[Lore Question] Do mages hate non magic users in skyrim?

Hey guys, we know that there are a lot of non magic users that hate mages but how do the mages feel the other way around? I need this information for a mod that i'm working on which relies heavily on this question. It wouldn't make much sense if all the mages are ok with non mages right?

So what do you guys think?

Hate? Does the man hate the ant when he carelessly steps on it? No, he does so without noticing. 

I imagine there's a lot of elitism within the magic community, and a tendency of looking down upon mundanes. However, many mundanes fear and hate magic users, often for good reason, and some of that emotion could definitely reflect, causing loathing from the magician towards the mundanes. 

In general, magic's position in Tamriel is a cultural thing primarily, with some cultures reverring and encouraging magic training, while others downplay the importance and potency of magic, or outright villify it. Magical wielders inside a homogenous culture would probably project the cultural perception of magic users upon themselves, while those in differing cultures probably would have more individual responses to those around them.

Nords in Skyrim might not like mages right now because they blame them for several bad things, but obviously not all Nords feel that way. All of the jarls have a court mage (at least the major ones, Dawnstar does but Falkreath doesn't) and Onmund is an example of a Nord trying to be one.

You'll need to look at the location, timeframe and population of your mod and see if they commonly have mages or not. Bretons, Dunmer and Altmer will be rather mage friendly while other races will depend a bit more on location and time.

If mages include necromancers,and high elf's they have a complete disdain for others who are not like them. If you remember starting the College of Winter-hold quest line your met with child like treatment " cast a candle light spell if you know it" to even get in or " do you know a simple ward spell". Sad to say these are the only two times anyone requires you to do anything related to magic to do the quest line and can even become arc-mage with no magic skill at all as I play an archer and use no magic all. So my opinion is nobody asks you to do magic because they feel you are not capable even incompetent to do even the simplest of magic.

If mages include necromancers,and high elf's they have a complete disdain for others who are not like them. If you remember starting the College of Winter-hold quest line your met with child like treatment " cast a candle light spell if you know it" to even get in or " do you know a simple ward spell". Sad to say these are the only two times anyone requires you to do anything related to magic to do the quest line and can even become arc-mage with no magic skill at all as I play an archer and use no magic all. So my opinion is nobody asks you to do magic because they feel you are not capable even incompetent to do even the simplest of magic.

I'd put some of that down to bad quest writing, but the high elf issue isn't magical, but that some of them feel superior to all non altmer.

Archived