The EA Origins Discussion Thread

Are the benefits of Origins worth the infringement on your privacy?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are the benefits of Origins worth the infringement on your privacy?

• They Do
    • They Don't
    • Indifferent

I don't know' date=' I don't like the idea yet I highly doubt it's going to personally going to have an effect on individuals, they're probably too busy running a business to care about what someone does, all they're going to do is send you surveys and stuff? Or maybe something more...

[/quote']

From what I've read about this, they will have something which will fish through your PC looking for any pirated apps. Now, I don't own any pirated apps (I know... weird isn't it?) BUT I know damned well that one way they will likely do it is to spot any cracked .exe you have.

Since I use a lot of cracked .exe files to play my legally owned games without having to stick the fucking disc in every time, how likely is it that EA would label me as a thief? (and what will they do with that information? We already know... they will send that info to the publishers. Fancy being taken to court? I don't)

Am I doing anything wrong? Technically, no... Do I feel it's fine for EA to go sniffing around looking for something illegal? No...

As I said earlier... "If you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to worry about..." Well, I've got nothing to hide, but false accusations and whatever comes from it (EA will have evidence of my "wrong-doing", remember?) is something to seriously worry about.

Looking at the poll so far I'm kind of surprised' date=' everyone so far is in agreement that the exclusive games do not outweigh the fact that origins is able to view your stuff. Maybe I worded my OP too harshly?

After all, aren't we monitored by certain programs already? Facebook, twitter, myspace, steam etc.

I don't know if I'm paranoid or what, but maybe you guys are hiding stuffzorz on your comps that musn't be seen by others? I'm not accusing, but the negative response is kind of alarming, every other board I've been to had a mixed bag of responses and opinions (although some are filled with trolls and idiots).

It's probably not going to happen that EA people are going to pinpoint your comp and go see what you do there for their enjoyment. You installed our program? Cool, now go play some BF3 while we suck in more customers.

I don't know, I don't like the idea yet I highly doubt it's going to personally going to have an effect on individuals, they're probably too busy running a business to care about what someone does, all they're going to do is send you surveys and stuff? Or maybe something more...

Another thing: What if ME3 for the PC required Origins, would you still not get it?

[/quote']

Not everyone who likes their privacy is doing illegal stuff. Heck, if that were the case, I think we could label almost the entire world as criminals. I don't like it when other people know more about me than I do, and I shudder to think what they could do with all the information they collect. From the first time I got an invite to someone's Hyves, I've refused to even look at it. I don't have a Steam account (yet, will probably be forced to get one for Skyrim) as up until now I've been able to buy all the games I wanted to play the old-fashioned way (you know, those shiny round things they used to make). Twitter? Never been on there, not a clue how it works. All I know is that when it became a hype in the media all of a sudden, I got the urge to avoid it. People seem all too willing to barter away their privacy now, without any idea what consequences it may have later. If there's one thing we can learn from the whole wikileaks affair, it's that you only need one disgruntled employee and whatever was left of your privacy will also be out on the street, regardless of any privacy policy.

Ah' date=' Canada...

The country where one can get drunk, smash a stranger's baby face against a sidewalk, and get out of jail in 3 year due ot past violent behavior with alcohol~~

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/winnipeg-woman-smashed-babys-head-against-sidewalk-gets-145905534.html

[/quote']

It can be much, much, much worse than that. Up until recently we credit for time served in the local lockup. Meaning judges could credit 1 day to equal 2, 3, 4 and there was one case where a judge did 10 days. So if you were sentenced to 5 years, and you'd already been in for 2.5, and got 2:1. You'd already served your full sentence. There was a case in Toronto where some bottom feeding shithead killed(2nd degree) a kid, and got 6 years. For pre-trial custody held under 3:1 with time served, he went in for 1 day.

There are many things I like about Canada, but the judicial system is far too soft. And has swung way too far to the rights of the criminal over the rights of society. And that's regularly reflected in court briefs and case law. That's almost too depressing to read these days.

Try Canada' date=' we aren't so bad...it just gets cold in the Winter....really really cold. XD

[/quote']

Ah, Canada...

The country where one can get drunk, smash a stranger's baby face against a sidewalk, and get out of jail in 3 year due ot past violent behavior with alcohol~~

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/winnipeg-woman-smashed-babys-head-against-sidewalk-gets-145905534.html

People have gotten out of jail time in America for far worse crimes. Just sayin.

Try Canada' date=' we aren't so bad...it just gets cold in the Winter....really really cold. XD

[/quote']

Ah, Canada...

People have gotten out of jail time in America for far worse crimes. Just sayin.

Actually, in Florida, apprantly you can commit murder and get away with it...Casey Anthony.

And Jolly Good England, you can abuse a baby till it's dead, go to jail for only 5 year, and when you're out, the tax payer have to pay for plastic surgery and a new identity for you...Peter Connelly

And don't forget Japan and it's youth protection law, regarding the case of Junko Furuta.

...In conclusion...Move to mars, it's the safest place in this galaxy.

[/quote']

Ah, Canada...

Actually, in Florida, apprantly you can commit murder and get away with it...Casey Anthony.

And Jolly Good England, you can abuse a baby till it's dead, go to jail for only 5 year, and when you're out, the tax payer have to pay for plastic surgery and a new identity for you...Peter Connelly

And don't forget Japan and it's youth protection law, regarding the case of Junko Furuta.

...In conclusion...Move to mars, it's the safest place in this galaxy.

At least on Mars theres no EA....seriously I hate them. I wish they didn't own the rights to games like Crysis, Battlefield, etc...it seems wrong that I have to pay money to them to enjoy those games. This is why people pirate stuff because it's criminal to pay these companies to continue to do the things that they do.

I must cynical as hell because I'm not particular alarmed or concerned whether Origins collects information on me or not.

I expect to cop some flack for this. :P

There's a few reasons. One is that information about me can be collected anyway if enough effort (and finances) is put in. Lawyers can access your credit rating and there's dozens of companies around the world that trade and purchase personal consumer information. So expecting anonymity in the future for online interactions is quite an ask.

The second is that EA has amended the EULA to collect non-indentifiable information about users. They know that computer #3245223 has Win 7 installed and has played Oblivion, COD:MW and Command and Conquer but they don't know which computer is where or who owns it. Steam and Google have much more intrusive EULAs, like Valve being able to record all communications through steam and charge you fees for cancelling your account.

The third is that this is a transaction. I'm not going to install Orgins for the heck of it, I expect for EA to use the information it collects in a way that benefits me. If it means better customer support and less annoying advertising, then I'm not adverse to using Origins.

Wow.... ea REALLY REALLY REALLY !MUST! HATE MY MONEY....

Im not going to buy ANYTHING from the anytime soon....

i hope they go bankrupt and slowly die....

Oh and lockergnome.com has a good article to add onto this >.>

http://goo.gl/jPPBr

Artile is 100% accurate, I loved Simcity!

So I just recently watched a friend of mine play the beta...

And Origins aside, It's pretty impressive. The graphics are amazing, it's got the BF feel, and it's chaotic. Of course the beta is buggy, and I have a few gripes (the "zombie hand" when you die gets old FAST) but it's pretty good. I'm not trying to taunt here, just reviewing what I've seen.

Actually' date=' in Florida, apprantly you can commit murder and get away with it...Casey Anthony.

[/quote']A trial by media, and an attempt by the prosecution to bump themselves in profile isn't any trial I'd want either. It was a clusterfuck of epic proportions. The media was bound to make her guilty, and the DA was holding onto the flimsiest of evidence, while the police botched everything because they wanted to make her guilty.

I'm reminded of that rape case up in duke. Yeah there's another railroad job.

Well, reading through the entire EULA again a few weeks ago and this is my response.

There's a few reasons. One is that information about me can be collected anyway if enough effort (and finances) is put in. Lawyers can access your credit rating and there's dozens of companies around the world that trade and purchase personal consumer information. So expecting anonymity in the future for online interactions is quite an ask.

This much is true. However' date=' I would still like the company that was collecting the information to still be accountable and actually ask before they start pulling info off my computer. Majority of companies still do and in my country (Australia), it is a legal right to do so. Unfortunately, this is online so the laws are powerless against this.

The second is that EA has amended the EULA to collect non-indentifiable information about users. They know that computer #3245223 has Win 7 installed and has played Oblivion, COD:MW and Command and Conquer but they don't know which computer is where or who owns it. Steam and Google have much more intrusive EULAs, like Valve being able to record all communications through steam and charge you fees for cancelling your account.

This is actually wrong. The information capture isn't anonymous. Okay, perhaps computer # 3485722 has what you said. But it will also indicate who it is through user names, IP addresses from the servers and what not. This is highly sensitive information that needs high protection from privacy.

Steam may have a worse EULA but at least the information is kept completely private and anonymous. Origin doesn't from what I can tell. They need three separate executables in order to launch BF3, Origin itself, a web browser and the game itself. This is a high privacy risk and a stupid design in terms of software independence. Also, Steam asks you if you want your information to be sent. You can opt out of this. Origin doesn't from their EULA.

The third is that this is a transaction. I'm not going to install Orgins for the heck of it' date=' I expect for EA to use the information it collects in a way that benefits me. If it means better customer support and less annoying advertising, then I'm not adverse to using Origins.

[/quote']

Unfortunately, that's where you're wrong again. In taking that information, you'll be subjected to more advertisements and surveys about 'X' product. Now, I buy a game to do one thing. Fucking play it, not dick around and do X survey to get X service. And EA already has crappy customer support to begin with. You can argue Valve does the same thing but at least they take it on board.