Any neat 1-on-1 fighting games out there?

Alan47

Hey guys,

a friend of mine and me are regularly playing Super Smash Brothers together, 1 vs 1. It's a great game because it's easy to pick up and play but hard to master. However, after litterally thousands of games, things got a bit... stale. Also, the character balancing is truly horrible, the alignment of hitboxes to attack visuals is crappy in general, and there are several other annoying bits and pieces.

So, I'm looking for a nice alternative! Platform doesn't matter much, but PS 3, PS 4 and Wii / Wii U are preferred (PC is also an option). Basically we are looking for a fun fighting game with better 1vs1 balancing than smash brothers. Ideally with an e-sports community behind it and a developer that actively keeps balancing the game. For example, I like the soul calibur series a lot, but all entries after Soul Calibur 3 just sucked. I tried Pokken, but the controls feel extremely awkward. I took a brief look at Playstation All Stars Battle Royal, but it looked, felt and played like the ugly little brother of Smash... I never tried Street Fighter or Dead or Alive, I'd be happy to receive some experience reports on those for example.

That's about it, I'm open for any suggestions :)

1 v 1? You mean like every legit fighting game out there? lol

Skullgirls, DOA5lr, Tekken 6 or Tekken tag 2, Guilty Gear X3rd Revelator, BlazBlue Centralficton, MKX, Persona 4 Arena, KOF IV, Killer Instinct. That's all I can get on the top of my head. 

Well, the emphasis was on good and well-balanced games. I know that there are a lot of fighting games out there, too many to dig through by myself, which is why I asked this question :)

As for your suggestions:

- Skullgirls: Never had any contact with it. Did you play it, and/or can you provide some details?

- DOA5: I liked your comment about hit stun being a large factor in this game, I'm interested, I might check that one out.

- Guilty Gear / BlazBlue: Played a game from both series, but I didn't like the obnoxious juggle combos against the invisible wall at the end of the stages. Requiring skill or no, IMHO that's just a stupid mechanic.

- Mortal Kombat: Tried it, but couldn't get into it, the controls feel extremely laggy and non-fluent.

- Persona 4: No clue about that one, will need to look into it. Played a lot of Shin Megami Tensei stuff, but never persona. And yes, I know that P4 Arena is a spin-off with totally different gameplay. I'll take a look.

- King of Fighters: How does it compare to Tekken / DOA? Seems very similar to me...

- Killer Instinct: First time I hear about this game. I'll need to do some research :)

Always brushed if off as a fighting game.

My reaction to Smash. Probably 90% of the FGC's reaction to it for that matter.

It's more of a brawler than an actual fighting game like the naruto and dragon ball budakai series of games. A "casualized" version of a fighting game is what I hear people describe it.

Can't really think of anything to add. Dark pretty much covered the big ones that are being played by the FGC.

Well I would add Marvel vs. Capcom 3 on the list but judging as op hates advance juggles on side walls which is a staple of every 2d fighting game, just ignore it.

*facepalm* forgot about that one.  :P

Just remembered Street Fighter 5 lol. Thee most basic fighting game compared to the one's already mentioned so it's a good game to start if you're new to the genre.

Well I would add Marvel vs. Capcom 3 on the list but judging as op hates advance juggles on side walls which is a staple of every 2d fighting game, just ignore it.

Just remembered Street Fighter 5 lol. Thee most basic fighting game compared to the one's already mentioned so it's a good game to start if you're new to the genre.

Smash is the most basic.

Smash is the most basic.

Well yeah since it's a brawler. :lol:

I can't remember the name of this one but it has a praying mantis a girl with a sword a guy with a chain saw/chain saws for a hand/hands. In the game if you timed it right you could take off a persons head arm/arms leg/legs or hack them all off. But even if you whacked their arms off they can still win. Battle ends no arms wins.

I can't remember the name of this one but it has a praying mantis a girl with a sword a guy with a chain saw/chain saws for a hand/hands. In the game if you timed it right you could take off a persons head arm/arms leg/legs or hack them all off. But even if you whacked their arms off they can still win. Battle ends no arms wins.

I remember a ps1 game that fits the description. Forgot the title though.

Always brushed if off as a fighting game.

My reaction to Smash. Probably 90% of the FGC's reaction to it for that matter.

Lol running gag on the FGC. It brings big bucks and crowd at EVO so it can be anything the fanbase wants.

Street Fighter is good place to start like Rias said. It covers pretty much the basics of fighting games plus it's not juggle heavy so it might be your cup of tea.

Wait a minute, is SFV actually finished? lol

Archived