Odd CK Warning Text

Allannaa

I was looking at the exteriors of the BYOH houses in the CK, and I got the following error for cell -3,-17 in Tamriel.

TEXTURES: Texture Set missing texture textures\actors\character\hair\apachii\vanilla\hairlong.dds

I'm a little confused here.  First of all, I had NOTHING except Hearthfires itself checked to load.

Second, this is a completely clean install because of a recent HD death.

Third, I have never installed anything from "apachii" on this HD.  I tried one of the "apachii" mods years ago and didn't like it, so I uninstalled it -- but that was ages back on the HD that crashed and burned, so, see above, there's never been anything from "apachii" on this computer.

Seriously, at the moment I just have the basics --

Legacy, the texture packs, update, HF, DG, DB

Realistic Ragdolls

XPMSE

FNIS and Creatures

SOS

SL, Zaz

SLA, SLAC

SLK (yes, I know this is new, but Vinfamy didn't use assets from any apachii mods)

USLEEP

iNeed

SkyUI

Has that warning been there all along and I just never saw it because I never went to that particular cell before in the CK?  Or what?

Did you add any mods from steam?  steam will automatically re-add the mods to any new hd or computer when you install/update skyrim.

Go to your the elder scrolls v: Skyrim selection in steam and click browse the workshop... (a little ways down on the page)

under browse dropdown go subscribed items.  See if anything is there.  

Absolutely not -- I hate steam with a passion only sightly less than ... actually, there's nothing I hate more than steam.  I reacquired Skyrim (and HF and DG, and DB, the "legacy" pack in other words and I was very careful to not even touch the SSE stuff because I don't want it) and the CK, and then downloaded the newest versions of the mods I use directly from Nexus or LoversLab.

I unzipped and installed the files where they belong, and obviously everything works right in the GAME, it's just that the CK is popping this warning for that cell.

Extra note, it does NOT give the warning with just Skyrim + Update checked in the CK.  It's only when HF is checked.

Edit -- Lodakai, I did do what you said (after I remembered to turn Steam to Online lol) and no, I've got nothing subscribed.  I knew I didn't, but I figured you were kind enough to suggest something, so I did what you suggested.

I checked my own data folder to see if there would be a conflict within mod organizer.  

I have those textures installed from optimized vanilla textures.  

If they included it.. then perhaps those assets are made use of by skyrim base install.    

See if you have anything pointing to those folders from mod organizer data section.

uh.  Mod organizer?  You mean I have to go download that, to check this?  I've never, EVER used it after the first time it screwed Skyrim up.  I'm aware a lot of people like the thing, but I emphatically do not.  I know where things go in the Skyrim > Data directory, so I put them there.  And I read the descriptions of the mods to make damnsure I have the load order itself right.  (And anyway, look at my load order, lol.  It's a little hard to mess up that few mods.)

Besides, on my connection it'll be next Wednesday before the damned thing finishes downloading anyway.

I loaded that cell and there's a dead dude there, named "Woodcutter".  He's based on Male Breton, it seems, and he's part of HF.  I'm wondering if he's the culprit (er, so to speak.)

Yeah, that's what I found, too, but it took me longer.

So either I can try the mod organizer method... or I can delete and re-acquire skyrim (yet again, talk about taking forever)... or I can just shrug and go "oh screw this" and not worry?

What would you do in my place?

It really depends...  is it for playing? or for making one of your contributions?       

For now.. we know what the error points to textures\actors\character\hair\apachii\vanilla\hairlong.dds

We also know the asset is available in optimized vanilla textures : http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/57353/?

It's a bit download.. so if MO takes you a week.. this will probably take one month.  But.  I would single out the asset from that download..   place it in its folder individually.. and see if it still spits out a warning.

Or... just ignore the warning..  for now it seems you can still do whatever you need to do without it.   You shouldn't always coddle your creation kit.. it's enough of a baby as it is.  Maybe someone else has run into this and can give better advice.

It really depends...  is it for playing? or for making one of your contributions?       

<snip>

You shouldn't always coddle your creation kit.. it's enough of a baby as it is.  Maybe someone else has run into this and can give better advice.

ROTFL the last part, it sure is a baby, isn't it?

I'm torn as to whether this will be for release; I added an apple tree that I made, "enabled" by one section of the fence if you build the garden outside... And I got rid of a bunch of bags associated with furniture inside.  (Honestly, sacks of crap in the bedroom?  *eyeroll*)  So I replaced most of the bags with single gold coins.  Makes the houses look a lot less cluttered and more refined.

But what the heck, anyone else could do that, too, just by "Ctrl +F" in the CK.  I hadn't even got as far as adding the tree to the outside -- that's when I found the scary message lol, so I just stopped and panicked.

You've really been helpful, and I appreciate it!

ps, have I mentioned I like your avatar?

Archived