What settings would cause an ENB to look washed out (like Opethfeldt)?

Fredas

This has always bugged me.  Opethfeldt remains basically the only ENB out there, that I have discovered, which is capable of delivering a pretty good example of sunlit scenery, with a little tweaking.  (RealVision can come close but it disqualifies itself for being married to CoT.)  But it comes with a severe handicap in the form of a distinct and unique washing out of detail.  (The "A State of Trance" guy uses the only other similarly capable ENB I know of, but it's one he mostly put together himself and he'll probably release it at about the time people finally stop playing Skyrim.)

I recently decided to see if I couldn't figure out the nature of the detail-destroying phenomenon.  It turns out it's not as simple as too much bloom.  Something is literally flattening detail, and this becomes very apparent when one flips between Opethfeldt and another ENB like TRU ENB.  Highly detailed skin normalmaps in the latter case show up with detailed shadowing, while Opethfeldt renders this as an almost smooth surface, very nearly like there's no normalmap at all.

I've flipped on/off everything the ENB gui gives me.  Nothing has any effect on this phenomenon.  I'm at a loss.  It would be extremely satisfying to solve this matter because apart from the issue of the washed-out look, Opethfeldt remains the best ENB I know of.

Trying fix why that enb is looking washed out, is far beyond my simple knowledge but may i be so bold as to recommend,

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/58338/?tab=4&&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fcomments%2F%3Fmod_id%3D58338%26page%3D1%26sort%3DDESC%26pid%3D0%26thread_id%3D2124724&pUp=1

If u want a enb preset that makes ur face go :o, then try that enb preset but be warned even with my high end rig. I emm barely passing by, with 23-25 fps at biggest dips and around 29-30 on average. I promise you if u can handle this enb u will be happy.

I appreciate the recommendation.  The truth of the matter is that K ENB underscores my particular conundrum.  What most people, including fans of K ENB, seem to want from their ENB is a certain style, a certain tone, or something cinematic.  What I want is basically the closest thing I can get to what you would end up with if you took a 35mm film camera outside on a sunny day and shot some footage, or if you could take snapshots with your own eyes.  Bright, crisp, natural, realistic.  For reference: This and this.  As I said, only the old Opethfeldt and the ASOT guy's custom ENB have done this.  Obviously it doesn't take some K ENB-like processing to get this result; it just requires the correct settings.

This has always bugged me.  Opethfeldt remains basically the only ENB out there, that I have discovered, which is capable of delivering a pretty good example of sunlit scenery, with a little tweaking.  (RealVision can come close but it disqualifies itself for being married to CoT.)  But it comes with a severe handicap in the form of a distinct and unique washing out of detail.  (The "A State of Trance" guy uses the only other similarly capable ENB I know of, but it's one he mostly put together himself and he'll probably release it at about the time people finally stop playing Skyrim.) 

I recently decided to see if I couldn't figure out the nature of the detail-destroying phenomenon.  It turns out it's not as simple as too much bloom.  Something is literally flattening detail, and this becomes very apparent when one flips between Opethfeldt and another ENB like TRU ENB.  Highly detailed skin normalmaps in the latter case show up with detailed shadowing, while Opethfeldt renders this as an almost smooth surface, very nearly like there's no normalmap at all.

I've flipped on/off everything the ENB gui gives me.  Nothing has any effect on this phenomenon.  I'm at a loss.  It would be extremely satisfying to solve this matter because apart from the issue of the washed-out look, Opethfeldt remains the best ENB I know of.

1/ Bloom

2/ Bloom

3/ Bloom... okay, Sharpening. I don't know how much of it Opethfeldt uses, but if it's like NLA it can probably use more. (easiest way without changing core ENB files to add more would be to use SweetFX and enable the Lumasharpen shader).

4/ Subsurface Scattering settings. You can pretty much kill all details on the skin with it if it's badly set up (or if that's what you're trying to do for god knows what reason), that might well be the culprit.

By the way, Unreal will not release his preset, ever. I could be wrong in theory of course, but it has as much chance of happening as me getting hit by a meteorite the next time I step outside. It's not like we're really missing on much either way, even his shots which are by his own admission tweaked each time for the occasion often show some obvious flaws. His preset's look is not even all that hard to replicate for specific conditions for someone with a bit of experience with ENB tweaking. What's hard is making something that consistently looks at least decent in every condition.

Take a look at Dahaka ENB when that actually releases - which should be soon - maybe you'll like it. There's also the preset of that kakasi104 guy which is more or less an imitation of Unreal's look, but I don't think he's really close to finishing it. Other than that there's all these presets like TRU that you mentioned, none of them are all that convincing imo.

I'm making a realistic-ish preset myself but I doubt I'll ever properly release it, its loadsa work to make something actually good and I'm hardly that motivated to finish it.

I usually remove the imagebased lightning from opethfeldt and that has usually worked for me ^^

But yeah, that's just how the enb is. It's known for washing out the colors and such. It's just how it was made and that's how it's known.

You can also just fix it yourself in the effect if i remember correctly. 

I appreciate the recommendation.  The truth of the matter is that K ENB underscores my particular conundrum.  What most people, including fans of K ENB, seem to want from their ENB is a certain style, a certain tone, or something cinematic.  What I want is basically the closest thing I can get to what you would end up with if you took a 35mm film camera outside on a sunny day and shot some footage, or if you could take snapshots with your own eyes.  Bright, crisp, natural, realistic.  For reference: This and this.  As I said, only the old Opethfeldt and the ASOT guy's custom ENB have done this.  Obviously it doesn't take some K ENB-like processing to get this result; it just requires the correct settings.

Truevision enb does a good job of setting a realistic tone and provides a good crisp visual effect. As for sun settings it should be easy to tweak how you want.

You have to remember unr3al also use a personal sweetfx most of the time, which can make a huge difference. Plus opethfeld used unr3al's pictures a few times if i remember correctly.

1/ Bloom

2/ Bloom

Yep, often.  Not in this case, though. ;p  I cannot begrudge bloom because without it, there is absolutely no way a given screenshot is going to look photoreal.  Specular reflections and such really, really need a glow of some kind to get the point across.  Anyway, turning it completely off (along with the lens crap) does nothing to alleviate the issue in Opethfeldt's case.

3/ Bloom... okay, Sharpening. I don't know how much of it Opethfeldt uses, but if it's like NLA it can probably use more. (easiest way without changing core ENB files to add more would be to use SweetFX and enable the Lumasharpen shader).

4/ Subsurface Scattering settings. You can pretty much kill all details on the skin with it if it's badly set up (or if that's what you're trying to do for god knows what reason), that might well be the culprit.

I'll look into it, thanks.  (Simply turning off the scattering doesn't bring back the detail.  But it does make characters less flesh-colored.)

Take a look at Dahaka ENB when that actually releases - which should be soon - maybe you'll like it. There's also the preset of that kakasi104 guy which is more or less an imitation of Unreal's look, but I don't think he's really close to finishing it. Other than that there's all these presets like TRU that you mentioned, none of them are all that convincing imo.

I'm making a realistic-ish preset myself but I doubt I'll ever properly release it, its loadsa work to make something actually good and I'm hardly that motivated to finish it.

I looked at a video of Dahaka, and it seems to be a lot like HRK.  Appealing to the eyes, but not making any particular point to be photoreal.  More like a contrast-neutral ENB.  When it's essentially clear outside, shadows must be sharp, contrast must be max and reflections must be piercing.

You are right about kakasi104.  Holy crap, that's a good ENB.  You know, so far.  I would donate for something that good.  As you point out, though... if the guy's been working on it for a year or more and is at the point where he doesn't even update more than once a month, it's taking too long.

TRU ENB is maybe the best current hope.  TRU is what that kakasi104 ENB probably used to be before he figured out what was needed to make the sun shine.  I would be tempted to fiddle with it to get some better results, but that's a big hole to dive down, and TRU uniquely has some weird issues like an apparently fubared adaptation and an apparent complete absence of anything you'd call dark.  (Not counting the moments when adaptation would dip into pure black.)

You have to remember unr3al also use a personal sweetfx most of the time, which can make a huge difference. Plus opethfeld used unr3al's pictures a few times if i remember correctly.

I can't say for sure whether or not that's true, but Opethfeldt is pretty old, and in any event Unr3al's preset was originally based on Opethfeldt (likely because he felt, as I did, that it was pretty much the only ENB that seemed to be pushing for photorealism).

1/ Bloom

2/ Bloom

Yep, often.  Not in this case, though. ;p  I cannot begrudge bloom because without it, there is absolutely no way a given screenshot is going to look photoreal.  Specular reflections and such really, really need a glow of some kind to get the point across.  Anyway, turning it completely off (along with the lens crap) does nothing to alleviate the issue in Opethfeldt's case.

I'll look into it, thanks.  (Simply turning off the scattering doesn't bring back the detail.  But it does make characters less flesh-colored.)

I looked at a video of Dahaka, and it seems to be a lot like HRK.  Appealing to the eyes, but not making any particular point to be photoreal.  More like a contrast-neutral ENB.  When it's essentially clear outside, shadows must be sharp, contrast must be max and reflections must be piercing.

You are right about kakasi104.  Holy crap, that's a good ENB.  You know, so far.  I would donate for something that good.  As you point out, though... if the guy's been working on it for a year or more and is at the point where he doesn't even update more than once a month, it's taking too long.

TRU ENB is maybe the best current hope.  TRU is what that kakasi104 ENB probably used to be before he figured out what was needed to make the sun shine.  I would be tempted to fiddle with it to get some better results, but that's a big hole to dive down, and TRU uniquely has some weird issues like an apparently fubared adaptation and an apparent complete absence of anything you'd call dark.  (Not counting the moments when adaptation would dip into pure black.)

I can't say for sure whether or not that's true, but Opethfeldt is pretty old, and in any event Unr3al's preset was originally based on Opethfeldt (likely because he felt, as I did, that it was pretty much the only ENB that seemed to be pushing for photorealism).

Yes, but unr3al also put out information on his old preset. Stuff like mods included etc etc. Remember mods like realistic lightning overhaul, ultra realistic lightning and such all makes a difference in lightning AND color. But yeah, unr3al also tweaked the enb a lot for each screenshot, to make it look the best depending on the weather and place. Since 1 enb can look really different depending on the weather, angle and so on which they also both have said ^^

Yes, but unr3al also put out information on his old preset. Stuff like mods included etc etc. Remember mods like realistic lightning overhaul, ultra realistic lightning and such all makes a difference in lightning AND color. But yeah, unr3al also tweaked the enb a lot for each screenshot, to make it look the best depending on the weather and place. Since 1 enb can look really different depending on the weather, angle and so on which they also both have said ^^

I don't doubt it.  But I am currently thinking about the kakasi104 ENB.  I've taken the time to review most of the pre-release material and it is gobsmackingly good.  He mostly shows off perfectly clear days, naturally, but there are a few shots of nighttime and he gets those spot-on - both with and without the aurorae.  It is tempting to suggest that the concern over tweaking settings on a per-exposition basis is less one of necessity and more one of not yet having already tweaked all of the ENB scenarios appropriately.

Speaking of lighting overhauls and such... I am iffy on those.  I value the vanilla experience, and many such mods (ELFX) take things further than visual tweaks, entering into outright changing the gaming experience.  That said, it seems as though kakasi104's ENB intends to rely upon CoT, which I have particular issues with.  But if that's what it will take to get something that good, then so be it.

Man, a lot of text )) Looked on vids.
 All you need is ENB and some separate shader files with bloom and dof post fx files so you can make your own.You should look for info on shaders  http://enbseries.enbdev.com/forum/ there are already new fx like bloom\rain droplets\frost.
 In Enb the ultimate key is direct\sky\imagebased and ambient lighting for Env light control , shaders help with a tone (black and white,satur) ,contrast,sharp,bloom\dof\sunsprite params. In my enb use NLA v1.0 esp (new somehow destroys all the light for me ) it helps with imagebased params and i suggest it very much with relighting skrm (no scripts).Prob you should make your own nether searching perfection  ;) 

Good summary of tips, thanks.

I've come to the conclusion that the kakasi104 ENB (which for all I truly know may never actually be released) is as close to perfection as I could ever want, at least insofar as providing that sunny look that literally no other game, under any possible circumstance, has provided in the history of gaming.  Nights aren't fubared.  I can't comment on interiors or even non-sunny daytime because no material has showcased those scenarios, but this is definitely the ENB I'm focusing on.  This ENB and the HDT-based SOS are basically the last things I'm waiting on before actually playing Skyrim as opposed to making mods for it.

Honestly SweetFX isn't really relevant to this, you can pretty do much anything that it does in ENB, except for SMAA ;)

I don't doubt it.  But I am currently thinking about the kakasi104 ENB.  I've taken the time to review most of the pre-release material and it is gobsmackingly good.  He mostly shows off perfectly clear days, naturally, but there are a few shots of nighttime and he gets those spot-on - both with and without the aurorae.  It is tempting to suggest that the concern over tweaking settings on a per-exposition basis is less one of necessity and more one of not yet having already tweaked all of the ENB scenarios appropriately.

Speaking of lighting overhauls and such... I am iffy on those.  I value the vanilla experience, and many such mods (ELFX) take things further than visual tweaks, entering into outright changing the gaming experience.  That said, it seems as though kakasi104's ENB intends to rely upon CoT, which I have particular issues with.  But if that's what it will take to get something that good, then so be it.

I don't think you can really have a definitive opinion by screenshots alone. It's fairly easy to make stuff that looks great / near-perfect in a specific instance, but it's very, very hard to make a balanced preset all around. So it's not really fair to compare handpicked screenshots with an actually

released preset that is released and that you can try and see the strong points and the flaws by yourself.

Man, a lot of text )) Looked on vids.

All you need is ENB and some separate shader files with bloom and dof post fx files so you can make your own.You should look for info on shaders  http://enbseries.enbdev.com/forum/ there are already new fx like bloom\rain droplets\frost.

In Enb the ultimate key is direct\sky\imagebased and ambient lighting for Env light control , shaders help with a tone (black and white,satur) ,contrast,sharp,bloom\dof\sunsprite params. In my enb use NLA v1.0 esp (new somehow destroys all the light for me ) it helps with imagebased params and i suggest it very much with relighting skrm (no scripts).Prob you should make your own nether searching perfection  ;) 

Lol, I can only say that I find your recommendations pretty good to say the least because I use similar mods to yours : NLA v2.0 beta for weather esp, and Relighting Skyrim + ELE light for interiors. You're very right about lighting settings, the impact that ambient lighting and direct lighting settings alone can have is really huge :P

Good summary of tips, thanks.

I've come to the conclusion that the kakasi104 ENB (which for all I truly know may never actually be released) is as close to perfection as I could ever want, at least insofar as providing that sunny look that literally no other game, under any possible circumstance, has provided in the history of gaming.  Nights aren't fubared.  I can't comment on interiors or even non-sunny daytime because no material has showcased those scenarios, but this is definitely the ENB I'm focusing on.  This ENB and the HDT-based SOS are basically the last things I'm waiting on before actually playing Skyrim as opposed to making mods for it.

If sunny clear weathers are mainly what you're interested in, I'd second what romeozero said : it might be worth it for you to make your own edit of a preset to get it. Sure it might be a bit of work, but it's nothing comparable with making a new preset from scratch, plus you seem to know quite a bit already, it's just a matter of fiddling with settings to get what you want.

Honestly SweetFX isn't really relevant to this, you can pretty do much anything that it does in ENB, except for SMAA ;)

I know, but in this case i was talking about the procedure unr3al went through to finish his enb and take screenshots. I also know that back then, unr3eal didn't use an image either in the enb and relied a lot on the effect :b

I don't think you can really have a definitive opinion by screenshots alone. It's fairly easy to make stuff that looks great / near-perfect in a specific instance, but it's very, very hard to make a balanced preset all around. So it's not really fair to compare handpicked screenshots with an actually

released preset that is released and that you can try and see the strong points and the flaws by yourself.

Screenshots by themselves, maybe not.  But video can be very convincing.

If sunny clear weathers are mainly what you're interested in, I'd second what romeozero said : it might be worth it for you to make your own edit of a preset to get it. Sure it might be a bit of work, but it's nothing comparable with making a new preset from scratch, plus you seem to know quite a bit already, it's just a matter of fiddling with settings to get what you want.

Oh, I've fiddled around with it enough to know that it's a more exacting process than I have the patience for.  I can't even pin down why Opethfeldt (exclusively!) has that washed-out look.  If it were as easy as you suggest, we wouldn't have the current situation where everyone drools over how great Unr3al's ENB looks while they use whatever comparatively lackluster ENB happens to be actually available for download, and while the one guy actually making a good showing of replicating Unr3al's ENB has been tinkering at it for a year and doesn't seem to be anywhere near a release.  (Actually I would say that kakasi104's ENB already out-Unr3als Unr3al's ENB.)

Screenshots by themselves, maybe not.  But video can be very convincing.

Well, even a video is very limited, he's only showing you a specific place over the day, in 2 weathers or so... There's just no replacement for actually trying the preset ingame, on different weathers and TODs.

Oh, I've fiddled around with it enough to know that it's a more exacting process than I have the patience for.  I can't even pin down why Opethfeldt (exclusively!) has that washed-out look.  If it were as easy as you suggest, we wouldn't have the current situation where everyone drools over how great Unr3al's ENB looks while they use whatever comparatively lackluster ENB happens to be actually available for download, and while the one guy actually making a good showing of replicating Unr3al's ENB has been tinkering at it for a year and doesn't seem to be anywhere near a release.  (Actually I would say that kakasi104's ENB already out-Unr3als Unr3al's ENB.)

Maybe my words didn't properly convey what I was thinking, sorry : I meant that it's fairly simple on principle, at least. But it's extremely time consuming to get everything (mostly) right. What you're saying is validating what I was saying : it's taking very long for kakasi to release his preset, because, well, he's making an actual preset that should look correct in every condition while playing, unlike Unreal and his "I just tweak my preset to take a few screenshots and will never finish/release my ENB" stuff, or other released presets that look very inconsistant, great in one place and terrible in the next.

As for why Opethfeldt is washed out, no idea. I've already told you pretty much what could cause it I think. I assume you've already tried disabling every effect one by one to see what happens ?

All in all, well who knows, you might end up getting what you wish for one of these days, there seems to be quite a few people making "realistic" style presets lately, hopefully one of them will be "the" one, kakasi's or another :) I think the fact that ENB for Skyrim is largely finished / not getting updated much anymore helps too, people know they can take the time to make a great preset and it won't be outdated after 3 months because there's some new super cool ENB feature that would take loads of work to properly use in their preset. Just don't expect a preset will that will look always right in every scenario, it's just never going to happen with a free mod that's made by a single person in an open world game etc, just too much work.

Just don't expect a preset will that will look always right in every scenario, it's just never going to happen with a free mod that's made by a single person in an open world game etc, just too much work.

Eh.  I'm going to be brutally honest here: Within a certain reasonable scope, I almost don't care what the non-sunny-day scenarios look like.  Virtually any ENB you'd care to name can do any of those acceptably well, and that's for no more complicated a reason than there is nothing especially demanding in terms of one's compositional skill.  In fact, the effective absence of the demands of realistic plays of light not only meshes well with how most ENBs look, it is also the reason why you have to single out Unr3al or kakasi104 as lone exceptions to the absolute standard of video game graphics.  I do not begrudge kakasi104's deliberate focus on his sunlit result because, without a shadow of a doubt, that particular result will ultimately have taken longer to "get right" than the entirety of the rest of his ENB.

Just don't expect a preset will that will look always right in every scenario, it's just never going to happen with a free mod that's made by a single person in an open world game etc, just too much work.

Eh.  I'm going to be brutally honest here: Within a certain reasonable scope, I almost don't care what the non-sunny-day scenarios look like.  Virtually any ENB you'd care to name can do any of those acceptably well, and that's for no more complicated a reason than there is nothing especially demanding in terms of one's compositional skill.  In fact, the effective absence of the demands of realistic plays of light not only meshes well with how most ENBs look, it is also the reason why you have to single out Unr3al or kakasi104 as lone exceptions to the absolute standard of video game graphics.  I do not begrudge kakasi104's deliberate focus on his sunlit result because, without a shadow of a doubt, that particular result will ultimately have taken longer to "get right" than the entirety of the rest of his ENB.

I wouldn't go that far, but you're right that it's certainly a lot work than say, foggy weathers (a.k.a. flood almost the whole screen with mist and you're pretty much done) :P

I wouldn't go that far, but you're right that it's certainly a lot work than say, foggy weathers (a.k.a. flood almost the whole screen with mist and you're pretty much done) :P

Hah, precisely.  And that's probably more work than many other scenarios.  Interiors?  Using ELFX; done.  Outside when it's overcast?  Turn off all those great sunny tweaks so it looks like 99% of all ENBs out there; done.

Archived