Enabling mods for FO4

Been away from the game for a year and a half now (since shortly after launch) and trying to mod it again. Downloaded a preset, made sure I had all the required files, installed mods through NMM (63.14-I mention that because I have read it is buggy, don't know that for sure though). Set the archive invalidation changes, made the edits to CustomPrefs.ini, checked the plugins.txt in the Local folder for proper format, anything I could remember or read up on to do. I am launching the game with F4SE as an fyi.

Launching the game under the preset mod's save game file, i get the message for missing esp's that I have installed and are activated and sorted, and laoding the game gives me black eyes, bald head, and a generally fucked up looking character. The FAQ on the page basically says if you get those problems, the req mods aren't installed. I've installed them, so I can only think that maybe I don't have my game set up to be modded correctly? Is there something I missed perhaps that anyone can think of?

Archived