Making A Follower Using A Mod Race

RieFairy

I've been lurking the forums for a while but haven't really posted anywhere just yet, but when I saw that there were quite a few knowledgeable people here, I decided to ask.

I'm new to modding, but when I saw the Drow Race by Zazemel on the Nexus, I knew I wanted to make my own companion with it, since there is no adult male companion available with the companions in the mod. I followed instructions for several different tutorials on how to make a companion with the esp file loaded in the CK, plus any hair files I wanted to use, but when I put it in the load order, my game crashes to the desktop the second I try to walk into the tavern I placed the companion in.

From tutorials and messing around, I know the basics of creating a companion, but I'm unsure why it's not working. When I take the mod out, I'm able to enter the location I placed them in, so I know it's not my game that's acting up, but the mod. I don't have any mods that conflict with the race to the best of my knowledge (and I use NMM for my mods for easy handling), so I'm a bit confused. I have tried just making a companion with a vanilla race, and that works, so I'm doing something wrong with the Drow Race in the Creation Kit, so it's not working.

Anyone willing to help me out? Remember that I'm new to modding, so easy to understand answers would be preferable.

Thank you. :3

• 2 weeks later...

I finally found the answer!

I answered nearly the exact same question the same way' date=' but just so you don't miss it, here it is.

Custom race mods should be converted to master files if you have interest in creating anything other than a Playable Character. This process is universal for all custom race mods. The process is as follows:

1. Duplicate your race mod's .esp (i.e. .esp and - Copy.esp)

2. Rename mod copy and change file extension from .esp to .esm ( - Copy.esp ==> .esm)

3. Download tesvsnip from Nexusmods

4. Open mod copy file (.esm) in tesvsnip

5. Find and double click on the tes4 header on the tree on the left, a dialog box with lots of checkable boxes should appear

6. Check top left box : esm

7. Save file as .esm (Master File)

8. Bring the new .esm to the top of your mod load order, just below other esm's

9. Create npc esp's with esm loaded as master file in the Creation Kit

You can also change the original without duplicating the mod but it will corrupt any prior saved games. It will also become impossible to edit the file without converting it back, as the Creation Kit will not allow you to overwrite a master file. If you make changes to customize your .esp, you must delete your master file and duplicate a new one or they will conflict and likely cause a crash.

[/quote']

This worked for me perfectly. Though now my Skyrim is lagging really badly... It may be due to the 130+ mods I have, thus I'm going to do a bit of pruning.

Hope this works for you and everyone else who may be looking for this info. :D

I finally found the answer!

I answered nearly the exact same question the same way' date=' but just so you don't miss it, here it is.

Custom race mods should be converted to master files if you have interest in creating anything other than a Playable Character. This process is universal for all custom race mods. The process is as follows:

1. Duplicate your race mod's .esp (i.e. .esp and - Copy.esp)

2. Rename mod copy and change file extension from .esp to .esm ( - Copy.esp ==> .esm)

3. Download tesvsnip from Nexusmods

4. Open mod copy file (.esm) in tesvsnip

5. Find and double click on the tes4 header on the tree on the left, a dialog box with lots of checkable boxes should appear

6. Check top left box : esm

7. Save file as .esm (Master File)

8. Bring the new .esm to the top of your mod load order, just below other esm's

9. Create npc esp's with esm loaded as master file in the Creation Kit

You can also change the original without duplicating the mod but it will corrupt any prior saved games. It will also become impossible to edit the file without converting it back, as the Creation Kit will not allow you to overwrite a master file. If you make changes to customize your .esp, you must delete your master file and duplicate a new one or they will conflict and likely cause a crash.

[/quote']

This worked for me perfectly. Though now my Skyrim is lagging really badly... It may be due to the 130+ mods I have, thus I'm going to do a bit of pruning.

Hope this works for you and everyone else who may be looking for this info. :D

Thanks for finding that!

I actually figured out that fix after googling around a bit more, but this explanation is a lot easier to understand, whereas the other one I used took some trial and error! :3

Also, for your lagging, you can try using the Acceleration Layer here. It runs in the background, has no hit to your FPS...and it seriously makes Skyrim run like a dream. I had a lot of mods too, and it's especially useful if you run a ENB.

Archived