Cannot save/load presets with looksmenu

Fixadent

If the Presets function is greyed out, that usually means a wrong version. Go into your Fallout4 game folder and make sure you don't have any "junk" files from older versions of F4SE. For the current version, the only files you need are:

f4se_1_8_7.dll

f4se_loader.exe

f4se_steam_loader.dll

Any other "f4se" files should be deleted.

Then go into .....steamapps\common\Fallout4\Data\F4SE\Plugins\      and verify that f4ee.dll and f4ee.ini  are there.

Lastly, go to ......steamapps\common\Fallout4\Data\F4SE\Plugins\F4EE\Presets\    and make sure all your presets  (.json files) are there.

Do I extract the F4SE files to the fallout 4 data folder?

No, they go in the game folder, just as I told you already in my previous post. There's also a ReadMe file in the F4SE archive that tells you EXACTLY what you need to do. You might wanna read that too.

Do the files in the Fallout 4 game folder look right?

post-1391281-0-69484900-1482770082_thumb.jpg

No, they go in the game folder, just as I told you already in my previous post. There's also a ReadMe file in the F4SE archive that tells you EXACTLY what you need to do. You might wanna read that too.

The files are in the right place but I see you've installed an outdated version of F4SE. Is that because you're running an outdated version of Fallout 4 too? If that's the case, the version of Looksmenu MUST match the version of F4SE - the latest version will NOT work. In other words, your version of Fallout 4, F4SE and Looksmenu must all match. That would explain why the presets option doesn't work. You will need to downgrade your version of Looksmenu to the one that matches your version of F4SE. I think Expired keeps some older versions available so check out the mod page on Nexus for the version you need.

The files are in the right place but I see you've installed an outdated version of F4SE. Is that because you're running an outdated version of Fallout 4 too? If that's the case, the version of Looksmenu MUST match the version of F4SE - the latest version will NOT work. In other words, your version of Fallout 4, F4SE and Looksmenu must all match. That would explain why the presets option doesn't work. You will need to downgrade your version of Looksmenu to the one that matches your version of F4SE. I think Expired keeps some older versions available so check out the mod page on Nexus for the version you need.

What is the latest version of F4SE and looksmenu?

I try using the F4SE launcher, but it says that my version of Fallout 4 is newer than what (the latest) version of F4SE supports.

Steam automatically updates all of my games to the latest versions whenever they are released.

F4SE 0.2.8 and looksmenu v1-1-7 are the latest ones, is that correct?

Well, I've got both of those installed and the presets option is still grayed out in-game.

If I extracted the F4SE files into the Fallout 4 data folder instead of the game folder, are there files that I need to delete in there that might be causing some conflict issues?

If the Presets function is greyed out, that usually means a wrong version. Go into your Fallout4 game folder and make sure you don't have any "junk" files from older versions of F4SE. For the current version, the only files you need are:

f4se_1_8_7.dll

f4se_loader.exe

f4se_steam_loader.dll

Any other "f4se" files should be deleted.

Then go into .....steamapps\common\Fallout4\Data\F4SE\Plugins\      and verify that f4ee.dll and f4ee.ini  are there.

Lastly, go to ......steamapps\common\Fallout4\Data\F4SE\Plugins\F4EE\Presets\    and make sure all your presets  (.json files) are there.

f4ee is just f4ee and isn't an ini file.

Could that be a problem?

What do I have to change?

Also, my game version is 1.8.7.0.0

post-1391281-0-07162200-1482792905_thumb.jpg

Your version of F4SE is too old. Delete all the old F4SE files and install the latest version from silverlock.org.

The "f4ee" file IS the ini file. Windows is just hiding the file extension but you can change that by going into "view" and putting a check mark in the box "File Name Extensions".

If you've already installed the latest version of Looksmenu, you should be OK after you update F4SE. I already gave you the correct filenames in a previous post for the current game version. 

Also, your screenie doesn't show any F4EE folder. This folder would contain two other folders - Presets (all your .json files) and Sliders. Maybe your version of Looksmenu is outdated as well. If I were you, I'd download and install the latest one from Nexus.

Your version of F4SE is too old. Delete all the old F4SE files and install the latest version from silverlock.org.

The "f4ee" file IS the ini file. Windows is just hiding the file extension but you can change that by going into "view" and putting a check mark in the box "File Name Extensions".

If you've already installed the latest version of Looksmenu, you should be OK after you update F4SE. I already gave you the correct filenames in a previous post for the current game version. 

Also, your screenie doesn't show any F4EE folder. This folder would contain two other folders - Presets (all your .json files) and Sliders. Maybe your version of Looksmenu is outdated as well. If I were you, I'd download and install the latest one from Nexus.

Here are three screenshots showing what versions of F4SE, Looksmenu, and game version that I have installed.

*Looksmenu 1-1-7

*F4SE 0.2.8

*Game 1.8.7.0.0

According to nexus, and silverstock, those are the latest versions of everything, and that's what I have installed.

post-1391281-0-95615600-1482804984_thumb.png

post-1391281-0-76552400-1482804989_thumb.jpg

post-1391281-0-74584800-1482804990_thumb.jpg

Well, the screen shot that you posted here shows the wrong version of F4SE. 

If everything is now up to date, you should be fine BUT in your other screen shot,  it looks like your character presets are missing.

If everything is now up to date, you should be fine BUT in your other screen shot,  it looks like your character presets are missing.

The Presets option in looksmenu is grayed out, and I can't even save a preset.

Also, the folder where the presets go is missing for some reason.

I'm pretty sure that I have the latest versions of F4SE, Looksmenu, and the game itself installed.

The Presets option in looksmenu is grayed out, and I can't even save a preset.

Also, the folder where the presets go is missing for some reason.

I'm pretty sure that I have the latest versions of F4SE, Looksmenu, and the game itself installed.

Right, that's what I was saying - your Presets folder is missing.

Also, if your "Presets" function is greyed out in Looksmenu, that's most likely caused by a mismatch in versions between F4SE and Looksmenu. As I said in my previous post, YOUR screenshot showed an old version of F4SE. If you installed a later version of Looksmenu, the Presets won't work because F4SE is outdated. You have a mismatch somewhere and you need to fix that. Start with F4SE and Looksmenu. Uninstall them both if you have to and start fresh. Lastly, I can't help you with your missing Presets folder. You'll have to find that on your own. If you're installing and uninstalling MANUALLY, it's a fair bet that you deleted it yourself. Good luck.

• 4 months later...

Thank you very much Mercenary 666 for your detailed and understandable assistance. It has been invaluable.

Ive had so much trouble trying to get presets to work. Got it working last fortnight but grrr issue with Steam meant I had to re-download and start from scratch.

One thing I want to add that Im not sure is in this thread:

Ive noticed NMM has a tendency to dump some files it installs in the Data folder when they should be installed elsewhere. Im not sure if this is just a quirk of my install (installed in D drive instead of C) or if some uploaders of mods are mistyping code that is confusing NMM (just a hunch of mine, Im certainly no coder myself).

Ive found myself forced to unzip files with 7zip and then manually load into the correct directory path as NMM has put in three separate F4SE folders in various places. One where it was meant to, another in Data folder and a third in some random file, I forget which.

The only advice I can give to others like myself experiencing issues is to CAREFULLY read posts from those such as Mercanary 666 who know their stuff and to make a BACK UP copy of the Vanilla game before modding!!!

Best of luck peeps and try to stay sane :P

Archived