What do you think of Chef Gordon Ramsay?

Emily

Mah favorite chef' date=' hell's kitchen + kitchen nightmares, watch them on television when its on. He's really good as a chef, and awesome at ranting lol

[/quote']

Took the words right out my mouth. :P

He's not afraid to admit when he is wrong and unlike most chefs he does say seasoning is down to personal taste on some dishes.

One of his sadistic feature is throwing contestant horrible dishes into their face or dump (or slam) the dish along with it's plate to trash bin. Then chew out the guy who cook them.. The worst way to broke someone mental.

hellspgordonramsay15848.jpg

His Iron fist leadership skill is admirable. (He exactly like my mother.)

I think out of all the chefs you see on television he is the best one.

- He rewards people when they create a great idea or dish.

- He doesn't try to force a bias opinion on you.

- Charity man.

I watched the program about the puffin hunting but I didn't know about the shark fin one. You can find it on his Wikipedia page.

Life endangering experiences

In 2008, Ramsay was in Iceland's Westman Islands filming a puffin hunting segment when he lost his footing and fell during a descent of an 85m cliff, landing in the icy water below. He said, "I thought I was a goner", reaching the surface of the water by removing his heavy boots and waterproof clothing. His film crew, who rescued Ramsay by throwing him a rope, reported that he was submerged for at least 45 seconds. During the ordeal he remembers how he felt: "I was panicking and my lungs were filling with water. When I got to the top after getting my boots off I was dazed and my head was totally massive".[100] At first, Ramsay did not want to tell his wife. "I chickened out but she knew something was up. She was upset and extremely pissed off. When I was underwater, all I could think of was Tana and my kids. It wasn't until I was on the plane home I realised what a close call I'd had."[101]

In January 2011, while in Costa Rica, Ramsay was doused in petrol and held at gunpoint as he tried to uncover the dark world of illegal shark fin trading for a new TV show.[102] Ramsay stated:

They told me they’d shoot me. At one, I managed to shake off the people keeping us away, ran up some stairs to a rooftop and looked down to see thousands of fins, drying on rooftops for as far as the eye could see. When I got back downstairs, they tipped a barrel of petrol over me. Back at the wharf, there were people pointing rifles at us to stop us filming. A van pulled up and these seedy characters made us stand against a wall. The police came and advised us to leave the country.[103]

He's definitely entertaining. However I HIGHLY doubt that he is actually as much of an asshole as he is on Hells Kitchen. That show is obviously scripted for dramatic purposes. I like him a lot more in Masterchef, he's not a complete asshole. Not that I am complaining, he is very entertaining, whether he is calm or dropped f-bombs every 3 seconds.

I used to really love him in Kitchen Nightmares, but got tired of all the yelling. For a while though, the behind the scenes look at running a restaurant was fascinating. There's a knock off of that show by someone else (John Tapper?) that turns around bars. Same loudmouth type of personality, but the focus (money, money, money) is different and Tapper's insights into bars is much more "technical" you could say, then Ramsay's approach to restaurants (food, food, food).

I've only watched 2 episodes of Hotel Nightmares (?). I was surprised to see Ramsay try and turn around a hotel, but it was pretty much the same as Kitchen Nightmares.

I've only seen 1 season of Hell's Kitchen and did not care for it. He was too harsh, I prefer Top Chef and Chopped. I did like the one season of Masterchef I've seen (I think it was season 3). The other two chefs there seem to mellow him out a bit.

I need to eat at one of his restaurants some day.

There's another decent show similar to Kitchen Nightmares called Restaurant Impossible (on the Food Network). It stars a guy named Robert Irvine, he's pretty good actually. He basically has 2 days and $10,000 to fix restaurants that are going to shit. Similar to Kitchen Nightmares, but less swearing.

I quite like Gordon Ramsey, I think he would make a brilliant Dornovan-esque Drill Sargeant. I like him because even though he's a perfectionist and "shouty" he gets his point across, he isn't up himself like a lot of other chefs are (pompous and the likes) and I bet he isn't that much of an asshole IRL.

He reminds me a little of Michel Roux jr, another chef I really admire. Humble and modest, but really elegant and inspiring.

Archived