CTD approaching chest

I can't progress the main quest because I can't retrieve my items after infiltrating the Thalmor Embassy quest. When I approach the chest at the Riverwood inn, the game crashes. 

Here's my load order if it helps 

http://pastebin.com/c4fZf1wv

If anything, maybe my game has some script errors somewhere. I'm going to try new game and see if I can approach the chest then

*Update*

Yep, I tried new game and I was able to approach the chest without any CTD. So is there something in my game that has been corrupted?

*Second Update*

Loaded a save file before I infiltrated the Thalmor embassy. Fast travelled to Riverwood and approached the chest that would store my items. DIdn't encounter CTD. Is it possible there's something in my equipment that's causing it to crash?

Is it when you open the chest? or just when approaching the chest?

If it is the later it might be something completely different thing that just happen to be in the same place / area than the chest.

Since you were able to approach it in previous load games it migh also be something completely situational and that only happened by chance (like an actor in the Inn trying to do something or getting stuck, or things like that)

You could try using a previous save game and repeat the quest and see what happens

If you get the same result then we know it wasnt chance but something more consistent

On a side note: i noticed you dont have USLEEP installed.

While Alternative Start : Live another life does not depend on that patch i noticed these on the changes:

Version 3.1.3

One of the child beds was mismarked with a chest keyword instead of a bed keyword so it would not get set properly in aliases for multiple adoptions. 
Added a railing around the stairway to the basement of the farmhouse. Can't have the kids falling in! 
Forwarded fixes from USLEEP 3.0.1 for tavern acoustic spaces and music.

Also, depending on what version of A.S.L.A.L you are using (may be you are using an old one) i noticed there were some fixes done

Version 3.0.7

I if playing a Thalmor start, the Thalmor Embassy would not reset properly for Diplomatic Immunity either, which could then seriously break the main quest.

Those might have nothing to do with your problem, but it wont hurt giving a try

Is it when you open the chest? or just when approaching the chest?

If it is the later it might be something completely different thing that just happen to be in the same place / area than the chest.

Since you were able to approach it in previous load games it migh also be something completely situational and that only happened by chance (like an actor in the Inn trying to do something or getting stuck, or things like that)

You could try using a previous save game and repeat the quest and see what happens

If you get the same result then we know it wasnt chance but something more consistent

On a side note: i noticed you dont have USLEEP installed.

While Alternative Start : Live another life does not depend on that patch i noticed these on the changes:

Version 3.1.3

One of the child beds was mismarked with a chest keyword instead of a bed keyword so it would not get set properly in aliases for multiple adoptions. 

Added a railing around the stairway to the basement of the farmhouse. Can't have the kids falling in! 

Forwarded fixes from USLEEP 3.0.1 for tavern acoustic spaces and music.

Also, depending on what version of A.S.L.A.L you are using (may be you are using an old one) i noticed there were some fixes done

Version 3.0.7

I if playing a Thalmor start, the Thalmor Embassy would not reset properly for Diplomatic Immunity either, which could then seriously break the main quest.

Those might have nothing to do with your problem, but it wont hurt giving a try

Nope, only when approaching the chest. I even tried typing "tcl" on the console command to try and approach the chest from the walls but no success. The moment I'm a few inches away, it CTDs. Also I believe this only occurs when my equipment is in the chest after Delphine took them before infiltrating the Thalmor embassy. 

Ummm sorry for the noob question, but what's USLEEP? Abd ASLAL? >.<

Either way, do you think this could be scripting problem or mod conflicts? I have to admit, I did recently uninstall the mod "Wildcats" mid-playthrough, a combat overhaul recently uploaded on nexusmods. 

Nope, only when approaching the chest. I even tried typing "tcl" on the console command to try and approach the chest from the walls but no success. The moment I'm a few inches away, it CTDs. Also I believe this only occurs when my equipment is in the chest after Delphine took them before infiltrating the Thalmor embassy. 

Either way, do you think this could be scripting problem or mod conflicts? I have to admit, I did recently uninstall the mod "Wildcats" mid-playthrough, a combat overhaul recently uploaded on nexusmods. 

USLEEP is Unofficial Skyrim Legenedary Edition Patch  and replaces the 3 old Unofficial patches (dawnguard, hearthfire and dragonborn). If you install it place it after unofficial dragonborn patch. Do not disable the old patches to avoid hurting your current game. Do it on your next "new game".

ASLAL is : Alternative Start: Live Another Life (a mod that you listed as active in your load order). If you have an updated version you should use USLEEP since it uses fixes from that patch.

The fact that you CTD when you approach the chest and not when you open it leads me to belive the problem is something else and not because the chest is now "not empty". If there it would be something wrong with its content you would crash the second you enter the cell where the chest is, since all objects and actors are loaded on cell change. I suspect there is something else happening somewhere else (but nearby) and its a coincidence that when you approach the chest the game wants to load that cell and you get the CTD

Thats why i suggested if you could try redoing the quest and see if you get the same result.

You mentioned you uninstalled a combat mod. Did you use a save cleaner afterwards?

I do not know if it is true or not, and if it is true i do not know if all combat mods do it, but i was once told that these type of mods leave scripts / effects even on dead bodies. This could be just a guess but if you did not use a save cleaner may be the game is trying to load dead bodies with orphan scripts.

If on the contrary, it is a mesh / lighting conflict you should be able to approach the chest by walking to it backwards (not facing the chest). You could try this too

USLEEP is Unofficial Skyrim Legenedary Edition Patch  and replaces the 3 old Unofficial patches (dawnguard, hearthfire and dragonborn). If you install it place it after unofficial dragonborn patch. Do not disable the old patches to avoid hurting your current game. Do it on your next "new game".

ASLAL is : Alternative Start: Live Another Life (a mod that you listed as active in your load order). If you have an updated version you should use USLEEP since it uses fixes from that patch.

The fact that you CTD when you approach the chest and not when you open it leads me to belive the problem is something else and not because the chest is now "not empty". If there it would be something wrong with its content you would crash the second you enter the cell where the chest is, since all objects and actors are loaded on cell change. I suspect there is something else happening somewhere else (but nearby) and its a coincidence that when you approach the chest the game wants to load that cell and you get the CTD

Thats why i suggested if you could try redoing the quest and see if you get the same result.

You mentioned you uninstalled a combat mod. Did you use a save cleaner afterwards?

I do not know if it is true or not, and if it is true i do not know if all combat mods do it, but i was once told that these type of mods leave scripts / effects even on dead bodies. This could be just a guess but if you did not use a save cleaner may be the game is trying to load dead bodies with orphan scripts.

If on the contrary, it is a mesh / lighting conflict you should be able to approach the chest by walking to it backwards (not facing the chest). You could try this too

Here's the thing. Currently playing a new game but I'm already at level 2. So I installed USLEEP and now the game gave me a warning to remove the old patches (Skyrim, Dawnguard etc) or it will damage my game. Should I disable them even though it's already mid playthrough? Just start a new game again? Because I am using the latest update for ASLAL at the moment.

No, I didn't use a save cleaner. Honestly, I didn't know about this save cleaner until you brought it up and I went to read about it. It's been a year since I started coming into modding but there's still so many things I don't know *sigh*

Here's the thing. Currently playing a new game but I'm already at level 2. So I installed USLEEP and now the game gave me a warning to remove the old patches (Skyrim, Dawnguard etc) or it will damage my game. Should I disable them even though it's already mid playthrough? Just start a new game again? Because I am using the latest update for ASLAL at the moment.

No, I didn't use a save cleaner. Honestly, I didn't know about this save cleaner until you brought it up and I went to read about it. It's been a year since I started coming into modding but there's still so many things I don't know *sigh*

Wait, what? you are doing the embassy quest and you are still level 2? o.O

Anyway, considering you never used the save cleaner and that you have to remove the old patches then i would suggest you to start a new game.

Or you could ignore it and use the save cleaner after you install USLEEP and remove the old patch and cross your fingers. (You need to get into the game and save it, then exit and then clean it)

Save cleaner  http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52363/?

In case that when you deactivate Unofficial Skyrim Patch you find you have a mod that had that patch as a master file use this http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/71316/?

Wait, what? you are doing the embassy quest and you are still level 2? o.O

Anyway, considering you never used the save cleaner and that you have to remove the old patches then i would suggest you to start a new game.

Or you could ignore it and use the save cleaner after you install USLEEP and remove the old patch and cross your fingers. (You need to get into the game and save it, then exit and then clean it)

Save cleaner  http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52363/?

In case that when you deactivate Unofficial Skyrim Patch you find you have a mod that had that patch as a master file use this http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/71316/?

Ah I should have clarified. The embassy was with my level 26 character but since I couldn't retrieve my equipments, I decided to play new game. Then I read your suggestion about getting the USLEEP for the latest ASLAL (which was level 2 when I read your suggestion).

But it's fine. I've made another new game since the level 2 playthrough is only an hour in so it isn't too far. I've got USLEEP to work with the latest ASLAL. 

Anyway thanks for all your help. I've learned a lot! :)

Archived