIT : the video upload is processing so try the link later. Or within 5-15min

[video=youtube]

EDIT : almost done 75% upload

Video is ready :)

Found errors with face ripper. But fixed.

Face ripper is race strictly. I transferred my playerrace face(me) to my companionrace(mhia) = geck and nv crash. The work around I made is make a new character using my companion race, edit its face to use mhia face. Then viola, face ripper my new character to my companion.

No more miscolored head and body :)

Time to make some ai package....

Nice and impressive!!! :D

ai packages are easy.

Tip: Plan them out first in a spreadsheet or something before you put them in game. As it can be a bit of a nightmare running around changing things later only to find out you broke something which could lead to new problems.

I have a template of one if you want it.

Nice and impressive!!! :D

ai packages are easy.

Tip: Plan them out first in a spreadsheet or something before you put them in game. As it can be a bit of a nightmare running around changing things later only to find out you broke something which could lead to new problems.

I have a template of one if you want it.

Thanks, making lip files is a pain though, its quite, very easy, but time consuming.

Yeah thanks for reminding, I broke wander package earlier, good thing I keep like 3 backups of my esp.

Sure thing, more help, the better :)

Thanks' date=' making lip files is a pain though, its quite, very easy, but time consuming.

Yeah thanks for reminding, I broke wander package earlier, good thing I keep like 3 backups of my esp.

[/quote']

Was there supposed to be sound in that video? I didn't hear any :-/

I will find the spreadsheet and upload it.

oh and don't edit existing packages, create new ones solely for your companion with names like. If your not doing so already.

aaaMhiaWanderPackage <<< gets thrown to the top of the list that way :)

Thanks' date=' making lip files is a pain though, its quite, very easy, but time consuming.

[/quote']

Was there supposed to be sound in that video? I didn't hear any :-/

I will find the spreadsheet and upload it.

oh and don't edit existing packages, create new ones solely for your companion with names like. If your not doing so already.

aaaMhiaWanderPackage <<< gets thrown to the top of the list that way :)

Yeah, forgot to turn on audio settings on fraps, lol.

Yup, I make new packages, I don't want to mess with the default ones.

Here is the spreadsheet.

If you see a little red arrow hover over it for a tip or right click and select edit comment.

It's only contains the basics of the window. Drop down boxes are on some cells so you don't have to type stuff in.

If you look at GECK side by side with the spreadsheet it will make sense. Use a different file for each companion you do :) I have placed some information in it as a example, just clean it out before you start planning.

Have fun :) Any issues just PM me or comment here.

I'll create a thread and place all these spreadsheets in it for others to use as well when I get around to it.

Feel free to edit it, just no one upload it anywhere else.

IT STAYS ON LL!!

I need help.

How do I make a dialog only pickable once. For example I hired the companion, but when I talk to him/her I can still pick the hire topic?

I tried making it say once, but when I fire my companion, or tell them to go lucky 38, the hire dialog is not there anymore when the say once flag is on, meaning I can't rehire them.

I need help.

How do I make a dialog only pickable once. For example I hired the companion' date=' but when I talk to him/her I can still pick the hire topic?

I tried making it say once, but when I fire my companion, or tell them to go lucky 38, the hire dialog is not there anymore when the say once flag is on, meaning I can't rehire them.

[/quote']

If you using a companion as a base you shouldn't be having this issue.

I suppose you could add a if statement in the script.

Something like this.

if hired

Remove topic 'hire'

endif

if dismissed

add topic 'hire'

endif

I really don't know your best bet is asking user29 or Loogie foe some help with topics, I'm sure they will help out. If not them go look at Cass or Veronica is GECK and take a look that their dialogues.

But if you are using a companion as a base then you shouldn't be having this issue because it should be done already.

I need help.

How do I make a dialog only pickable once. For example I hired the companion' date=' but when I talk to him/her I can still pick the hire topic?

[/quote']

Maybe you could use the "quest stage as a state condition" method for hiring/firing, so if you hire a companion then in the result you set the companionQuest to a specific quest stage and have a condition that the topic is only triggered if the quest stage is under that threshold. Then when you fire them you put another setStage in the result reverting the quest to a pre-hired state and allowing the hire option to reappear.

Or, maybe give them a non-wearable token when they're hired and use an itemCount<1 condition to lock out the topic. Then you just remove the token when you dismiss them.

Just ideas. I've just been looking at NCCS myself. It's got a good "companion creation guide" I wonder how it compares with Colourwheel?

Just a little creativity creating her own custom weapon :)

mhiamacpistol.png

Here is the icon i made for her weapon

I'll try to upload pictures of her current look :)

EDIT: Here's some pictures of Mhia Summers

screenshot0k.png

screenshot2yp.png

screenshot7r.png

screenshot4gc.png

screenshot6qu.png

screenshot1fu.png

Edit : Another edit, anyone can teach me how to change NPC's skin color properly? when i change the complexion the whole damn face changes

Anyone has any guide on how to customize how NPC skin color should be handled?

Using fnvfaceripper, results in you cannot edit the facedata anymore in the geck.

Lastly : anyone have any ideas on how to male a quest that needs you to kill a specific npc, I think it uses isdead condition, not really sure.

Using fnvfaceripper' date=' results in you cannot edit the facedata anymore in the geck.

Lastly : anyone have any ideas on how to male a quest that needs you to kill a specific npc, I think it uses isdead condition, not really sure.

[/quote']

There are a few ways. Making the NPC a quest target. Using an OnDeath block of a script. Checking if ActorREF.GetDead is true.

Using fnvfaceripper' date=' results in you cannot edit the facedata anymore in the geck.

[/quote']

There are a few ways. Making the NPC a quest target. Using an OnDeath block of a script. Checking if ActorREF.GetDead is true.

Wouldn't making the npc a target, make it just to activate the npc? Or I would use .getdead on the condition?

Wouldn't making the npc a target' date=' make it just to activate the npc? Or I would use .getdead on the condition?

[/quote']

You may want to be more specific in setting the conditions in order to be sure it was the player who killed the NPC if that is desired. In that case you'd use an OnDeath block to set a quest variable and use GetQuestVariable as your condition to advance the quest. You can even use an OnDeath that specifically only works if the player killed the NPC if required like so:

begin OnDeath Player

Obviously this would be a script attached to the NPC who is checking if they've been killed by the Player.

You can use GetDead as a condition for your quest but it will fire no matter how the NPC dies or who kills them (if anyone does, they might fall to their death).

As for assigning them as a quest target, that will just give the player a quest marker that follows the NPC around so they know who they need to kill if that's desired.

Archived