Question about SEQ generation

Allannaa

This is probably a nooblet question, and I probably once knew, but have forgotten the answer.

If I've created a mod, say AllaSillyStuff... and I've used the command line, or the Steam method, of making the AllaSillyStuff.SEQ file....

If I later go back and change something in the mod, do I need to re-make the SEQ?

For instance, if I add a quest to it -- I'd probably need to re-make the SEQ.  But what if I just added a texture replacement, or made a static object?  Do I still need a new SEQ?

(Thanks for not laughing at the half-senile old lady.)

You need to regenerate the SEQ file every time you add a new quest, that starts at game start, and has dialogues (or data depending on the quests.)

The quickest way to generate the SEQ file is through TES5Edit.

In case you add new dialogues to an existing quest, and the quest had already dialogues, then there is no need to re-generate the SEQ file.

Textures, Armors, NPCs, etc. are irrelevant for the SEQ file. It is used only to pre-activate the dialogues of a quest started automatically.

Also scripts in the quest will run fine without the SEQ file.

TESVedit is a staple! Very quick at making an SEQ and putting it in the right directory. In the process of building my mod's (too long) introduction quest, I've generated dozens of SEQ files.

Any time you change dialog, or an actor alias, etc. Altering a static object or texture wouldn't require a new SEQ file.

oh, awesome!  Thanks for the quick answer, CPU  (my hero!)

Reason I asked, one of my kids wanted a new armour texture added to a mod I already made her, and she wanted a few tweaks to her player house.  I was pretty sure the armour wasn't an issue ... but since the house tweaking involved renavmeshing so her spouse wouldn't run into a wall or something while it was carrying out the vanilla "spouse sandbox package", I thought I probably ought to re-SEQ it.  Then I got to wondering if I really *did* need to.  It's good to know that unless I mess with a quest or add one, I don't have to go thru the trouble.

TESEdit never works for me, for some reason.  It's supposed to take less than 10 seconds to generate your SEQ, but all it ever does for me is poop out errors, or crash.  I think it knows I'm scared of it, so it takes advantage of me!

Archived