[Ren'Py] Wicked Choices

NathanSteele

I've been a long-time member here (most of you may’ve seen me in the Skyrim/Sexlab forums) and I am a massive eroge and anime fan… so I guess it only makes sense that I would eventually get around to making my own eroge Visual Novel game, so I introduce you to…

Wicked Choices

yBgi8Bl.png?1

In this monthly, episodic game you will assume the role of the two major characters… Michael Preston (or name of your choice) and Princess Lynara.
As Michael Preston, aided by Syrina the Demon Princess, you will find yourself trying to weave your way through a chaotic world filled with magic, dark desires, fetishes and pleasures of the flesh when it is revealed that you are the prophesied ‘Antichrist’ that has long been foretold about.

Meanwhile, as Princess Lynara and an angel, you discover that you are somehow tied to the ‘Antichrist’ and set yourself on a quest to locate and find him in the hopes of discovering what your connection to him might be… will you try and stop him from setting free and releasing the demons that have long been held prisoner?

Or, will you aid him in his mission?

[screenshots]

xUX2b5u.png?2

9NWoy5R.png

As you progress through this game, trying to uncover the secrets and reveal the truth behind centuries of deceit, lies and rumors, you face be faced with such subjects and fetishes as: Corruption, NTR, Incest, Bondage/BDSM, Humiliation, Mind Control, Gender-bender, Futa, Orgies and Demon/Monster sex…

You will decide the path you take and the side you’ll choose… but will it be the ‘right’ one?

Please visit my Patreon Page to download the PC or MAC version demo and let the adventure begin!

Take what i say with a grain of salt, I might be the only person who thinks this way...

• I like the fact that this feels from the beginning like it is going somewhere.
  • The art is good but borders on uncanny valley. Looks a little plastic specifically, but it is still better than most. The posing and backgrounds make up for that fact to look beyond amateurish.
  • Seriously the staging in your art is impressive. Her holding a shirt in her hand as an example, while the rest of the room is bare but adding the shirt gives the shot some immersion. Like showing shampoo, soap and conditioner in the shower is another example which gives the shot authenticity. Or the fact the boobs flatten on the glass.
  • Demo is SUPER short. This lasted only a few minutes.
  • The 18 year old looked like an 18 year old.

Not much I can say because of the length. It looks good, but can you keep up this quality? Are the branching paths going to be good if you go the non evil route? Will there be a logical beginning middle and end?

Hello XJ and thank you for taking the time to play the demo and offer your thoughts on it, I truly appreciate it!!

You really touched on some great points that most certainly has helped… not just in the way of improving things, but also shows me that I am on the right path with this.

Not trying to toot my own horn, but I think that the story is my strongest asset in this entire thing. It is one that I’ve spent many years working on and tweaking, so the characters and the situations, moods and experiences that they will find themselves in are really developed and I hope that is something that people will appreciate when playing my game.

Being as enthusiastic as I am in doing this, I had never once considered for a moment that no one would be willing to try to purchase the game without a demo to try to see the level of commitment that I have...  for both the game and the people who want to play it… so I took one of the many scenes from the full version game and made that into a demo, rather than trying to come up with undeveloped, new story content and coming across as ‘half-assed’ or hurt the quality of what I am trying to do with my title… sadly, because of this, the demo is short and I apologize for my lack of foresight in the marketing department of this.

The good news about this is, the level of quality that I currently have WILL ALWAYS be there and will only get better… as, with the exception of knowing that I needed a demo to attract people to give it a shot, I have been working on this production for most of this year and currently working on January’s release and the others have already been bug tested (by gamer friends) and are already packaged awaiting release.

We (the wife and I) choose to do it this way, because the last thing we want is for people to part with their hard-earned money for a product that fails to meet their expectations… or spotty release schedules (I really hate paying a monthly subscription only for a creator to skip a month!!!), so wanted to wait till I was ahead of the game before opening the doors or holding out my hand asking for money.

As for story branches… I think they will be good, with a good quality of content regardless of your choices. I don’t want to force players into following a strict path or punish players for not choosing to play the way I’d like them to play… if they DO get punished, it will be because it is logical to face consequences (storyline wise) for the choices they’ve made… and the ramifications of that choice will be present throughout.

In the first couple of episodes the choices are reflective of story set up and pacing, establishing the characters and the situation, the middle part of the game… once the cards are on the table and the reality of the situation has been fully explained with the choices truly begin to have a lasting effect on the outcome of the game… this is done for two reasons:

1.) Storyline-wise, the ‘powers’ and ‘gifts’ won’t be released till people are familiar with the truth of the situation… and by that point, they will already have an idea of the direction they will want to go through the first play through.

2.) Programing… I wanted to leave myself a good amount of room with the story to find someone much more capable to deliver to players SOLID assets for the choices they make beyond those that I can currently deliver to them with my limited skills. I can handle some of it, but want a better accounting system that is more complex and can, eventually, unlock more for players.

Please, those that are reading this, don’t misunderstand or think that your choices as they currently exist doesn’t carry ramifications or matter… because they do and will. But, I want to ensure players that when the time comes that this isn’t going to carry the same level of disappointment that many of us who played the Mass Effect Trilogy with Commander Shepard felt at the conclusion of BioWare’s game.

By the end of the game, with the accounting system that I want, I intend to have a very definitive ending, based on their choices and predilections than a simple pat on the back (or head) and a couple of ‘nice job’ images.

Like in life, sometimes we make the choices that we make because of where we are at in that moment, not because we really wanted to make that choice. But, because of the circumstance we were in, we made the one we made because it was the best available to us at the time and we have to ride the waves of the consequences that come with that choice…

…having a better skilled programmer will enable me to take that that into consideration with the story, record it and play that out throughout the story… one thing that really irks me in some games is, for example, a character gets in a tight situation, perhaps… say raped… but several scenes later that character has somehow ‘magically’ forgotten that it happened and continues to act like a slut…

…not the case in my game.

Hope that helps answer, explains and addresses some of your concerns and, again, thank you so much for trying it out and taking the time to share your thoughts, I really do appreciate it!!!

Because you were the first and did so, taking up your time to try it, when the first episode is released in September, I will privately send you the link to download it… your time is valuable and should be rewarded, so thank you!

~ASLPro3D

Take what i say with a grain of salt, I might be the only person who thinks this way...

• I like the fact that this feels from the beginning like it is going somewhere.
  • The art is good but borders on uncanny valley. Looks a little plastic specifically, but it is still better than most. The posing and backgrounds make up for that fact to look beyond amateurish.
  • Seriously the staging in your art is impressive. Her holding a shirt in her hand as an example, while the rest of the room is bare but adding the shirt gives the shot some immersion. Like showing shampoo, soap and conditioner in the shower is another example which gives the shot authenticity. Or the fact the boobs flatten on the glass.
  • Demo is SUPER short. This lasted only a few minutes.
  • The 18 year old looked like an 18 year old.

Not much I can say because of the length. It looks good, but can you keep up this quality? Are the branching paths going to be good if you go the non evil route? Will there be a logical beginning middle and end?

For clarification and those interested, here are the stats for the game by way of word count, image count and such...

The full version of the prologue to be released contains 775 dialogue blocks, containing 19,167 words with 17 menus, 292 images.

Chapter One contains 962 dialogue blocks, containing 23,625 words with 13 menus, 292 (new) images.

Can only echo what XJ said. Very strong visual style and great story telling, but after playing the demo I'm a little unsure how the game will play out. Will it all just be binary choices, or will there be other forms of interactions and activities, things which might not effect the next scene but if repeated enough might alter the relationship in the future? I guess I'm wondering if there is any kind of stat style elements, or other ways to influence the situation other than directly interacting with the characters? (If that makes any kind on sense, had trouble formulating my thoughts into words there!)

Oh also, the demo felt very real world based, yet the game clearly enters a much more fantasy scenario which I wouldn't mind a taste of in the demo. Clearly a lot of work, but a demo from the princess's side might illuminate this?

Hi RudeboyUK

Thank you for your interest in trying out the demo and your wonderful feedback, I really appreciate it.

​As for your question: You did fine, I get what you are asking. :)

​The "Prologue" part of the game (which will be released the first of next month) is pretty straight forward and simple selection choices dictates the path of the story (sort of like the old 'Choose Your Own Adventure' books that I had as a kid growing up. Truthfully, the reason for this was because I was still learning programming at the time (March/April) and really new to coding and python script... last time I coded anything it was in Cobalt and Basic (yeah, I am old... *sigh*)..

​The "Chapter One" game uses a hidden counter throughout the progression of the story, depending on the choices made and the final tally determines the closing sequence with the lovely Princess Lynara. While I was able to accomplish it, it was a pain in the butt and required a lot of testing from beta testers to be sure that it worked right... and made me decide that the best thing I could do for my patrons and players of the game, is use the money generated from my patron subscriptions to hire a REAL programmer, rather than a n00b like me.

​Future plans with a programmer includes a stat based system that will measure your activities to raise your power levels and skills in magic, and will also track and display in image/text Princess Lynara's corruption (if that is the route you want to take with her) level. 

​Other things will include a map/menu allowing a player to choose where they want to go and activities associated in that area if conditions are met, either if you decide at that time to play strictly as the Male character, or as Princess Lynara.

​That is likely going to be a couple of chapters in, depending on subscriptions and income generated... as I don't want the programmer to have to work for free.

​But, I hope that answers your question!

​(oh and PS: I don't ever, EVER, EVER want a player to have to keep redoing an action and be spammed the same scene over and over again... that is SO annoying in other games that I've played... I prefer new scenes, new dialogue to situations like that if they are available in game.)

Can only echo what XJ said. Very strong visual style and great story telling, but after playing the demo I'm a little unsure how the game will play out. Will it all just be binary choices, or will there be other forms of interactions and activities, things which might not effect the next scene but if repeated enough might alter the relationship in the future? I guess I'm wondering if there is any kind of stat style elements, or other ways to influence the situation other than directly interacting with the characters? (If that makes any kind on sense, had trouble formulating my thoughts into words there!)

Oh also, the demo felt very real world based, yet the game clearly enters a much more fantasy scenario which I wouldn't mind a taste of in the demo. Clearly a lot of work, but a demo from the princess's side might illuminate this?

Ahhh... the good ol' days! Man, scripting was much simpler back then... if line 1 =3 goto line 10... wish it was still that easy. lol

Thank you, that does make things clearer. And don't worry about the age thing. I started with BASIC to, typing in listings from magazines :D

• 1 month later...

Decided to jump the gun some and release the "Wicked Choices - Prologue" early, rather than waiting till Saturday... 

​The "Wicked Choices - Prologue" now replaces the small demo that I had released previously, giving everyone a chance to fully see what you can expect from us and our work.

​Here are the links to go and download it... 

"Wicked Choices - The Prologue" PC Version

"Wicked Choices - The Prologue" Mac Version

Please feel free to visit our PATREON PAGE to support us or stay up to date on current events, updates and news!

Enjoy!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I started the game & nothing but a black screen & a red blob in the middle.

thanx for nothing. moving on in this sea of scam.

​I don't do scams... but obviously you are having problems with your computer system and without any other information about your system, I am not sure how you expect me to be able to help you.

Without any information, the only guesses that I can provide is just that guess work... it could be the result of trying to run the wrong version for your OS (like trying to start a MAC executable on a PC, or vise versa without a bridge or emulator). or it can be that your system is trying to adjust your screen settings to accept the HD 1920x1080 resolution that the game uses... or it could be the result of unpacking incorrectly.

Sorry I can't provide more help, but without information, I don't see how you expect help... but saying I am scamming people is harsh and uncalled for.

I started the game & nothing but a black screen & a red blob in the middle.

thanx for nothing. moving on in this sea of scam.

I did not have any problem running the game, so clearly the issue has something to do with your computer.

​Thanks Chadrain and hoped you liked it. :)

I played that expansion from Sept. It added that nice hook to show the audience what sex scenes we will have in the future, and I have to say I like it. i'm still a little confused on what is going on with the other world, but I assume that confusion is intentional. We will slowly discover this other world in the next update i'm guessing.

Keep up the good work.

Got it to work! I was clicking the wrong start up icon.

So I didn't find a fullscreen button or option.

Also dialogue would be easier to see if it was black with white letters.

I get a headache reading black letters with white background so I couldn't get far. bummer

I played that expansion from Sept. It added that nice hook to show the audience what sex scenes we will have in the future, and I have to say I like it. i'm still a little confused on what is going on with the other world, but I assume that confusion is intentional. We will slowly discover this other world in the next update i'm guessing.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks XJ!

​Things will become very, very clear soon... overwhelmingly so! ;) 

Glad you are enjoying it!

Got it to work! I was clicking the wrong start up icon.

So I didn't find a fullscreen button or option.

Also dialogue would be easier to see if it was black with white letters.

I get a headache reading black letters with white background so I couldn't get far. bummer

Glad to hear that you were able to discover what was wrong and why it wasn't loading up properly.

To go Fullscreen you have to go into preferences in the game menu and that will enable that.

As for the text, personally, I have a problem with white text on a black background, as the text ends up looking blurry to me and also, with the semi-white transparent text box, you can still see some of the detail of the artwork of the game whereas with the black, it doesn't opaque enough to still see the artwork behind the text area.

Sorry that you won't be able to enjoy and play our game though. :( 

How about an option for white w/ black text AND black w/ white letters?

Isn't this the age of options?

​As far as I know, Ren'Py (unlike RPGMaker) doesn't allow menu changes like that, all of the menus are graphical and can easily be flipped to "negative", but multiple features like selecting font colors and menu displays by the users isn't currently available... so regretfully, not able to add that option. :( 

post-122242-0-49014300-1508937291.png

Wicked Choices: Chapter One is now available for download for $1 subscribers!

​Unfortunately, because of Patreon's new crackdown on "Adult" content, the game could only be made available behind a "paywall". *sigh*

But I am sure that there are other places where it can be found. 

People who actually want to have a public version can Post it on Mega.NZ and put a link to it here.  Claiming that Patreon's rules prevent a public version is just an excuse.  It also doesn't conform with Loverslab's rules regarding Paywalls and patreons.  People who use this site to advertise their games are subject to the rules here, even though they are poorly enforced at the moment.

People who actually want to have a public version can Post it on Mega.NZ and put a link to it here.  Claiming that Patreon's rules prevent a public version is just an excuse.  It also doesn't conform with Loverslab's rules regarding Paywalls and patreons.  People who use this site to advertise their games are subject to the rules here, even though they are poorly enforced at the moment.

Yes, I know, was informing people who were used going to my Patreon to download it, as well as, get the updates and artwork that I had to move all of the stuff and nudity behind their "paywal"...

but here are the links for anyone who wants 'em.

Wicked Choices: Chapter One

WINDOWS Version: https://mega.nz/#!pGg0WRRA!21twTFDL2IzxGOstEZfUcMTLDIoh9GO0evlGf7nyjCE

MAC Version: https://mega.nz/#!FSYVnYgZ!ZseZgFP8Jn12Tzg0nqVLerD0VIszE2B_jXr-HXx8xIQ

• 2 months later...
Hello Everyone!!

Just wanted to share this month's exciting "Wicked Choices: Chapter Three" with all you that now includes new features that have added to the software!!

If you are interested in what the new features are, you can visit our public thread about it here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/wicked-choices-1-15625860

Please note, because of the new changes to the software you'll have to play the game from the beginning again (if you've already played the previous version) so the software can record your choices and remember, because of the new framework, your old saves won’t work any longer!!

We hope that you enjoy this and thank you for your interest in our game!

So here are the links for you, we hope you enjoy it and look forward to hearing any thoughts you might have!!

We hope that you enjoy it and are having a great holiday season!!
  • 1 year later...

Archived