Limited availability of animations

Hi.

I've seen the dozens of posts regarding the (seemingly) limited selection of animations available when using the "0" (zero) key function of Defeat. I'm not sure I understand why this is happening, or why this would be desirable or "by design". If I have taken the trouble to download and install 30 or 300 type "abcxyz" animations, and they all fit the description of the selected act I chose (one of the 25 or so possible choices when configuring SLEN)), why am I only seeing 3 or 4 animations listed when I press the (zero) key? This certainly is not the behavior I see when using the "Follow me" mod. It doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, I saw the recommended solution suggesting we use SLATE to add tags to the animations I already have. I spent 2 or 3 hours just now doing this... but unfortunately it didn't make a bit of difference. Still only the 3 or 4 per type defined by SLEN.

Is there some other trick I can use or script edit I can make (I'm not a scripter so it would have to be "go here, do this"... specifically) to allow all the anims, or a wider range of appropriate anims, I have installed to be made available to SLEN using the zero key?

It may be a cheat, and it need not be perfect... I can police myself when it comes to what does or does not make sense for a given situation. 

Any suggestions appreciated.

1 hour ago, jdkbph said:

Hi.

I've seen the dozens of posts regarding the (seemingly) limited selection of animations available when using the "0" (zero) key function of Defeat. I'm not sure I understand why this is happening, or why this would be desirable or "by design". If I have taken the trouble to download and install 30 or 300 type "abcxyz" animations, and they all fit the description of the selected act I chose (one of the 25 or so possible choices when configuring SLEN)), why am I only seeing 3 or 4 animations listed when I press the (zero) key? This certainly is not the behavior I see when using the "Follow me" mod. It doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, I saw the recommended solution suggesting we use SLATE to add tags to the animations I already have. I spent 2 or 3 hours just now doing this... but unfortunately it didn't make a bit of difference. Still only the 3 or 4 per type defined by SLEN.

The 0 key isn't a function just of Defeat but Sexlab and SL Tools also have keys you can configure that display a list of animations. They all work the same way:

The list of animations is a list matching the tags used by a mod requesting Sexlab start an animation. If you are using SLEN this will be "the worst" for this kind of case because the dialog option you pick will use a set of tags that MUST be present on the animation and also a set that MUST NOT be present on the animation. This does mean you can have tightly controlled and role play fitting animations picked, but it also means you might have just one fitting animation.

Some mods, like Matchmaker, use very few tags and no "must not" tags at all, giving you the widest range of animations.  What you can do is open the console and see the list of tags either required, not required or excluded and use those clues to add or remove tags from your animations using the SLATE mod or by editing the JSONs... if you wanted to go that route.

10 hours ago, karlpaws said:

The 0 key isn't a function just of Defeat but Sexlab and SL Tools also have keys you can configure that display a list of animations. They all work the same way:

The list of animations is a list matching the tags used by a mod requesting Sexlab start an animation. If you are using SLEN this will be "the worst" for this kind of case because the dialog option you pick will use a set of tags that MUST be present on the animation and also a set that MUST NOT be present on the animation. This does mean you can have tightly controlled and role play fitting animations picked, but it also means you might have just one fitting animation.

Some mods, like Matchmaker, use very few tags and no "must not" tags at all, giving you the widest range of animations.  What you can do is open the console and see the list of tags either required, not required or excluded and use those clues to add or remove tags from your animations using the SLATE mod or by editing the JSONs... if you wanted to go that route.

Ah. OK. I thought I read up-thread somewhere that directly editing the JSON did not have any effect. If that's not true, then I can probably fix my issue that way.

Thanks for the tip.

4 hours ago, jdkbph said:

Ah. OK. I thought I read up-thread somewhere that directly editing the JSON did not have any effect. If that's not true, then I can probably fix my issue that way.

Thanks for the tip.

Editing the JSON means you won't have to redo all the work again in the next game, but SLATE's record feature can help reduce the work (though I've never used it, just made a bunch of custom rules to use instead).  If you do edit the JSON for this game, you'd have to re-register the SLAL pack

2 hours ago, karlpaws said:

Editing the JSON means you won't have to redo all the work again in the next game, but SLATE's record feature can help reduce the work (though I've never used it, just made a bunch of custom rules to use instead).  If you do edit the JSON for this game, you'd have to re-register the SLAL pack

Thanks again for the assist. I had neglected to reregister with SLAL.