Custom Clothing - Disappearing

so after a long stretch with putting this mod together i have reached an impasse.

the model of the clothing disappears in one of two ways under one of two of these circumstances...

it used to be that the model would appear, but covered in purple texture-less surface, however when placed in the file structure:

Meshes>Clothes>CLOTHNAME>CLOTHNAME.NIF the character and their body appears but not the clothing - in other words, naked.

Meshes>Clothes>CLOTHNAME.NIF the entire body disappears.

i was told that its disappearing because its not in the right spot but for the life of me i cant seem to figure it out.

To debug this, a bit of background:

Purple textures on a visible mesh mean the mesh is in the right place but either the material file and/or textures are not.  To resolve this - check the material paths of the mesh in OS or NifSkope and/or use BAE to check the material file.

If the mesh doesn't show up at all (no purple) - the game cannot find it. Use CK or FO4Edit to check the paths of the addon record that the armor/clothing is pointing to.

A common issue is that people include Data\Meshes\ in the paths within CK/FO4Edit, but it is not necessary.  The Paths should be behind the Meshes folder:  Armor\something\something\etc.  or Clothing\something\something\etc.

On 7/22/2018 at 3:28 PM, AWP3RATOR said:

To debug this, a bit of background:

Purple textures on a visible mesh mean the mesh is in the right place but either the material file and/or textures are not.  To resolve this - check the material paths of the mesh in OS or NifSkope and/or use BAE to check the material file.

If the mesh doesn't show up at all (no purple) - the game cannot find it. Use CK or FO4Edit to check the paths of the addon record that the armor/clothing is pointing to.

A common issue is that people include Data\Meshes\ in the paths within CK/FO4Edit, but it is not necessary.  The Paths should be behind the Meshes folder:  Armor\something\something\etc.  or Clothing\something\something\etc.

sorry for the late reply, i was testing this and getting things in order - trying a few variations when i shit you not... fallout updated the minute i was about to run another test. damn you Bethesda and your almost coincidentally timed updates ;-;

So apparently, Fallout 4 updated to 1..10.106.0 today - you're not wrong.  No doubt, it's additional creation club content.

According to my file updates, they have updated the following:

Fallout4.exe

Fallout4.esm

Fallout4.ccc

Fallout4 - Interface.ba2

It's very likely that you're safe to rollback to the previous .exe file and launch the game with version 1.10.98.0

F4SE came out with a new release, i was able to get that up and working but despite changing it around every which way no matter how i change the file paths i cant seem to get it to appear in game...

the file path to the mesh reads as this:

Data>Meshes>Clothes>Test>Test.nif

The path entered into F04Edit reads as this:

Clothes>Test>Test.nif

-------------

ive done everything from trying to edit Fallout4Custom.ini / Fallout4prefs

to running it through Outfit studio numerous times

no matter which way i seem to alter the pathing or searches for those paths the only thing that appears is the hands and the head.

There are 2 places in the plugin to update paths for a given armor record:

ARMO: Actual Armor record - the paths here defines the world object path (when dropped or in crafting menu)

ARMA: Armor Addon record - the paths here define the worn item (male and female) and first person (male and female) records

Ensure that you are updating the ARMA version, to see it in-game.

17 hours ago, AWP3RATOR said:

There are 2 places in the plugin to update paths for a given armor record:

ARMO: Actual Armor record - the paths here defines the world object path (when dropped or in crafting menu)

ARMA: Armor Addon record - the paths here define the worn item (male and female) and first person (male and female) records

Ensure that you are updating the ARMA version, to see it in-game.

ive been updating it under the armor addon tab, i feel like the answer is right infront of my face somewhere but i have run out of ideas to experiment with.

@Pacman0188 You have a couple of issues with the plugin and mesh:

1. Disappearing body - the slots in the plugin are incorrect for this type of mesh.  As the mesh only covers the buttocks, you want to set this to an accessory slot (like 57).  You currently have body + the armor/under armor and pipboy slots, which tells the game to hide these meshes when this armor is equipped.  Set the slots to 55, 56, or 57 on the ARMA and ARMO reocords aslo. (one of the slots, not all 3)

2. Textures - the materials file is not referenced by the NIF, so it ignores it.  When a materials file is not present, the textures default to the "skyrim method" (but is incorrect for FO4) and those texutres are not included with the mod.

These paths are incorrect:  (and/or not included)

image.thumb.png.ef35c5977f1b4af4ab25a663d2791f51.png

Based on your mod paths, these textures would be referenced as:

Textures\Clothes\Tail\Tail_d.dds

Textures\Clothes\Tail_Tail_n.dds

Textures\Clothes\Tail\Tail_s.dds

But are in the incorrect locations are per NifSkope.

You want them to look like the below:

image.thumb.png.f677041d4981c4432b55ff8e977528ff.png

If you set the BSLightingShaderProperty NAME (materials path) to: Materials\RattleSnakeTail.BGSM the above will also be produced.  Ideally however, modders do not place materials files in the root ..\Data\Materials folder.  They should be in a folder structure similar to meshes or textures folders.  In your case, that would be ..\Data\Materials\Clothes\Tail\RattleSnakeTail.BGSM

3. Bone weight/rigging - the mesh is rigged below the body (by what appears to be a standard 120 units) - this needs to be moved up to the correct location and re-rigged against the body skeleton.

image.thumb.png.b6212a6a1e23d3839bccc39dc55bff36.png

On 7/27/2018 at 8:15 PM, AWP3RATOR said:

@Pacman0188 You have a couple of issues with the plugin and mesh:

1. Disappearing body - the slots in the plugin are incorrect for this type of mesh.  As the mesh only covers the buttocks, you want to set this to an accessory slot (like 57).  You currently have body + the armor/under armor and pipboy slots, which tells the game to hide these meshes when this armor is equipped.  Set the slots to 55, 56, or 57 on the ARMA and ARMO reocords aslo. (one of the slots, not all 3)

2. Textures - the materials file is not referenced by the NIF, so it ignores it.  When a materials file is not present, the textures default to the "skyrim method" (but is incorrect for FO4) and those texutres are not included with the mod.

These paths are incorrect:  (and/or not included)

image.thumb.png.ef35c5977f1b4af4ab25a663d2791f51.png

Based on your mod paths, these textures would be referenced as:

Textures\Clothes\Tail\Tail_d.dds

Textures\Clothes\Tail_Tail_n.dds

Textures\Clothes\Tail\Tail_s.dds

But are in the incorrect locations are per NifSkope.

You want them to look like the below:

image.thumb.png.f677041d4981c4432b55ff8e977528ff.png

If you set the BSLightingShaderProperty NAME (materials path) to: Materials\RattleSnakeTail.BGSM the above will also be produced.  Ideally however, modders do not place materials files in the root ..\Data\Materials folder.  They should be in a folder structure similar to meshes or textures folders.  In your case, that would be ..\Data\Materials\Clothes\Tail\RattleSnakeTail.BGSM

3. Bone weight/rigging - the mesh is rigged below the body (by what appears to be a standard 120 units) - this needs to be moved up to the correct location and re-rigged against the body skeleton.

image.thumb.png.b6212a6a1e23d3839bccc39dc55bff36.png

First let me start by thanking you for the assistance thus far, this is one of my first experiences with modding and I think I've definitely learned a lot with things like mudbox, blender, f04edit, the creation kit, etc. With that said I fully intend to jump back into this when I have time, i definitely feel like I'm on the precipice of getting this through you've been helping me quite a lot and I appreciate that.

EDIT: i got as far as rigging before i had to start searching around and got to some unusual answers, some of which didn't always make sense...

some were saying that i needed to paint them in OS, others were saying i needed to import clothing as a reference which didnt quite make sense...

im assuming one of two things will work:

A. Paint it HEAVILY in OS

or

B. simply move it 120 up in outfit studio

I tried option B out and it seems to have worked, i need to tweak its position a little bit but i think i've done it! thank you so much.

Archived