Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas?

Hi guys, as you probably know steam sales are already started and so I would like to get one or both these Fallout. Anyways I have a few indecisions:

- Will they run on windows 10? I heard that Fallout 3 expecially has some problems.

- Which environment and story is better between these two?

- Which one has morre/better mod support?

- Is the gameplay too similar? Has fallout new vegas improved the gameplay?

Thanks in advance for help!

1: From the small testing I did a while back when Win10 was released, they both ran without issues (though you may need to use the dual-core ini fix)

2: New Vegas has way more story options, choices affect the world much more than in F3.

3: New Vegas has an updated engine, so more advanced mods are available for it.

4: New Vegas has a better crafting system with weapon mods and custom ammo and food system, as well as a hardcore mode that requires you to eat/drink/sleep and some other things.  Combat wise, it is basically the same.

If you want to, buy both of them with all the DLC (Ultimate/GOTY versions), then use the mod Tale of Two Wastelands to move the entire Fallout 3 game into New Vegas, just like a mod.  That way you can play both games in the New Vegas engine, and have access to both TTW and New Vegas mods, and move between the Fallout 3 Wasteland and New Vegas Mojave.

FO3 has issues to get it going under Windows 7,8 and I assume 10, you have to search through a lot of forums and apply four or 5 fixes to get it to work. Though I believe if you want to play F)3 under the FONV engine by using TTW, you don't actually need FO3 to be functional, just have the files for TTW to copy over.

NV works straight out of the box on Win 7 & 10, no idea about 10.

FO3 has issues to get it going under Windows 7,8 and I assume 10, you have to search through a lot of forums and apply four or 5 fixes to get it to work. Though I believe if you want to play F)3 under the FONV engine by using TTW, you don't actually need FO3 to be functional, just have the files for TTW to copy over.

NV works straight out of the box on Win 7 & 10, no idea about 10.

Fallout New Vegas works just as well on Windows 10 as it did on 7 and 8(.1)

Thanks for the answers :) . I ended up buying FONV since I was short on money and so I had to decide just for one purchase. If the game will run ok and i'll like it too then i'll get FO3 too in the next sale.

By the way if you want Fallout NV to crash less you can use this guide I wrote: http://www.loverslab.com/blog/362/entry-2149-modded-fallout-new-vegas-series-part-1-avoiding-crashes/(the guide isn't perfect but it covers the most common and important ways to prevent Fallout NV from crashing)

Thanks for the answers :) . I ended up buying FONV since I was short on money and so I had to decide just for one purchase. If the game will run ok and i'll like it too then i'll get FO3 too in the next sale.

By the way if you want Fallout NV to crash less you can use this guide I wrote: http://www.loverslab.com/blog/362/entry-2149-modded-fallout-new-vegas-series-part-1-avoiding-crashes/(the guide isn't perfect but it covers the most common and important ways to prevent Fallout NV from crashing)

Thank you very much ^^ . Is there a guide somewhere to properly start modding in this game? I would like to not screw over and reinstall everything from scratch

Guest endgameaddiction

You'll get used to MO with Fallout. It's really program friendly with Fallout. Not like NMM because of the way it was built. It was pretty much a no no for Fallout. Especially Fallout 3. FOMM or MO is your best choice for Fallout 3 and New Vegas. And if you are going to go with FOMM, prideslayer's updated FOMM on here is better than the old one on Nexus.

You'll get used to MO with Fallout. It's really program friendly with Fallout. Not like NMM because of the way it was built. It was pretty much a no no for Fallout. Especially Fallout 3. FOMM or MO is your best choice for Fallout 3 and New Vegas. And if you are going to go with FOMM, prideslayer's updated FOMM on here is better than the old one on Nexus.

Thanks for the suggestion ^^ . I think i will stay with MO for now since i've basically understood how it does work

Guest endgameaddiction

You need to use Fallout 3 plugins that are converted for TTW. You can't just use a Fallout 3 mod without the support of New Vegas + TTW. There's a tutorial around some where to do it yourself, however, I believe the TTW site/forums has many converted Fallout 3 to TTW mods.

Okay i had some time to work on Fallout and i followed the guide that was suggested before but i'm stuck. When it says: At the main menu, open the console (Default ` ) and type EXACTLY "getNVSEVersion"; the answer should be Version 5

I'm not getting that message, i have put just the exe and the helper dll like it was suggested on the mod page. Any help? Thanks in advance

Archived