Your favorite tweaks and changes that don't count as mods?

thesapien

Instead of just searching for mods, I'm also curious what I can try that isn't a mod.

For example, for me, I like to set my language to Japanese, let Steam DL the sound files, then copy those files to another temp folder, reset the language to English, let Steam DL those sounds files again, then paste my Japanese version files over the English version and Presto! I've got Japanese voices working with English subtitles. Everyone is so much less annoying and even Lydia sounds kind of cute.

Any favorite console tweaks might also count in this category.

Something like ENB would also count, if you were to point to the ENB's website but it's in the grey area because there are versions over at Nexus called "mods". That's a tough one.

Changing ini files in kewl ways also counts!

But if it has an esp file and is downloadable as a mod, then it definitely doesn't count for what I'm asking.

So, fav's? What might I be missing when just browsing usual mods?

Hmm,

Disabling the steam cloud saving feature was a big plus for me

and deleting the intro movie file.

otherwise, adding the [Camera] to skyrim.ini and setting it down a few feet,

then 'player.setscale .7' and running round as a shrimp was fun,

you pretty much had to go first person to interact with objects though.

oh, setting the game to windowed mode and using SBW.exe (to full-screen it) made tabbing out a lot easier / more reliable.

Ah, as to tweaking the camera settings, I like to play with my character on the right instead of left because I love my bow and prefer having it pointed away from the camera and out of the way.

As to tabbing out, it always works for me in Win7 so long as I have something else opened, like an ini file or browser. If it's just my desktop, Alt+Tab won't work. And tabbing back in always requires me to tab select Skyrim twice in a row for some reason.

yeah I've heard win7 is quite a bit better for skyrim,

with XP if I don't use windowed mode, nothing will happen

(and if I do use windowed mode, as you said, it still requires another program to tab to)

(without) even if I used alt+ctrl+del, it would only show for a split second when I use the up & down keys, so for ages I would blindly try to find a flash of TESV to Del out when it froze XD

Archived