Eye Question

Does anyone else have a problem where the right eye looks different from the left eye? If so, do you know how to fix it? It looks as if the right eye has black eyeliner on or something and the left eye doesn't (which the character has no make up on).

Could be something with the UV on the headmesh not lining up with the diffuse properly.

Do you know how I could fix it, or is that something I could fix with a new face texture?

Do you know how I could fix it, or is that something I could fix with a new face texture?

Post a screenshot of the issue and indicate which femalehead.dds and femalehead.nif assets you're using (assuming those are the correct assets - you haven't specified). Once you do that, I can offer some specific advice.

More generally, you can use Nifskope to export the UV as a TGA image, which you can then use as an overlay on the DDS texture to see where the dark patches are. From there, you can either alter the texture to fit the UV or adjust the UV in Nifskope. If you choose to edit the UV, take care that you don't alter it too much - femalehead.tri morphs rely on vertex coordinates being where they are and changing the UV too much will cause obvious stretching of the texture. You'll get better results by editing the DDS texture to match the UV of the mesh being used.

Post a screenshot of the issue and indicate which femalehead.dds and femalehead.nif assets you're using (assuming those are the correct assets - you haven't specified). Once you do that, I can offer some specific advice.More generally, you can use Nifskope to export the UV as a TGA image, which you can then use as an overlay on the DDS texture to see where the dark patches are. From there, you can either alter the texture to fit the UV or adjust the UV in Nifskope. If you choose to edit the UV, take care that you don't alter it too much - femalehead.tri morphs rely on vertex coordinates being where they are and changing the UV too much will cause obvious stretching of the texture. You'll get better results by editing the DDS texture to match the UV of the mesh being used.

Okay, I'll get a good screenshot tomorrow and post it here, thank you.

I am using using Tetro's femalehead.dds and the regular vanilla femalehead.nif 

Tetro's face textures (http://tetrodoxin.tumblr.com/tagged/mods)

That texture, which is derived from the "real girls" texture, has had a lot of black added to the parts of the UV that are located behind the eye meshes (the eye socket).  If it's used with a head mesh that has a different UV map than the one used by the author, you'll likely see much of that black around the eyes.

Base texture:

78b8edd7e7.jpg

Default femalehead.nif UV:

bd1c1f27e3.jpg

Note how much of the black is located outside the eye socket portion of the UV over the left eye (the one on the right side of the texture) due to the asymmetry of the UV mapping in the default femalehead.nif.

Head mesh with symmetrical UV:

9225b42082.jpg

Many people seem to use a head mesh with a modified UV that makes the area above the eyes more symmetrical.  The head meshes included in ECE, Ran's head meshes and some custom races all use such a head mesh.  I'm sure the author was using such a mesh when this texture was made. 

Some textures are made for the default UV (e.g. Mature Skin) and using such textures with a modified head mesh will distort the texture above the eyes, giving the appearance that one eye is squinted.  If you want to know for certain whether the texture and mesh you're using are compatible, you'll want to overlay the mesh's UV onto the texture...or you can simply look at the femalehead.dds and see whether one eye socket has a different shape from the other.

Thank you for the explanation. I'll just try new textures and possibly a new head mesh. I am really looking for one that isn't too pixelated and still contains a "young" look to it.

I am also having terrible troubles with a neck seam right now. I have been using Mature young skin with Tetro's custom head textures and a neck seam has appeared now, which I didn't have a while ago (and I am using the same mods). I am not quite worried about the eyes right now, so I'll just keep messing around with different textures. It seems that the custom .msn textures when applied to the head are causing the seam, which I have already tried fixing with photoshop, but it's still not working. I am also using Elven Overhaul, but that shouldn't matter.

Do you use RaceMenu?

Since RaceMenu has two sets of eye morphs, if you use both, they don't play well together. You need to use only one and disable the other (set to 0). I noticed this issue long ago and didn't switch to RM3 until that was in.

See screenshots in this post: http://www.loverslab.com/topic/39343-racemenu-v325b/page-18?do=findComment&comment=1037861

If your issue looks like that, it's RaceMenu morphs conflicting.

Thank you for the explanation. I'll just try new textures and possibly a new head mesh. I am really looking for one that isn't too pixelated and still contains a "young" look to it.

I am also having terrible troubles with a neck seam right now. I have been using Mature young skin with Tetro's custom head textures and a neck seam has appeared now, which I didn't have a while ago (and I am using the same mods). I am not quite worried about the eyes right now, so I'll just keep messing around with different textures. It seems that the custom .msn textures when applied to the head are causing the seam, which I have already tried fixing with photoshop, but it's still not working. I am also using Elven Overhaul, but that shouldn't matter.

You will always encounter a "seam" (or more correctly, a texture mismatch) when you use head and body textures from different sources. You can use something like a texture blender, but it will simply mask the neck region with some other texture. This may reduce or remove the mismatch, but will remove most of the details in that region which can look just as bad if you're using a diffuse texture with a lot of detail (like "mature skin") or a decent normal map. For best results, you'll want to create a gradient mask from one texture to the other so that you have a smooth transition between the two. Some diffuse textures won't blend well without altering the color balance of one to more closely match the other.

Yes I do use RaceMenu, and when you mean there are "two sets of eye morphs" do you mean Eye 2 and Elf Eyes sliders?

Racemenu includes morphs for the default chargen/chargen extension eye shapes ("Eye Shape") and ECE ("Eye Shape 2"). You should only use one eye shape slider at a time. Attempting to use one while the other is not at "0" will result in one morph being applied to an already morphed state which will always produce an incorrect result.

You will always encounter a "seam" (or more correctly, a texture mismatch) when you use head and body textures from different sources. You can use something like a texture blender, but it will simply mask the neck region with some other texture. This may reduce or remove the mismatch, but will remove most of the details in that region which can look just as bad if you're using a diffuse texture with a lot of detail (like "mature skin") or a decent normal map. For best results, you'll want to create a gradient mask from one texture to the other so that you have a smooth transition between the two. Some diffuse textures won't blend well without altering the color balance of one to more closely match the other.

It's weird because I have uninstalled all of my texture mods and there's still a neck seam. I am getting frustrated and don't know what to do.

You can fix this instantly by getting the head from Enhanced Character Edit or Adorable Face (femalehead.nif). They come with a new mesh head that fixes that problem. Don't worry, your head won't look different, it will just fix that problem :)

Archived